Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM

48 posts, read 92,083 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering moving to Waco for good. If I decide to do it, I will need to buy a house (a town home/condo or a single-family home). I am writing to ask you to tell me the best school districts in Waco. Which zip codes would be good to start searching? My budget is $200,000.00 or below.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 PM

227 posts, read 385,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamberlo View Post
Hi, I am considering moving to Waco for good. If I decide to do it, I will need to buy a house (a town home/condo or a single-family home). I am writing to ask you to tell me the best school districts in Waco. Which zip codes would be good to start searching? My budget is $200,000.00 or below.

Thank you.
Why Waco? Seriously, unless you have a fantastic job opportunity or have family in Waco, I would absolutely avoid it at all costs. If it's Texas you want then there are many better places than Waco.

If you have to move to Waco, the most highly regarded ISD is Midway. I think it's overrated but it is the most highly regarded. Woodway is preferable to Hewitt but both are MISD.

Another good option is Lorena ISD. Lorena is much smaller and a little more rural. Very good option.

China Spring has been good in the past but has been suffering from rapid growth. I think I would avoid it at this time.

I've heard both negative and positive about Robinson.

Most people would recommend avoiding Waco ISD.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM

5,454 posts, read 7,752,127 times
Start with 76712 which is Woodway and parts of West Waco and mostly falls into the Midway ISD school district. But verify the district because some corners of Woodway are in Waco ISD.

After that look at Hewitt which is still in the Midway ISD but cheaper than Woodway. Further out in the suburbs you have China Spring and Lorena which have their own school districts that are more rural and smaller than Midway. I would skip Robinson all things being equal. They have been voting down school levies lately and scores are falling.

The majority of upper middle class professional people in the Waco area (doctors, lawyers, professors, engineers, and executives live in the Midway ISD attendance area and send their kids to Midway schools if that tells you anything. China Spring and Lorena would be next on the list for those seeking a more rural lifestyle.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Thank you for the very useful information. What is so "not good" about Waco? Can you please educate me? Thank you.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamberlo View Post
Thank you for the very useful information. What is so "not good" about Waco? Can you please educate me? Thank you.
There is usually several threads showing on Waco. I don't know how to pull up old threads, tried several searches but only two or three threads showed up. But there have been hundreds of opinions on Waco on here. Maybe someone can explain how to pull up old threads, rather than rehashing the same points over again, for you. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM

OK, thank you, Mark Senior. I am quite a newbie here. I do not mind about the religious image of Waco.

Thinking about it more, I guess Waco may be a bigger version of College Station: a college town. I did live in College Station for more than ten years. In a little exaggerated manner, I always say that, the only large employer there is Texas A&M. My theory is: if one does not like one's job there, there is limited chance that one can change jobs easily. This is a drawback,despite the peaceful life in College Station. Actually, to me, the quality of life there is quite high.

Is the above also true in Waco?
Thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Waco also doesn't have a lot of industry outside of the college. If you set looking for good job opportunities, you won't find them there...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Thank you, Christie!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM

227 posts, read 385,978 times
Waco is really not a college town but it is a very low income area. I'd say it's actually more industrial than college town. There are some major employers in the area and Baylor is not even the biggest employer. I think L-3 is the biggest employer.

You will find a lot of poverty in Waco and many of the issues that go along with that. I read on a thread somewhere here that Waco is a small town with all the problems of a large city. That's about the best description I've read of Waco.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas