Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I am a Texas Roads fanatic. I am also an interstate guru. I have spent years absorbing myself with map knowledge and visions of future roads for the United States. The one thing I haven't done out of all this is write my congressman to initiate at least a study of possible future roads that the federal government could endorse for future use. If needed, of course.

I've seen a few things shared on these El Paso threads, so I'd like to kick this can around for a little bit. It's something that was brought up in another thread, so I'd like to bring it over here. You El Pasoans know about U.S. 54. It goes northeastward from your city up to Alamogordo, New Mexico and on into the heartland states. The freeway portion only exists in northeast El Paso. I have examined potential ideas for future interstate highways in Texas, and I have included El Paso in one of them. A preliminary idea for a future interstate, if one is to exist in El Paso, would include U.S. 54 in its path. The idea I've looked at would connect El Paso with Alamogordo, Artesia, Brownfield, TX, Lubbock and Wichita Falls, where it would connect with I-44's current terminus point. Other roadies out there have had similar thoughts. I'd like your thoughts on this. Can an interstate connection work on U.S. 54 from El Paso? It would be your second long distance interstate if such a thing existed in El Paso (connecting with I-10, of course). Could this happen?

Let me hear from you now. Please know that what's been mentioned here is not even on the drawing board yet, folks -- it's just an idea. I'll be back with more.

Last edited by case44; 11-28-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Adjustment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
I thought it was a 2 lane divided highway all the way between us now? I know they have done lots of work to it in recent years.

Well after looking at Google Maps, I see it is a 2 lane divided highway all the way to Orogrande. And then just after it divides again and is that way all the way to Alamogordo.

I think they should loop it around Orogrande, if they can.. that has been a speed trap for as far back as I can remember.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM

They may be upgrading it, Muhnay, but from the state line on northward, 54 is not a full-fledged freeway. It is high-speed and divided with full access, however. But it could have a potential to be more than it is now. Keep in mind that interstate freeway construction holds to a certain set of criteria. That's just the way the government has it all set.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times
Is it needed? Probably. Will it happen anytime soon? NO.
First they would have to take care of the decaying state of the rest of the roads like for example our collapsing bridges.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,842 times
I think the size of 54 will naturally call for expansion as El Paso & Alamogordo grow. I think that's probably the only thing keeping orogrande alive. Unless of course they build the highway around it.. As for a full fledged interstate, I don't know how far it would need to go beyond alamogordo though. I'm sure the importance of 54 further north greatly diminishes past alamogordo. I could be completely wrong. Maybe some other city further north would be interested in meandering down 54? Where exactly does this highway travel to?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
I think the size of 54 will naturally call for expansion as El Paso & Alamogordo grow. I think that's probably the only thing keeping orogrande alive. Unless of course they build the highway around it.. As for a full fledged interstate, I don't know how far it would need to go beyond alamogordo though. I'm sure the importance of 54 further north greatly diminishes past alamogordo. I could be completely wrong. Maybe some other city further north would be interested in meandering down 54? Where exactly does this highway travel to?
If we do see an interstate along 54, it won't run along the entire length of 54, but rather just up to Alamogordo, and then possibly run along U.S. 70 east from there to Cloudcroft, Artesia, and reentering into Texas toward Lubbock. The stretch that's in EP now would fit perfectly. It would not be a bad idea for travel. Not that the back roads are bad, but if you need to get some place faster, this would not be bad at all. Plus, the transportation of goods from El Paso across the country and truck traffic is inevitable. And with new troops to Fort Bliss come more cars.

Now, again, it's not even preliminary yet. Just an idea.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
I doubt if they ever would build it thru Cloudcroft (U.S.82) as that is a steep 20 mile climb winding around hills and canyons and then once at cloudcroft its another 25 to 30 miles slowly unwinding to the bottom of the mountains and still 2 lane all the way to Artesia.

Infact Semis (Logging semi's) coming down to Alamogordo usually hit about 20 mph and there are numerous ''Runaway Ramps'' in case they lose breaking power.

I think a better route is thru Ruidoso (U.S.70) as its already 4 lanes from Tularosa up to Ruidoso and also all the way to Roswell and the road is in a more straight position than US 82. After hitting Roswell it could continue on U.S. 70 up to Clovis then to Amarillo if i was a planner.

Good thread Case44........

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 11-28-2007 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Spell Check

Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
There is a thread in the Texas area called WALLACE TOWN. Well had he thought about doing it in Orogrande it may of taken off a whole lot better. Much more traffic.. and then the New improved Highway Case see's.. yeah it would of been a grand site... and a Muhnay Maker. =)

Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I doubt if they ever would build it thru Cloudcroft (U.S.82) as that is a steep 20 mile climb winding around hills and canyons and then once at cloudcroft its another 25 to 30 miles slowly unwinding to the bottom of the mountains and still 2 lane all the way to Artesia.

Infact Semis (Logging semi's) coming down to Alamogordo usually hit about 20 mph and there are numerous ''Runaway Ramps'' in case they lose breaking power.

I think a better route is thru Ruidoso (U.S.70) as its already 4 lanes from Tularosa up to Ruidoso and also all the way to Roswell and the road is in a more straight position than US 82. After hitting Roswell it could continue on U.S. 70 up to Clovis then to Amarillo if i was a planner.

Good thread Case44........
Obviously, anything would have to pass a feasibility study first. And good point on the steep slopes.

And thanks for the compliment!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
There is a thread in the Texas area called WALLACE TOWN. Well had he thought about doing it in Orogrande it may of taken off a whole lot better. Much more traffic.. and then the New improved Highway Case see's.. yeah it would of been a grand site... and a Muhnay Maker. =)
It's just that East Montana wouldn't work for a freeway, even though there's a connection to Carlsbad. Nope. Can't see it. I wouldn't want them to do it, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas