Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 PM

660 posts, read 2,442,000 times

Advertisements

hi
I'm planning on relocating to Texas within a few years and need some help
I don't speak spanish only english,I'm white female early 20's with a little girl who will be turning 4 by the time I plan to go
I'm looking for more of a small town thats not too expensive with preschools and babysitting options with an active church community,has bars and stores ( which are the only places I would have experience working in and that has things to do for smaller kids,thats in easy access to a bigger city that has a costcos store,tanning salons,and the same things in the small town only more of it
I dont care if it gets very hot cause I like the warmer weather better and would like to be in distance as well to a pool lake or beach
I know this sounds like alot of stuff to ask for but if any of you know a place like this it would be greatly appreciated to hear your information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,228,017 times
Texas is very big and has different types of area i.e. the Gulf Coast, the Piney Woods in East Texas, barren areas of West Texas, the Hill Country, etc.

Do you have an idea where in Texas you'd like to live? There are tons of places in Texas like you describe but it would be easier if you name an area and then people in that area would better be able to help you.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:28 AM

660 posts, read 2,442,000 times
Dont have any specific place but this 1 lady told me about Garland so that seems like a pretty good place thanks for your help though

Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM

Garland has a population of over 217,000 people, not small town living for sure. It's northeast of Dallas and not very far away from Dallas. The median home cost is about $113,000. I would say that a young woman with a little girl would want to live somewhere where the crime isn't so high. In Garland, it's twice as high as the average in the whole country. As is most of Texas, the summers are long and extremely hot. There are man-made lakes all over Texas, so water wouldn't be hard to find.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,860 times
I agree with amjb,Garland is pretty crowded. You might look at Tarrant county if your looking in the DFW area. Bedford is a nice small city with a lot to offer. easy access to the airport & half way between Dallas & Fort Worth. There are so many great towns in Texas that fit your wants,but I don't think Garland is one of them. You need to come take a "discover Texas" trip. We've got piney woods, rolling plains, the hill country, the gulf coast, desert,etc. Come on down!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 AM

61 posts, read 290,886 times
I am also considering Garland,but I am not looking for small town living.Is their anything specific other than the size that would make me want to steer clear of Garland?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
Garland is fine. It is not crowded. LOL!!! That is funny. Driven in Plano, McKinney, Allen or Frisco recently? That is crowded. Garland is a large city but still has a very downhome comfortable feel and the attitude. The attitude of the people makes the difference. While it is a large city it has not had the HUGE influx of transplants that other cities/suburbs have had over the years. As a native Dallasite and someone that has lived in just about every suburb on the North side of Dallas, Garland can not be beat. I've lived here for 15 years and even though I am not a "native" of G-Town people around here treat you just like you grew up here. It's really nice because at school functions, church functions, sporting events, etc not only do I get to meet my kids friends parents but their grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins, etc. It really is a HUGE family place. And being that it is a large city w/ a large business base most people work and live in the same community. Along w/ being involved in it, attend church at one of the many around (most of which have some kind of preschool program), still go to the Friday night football games, etc. That is the differnce. We have all of the conviences of a large city (we are one) but the attitude of the people makes it inviting. And don't dare gossip because you never know who that person knows . LOL!!! Everyone knows everyone around here. Or their family. Garland has also been great about having all levels of homes so that those that grew up here, went off to college and either started their own business (lots of those around this town) or came back "home" to get a job can find a place to live in their hometown. Raise their kids and still be involved in a community that they grew up in. We have the parades that everyone is either in it, their kids are or they just go watch because it is a family tradition.

Your prerequistes:
Small town - it is a large city but with a very small town feel and attitude.
Not too expensive - you can find some very affordable living around here. Still a very nice area but more affordable than other suburbs.
Preschools - just about all of the churches have some kind of mothers day out program and there are some good daycares that are very reasonable w/ good curriculiums.
Babysitting - I'll give you the list of mine as long as you don't steal them completely away from me. Since it is that small town feel you will easily get to know people and families and the kids do babysit.
Active church community - lol, one of the first questions you may be asked is where you go to church. No one will pressure you to go.
Stores, retail, tanning salons - oh yeah. New mall and new stores coming in every day, Firewheel Town Center

If you need specifics just ask.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:29 PM

130 posts, read 873,662 times
I don't understand how anyone in the DFW area can make claims about their city. I lived there. You drive and leave one city and right into the next and you can't even tell!! To me there are no cities, it is just one BIG Dallas!!
Just my opinion, as far as rent and house prices, if you see any offer that sounds too good to be true, it's probably is.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
I don't understand how anyone in the DFW area can make claims about their city. I lived there. You drive and leave one city and right into the next and you can't even tell!! To me there are no cities, it is just one BIG Dallas!!
Just my opinion, as far as rent and house prices, if you see any offer that sounds too good to be true, it's probably is.

How very true, conanS!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
I do live in a large city that is considered a suburb of Dallas. Never said that G-Town was NOT a large city. What I did say is that it the attitude that makes the difference. The attitude of the people that live and work here make it feel less rush-rush, crowded & such. Yes the Dallas area has grown and the suburbs/cities/towns all run together. Once upon a time if you were going North on I-35 out of Dallas once you left Carrollton you did not see much of anything till you got to Lewisville. Then you left Lewisville and crossed over the lake and saw a few exits for places like Lake Dallas, Corinth, etc but basically nothing till you got to Denton. Now it all just runs together. Back then going to Frisco, McKinney, etc? LOL!!! That was a day trip and there WAS NO TRAFFIC. Just black top country roads (except for 75 to get to McKinney if you were coming from that side of town). Same w/ Sunnyvale, that was WAY OUT in the country.

What else makes the difference is the building density. Plano does have a higher density as there are more apartments and apartments all clustered together in areas. Homes built on smaller lots, etc. The traffic level is night and day difference. Travel down El Dorado Pkwy in McKinney on a weekday during the day, not rush hour, LOTS of traffic. Anything NEAR Stonebridge Mall in Frisco during ANYTIME of day, LOTS of traffic.

Been here all of my life, too long to say, seen the entire Dallas area grow by leaps and bounds. Seen some areas completely change their character, etc. But I can personally attest to the fact that the traffic level is MUCH lower on this side of the metroplex than it is over around Plano and such and that the attitude is DRASTICALLY different. Much more small town feel even though it is one of the top 10 largest cities in the state (has been for a LONG time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas