Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM

233 posts, read 836,116 times

Advertisements

LeneCityThrasher-
Thanks for your great post!! It brought a smile to my face & a laugh to my mouth & throat. After graduating McKinney, H.S. I attended Hardin-Simmons then ACU for something bigger but I didn't know it would be real strict, mostly mean & I'd get my *** handed to me for not being (R) or Church of Christ.

I grad. TX TECH for something kinder.

Later,
fallguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,150,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uktexn View Post
My husband and I are moving to Abilene this summer. I have read the post, but want to know if they are outdated. We have been told that we want Wylie schools over Abilene schools for our kids. Does anyone have any opinions on schools? My husband is also a rider,but of sport bikes. He was told there might be a track for him to race near by. Doe anyone know about those? I will also be job hunting, but in the education field. I currently teaching at the junior college on base here,but want to get back to elementary grades. We are currently living in England so we are trying to prepare our children for the culture shock. Thank you for anyones help or opinions about Abilene.
Now is the time to strike if you are looking for a teaching job. Abilene is in the Region 14 Education Service Center. All schools in that area except for Abilene post job openings on this web site. The URL is:
Region 14 Education Service Center
Click on the job opportunity link on the left side. There are not too many jobs listed right now, but teachers have to turn in their signed contracts or reject them in most districts by April 1. As a result, lots of jobs will be listed in the next month or so. Check it every few days.

Wylie, Jim Ned (located in the Tuscola and Buffalo Gap area), Abilene, Clyde, Baird, Hawley, Hamby, Tye, and Merkel are just some of the school districts within an easy drive of the Abilene area.

Abilene ISD has lost population the last few years, and it is tough to get a job there. However, there are jobs on their web site also. The URL is
http://www.abileneisd.org. Click on employment opportunities on the left. Again, jobs will begin to be posted in the next month or so.

If you have taught college, there are several in the city. McMurry University, Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University, Embry-Riddle University (at Dyess AFB), Cisco Junior College, Texas State Technical College, Texas Tech School of Engineering and School of Pharmacy are all in the city.

My wife has taught in the Abilene ISD for 29 years. She thinks it is a good school district. It is quite diverse. Read the web site for more information.

Jim Ned ISD and Wylie ISD are the growing school districts. Neither is as diverse as Abilene. I think they are both good school districts. I know that some people think that they are better than the Abilene district, but the Abilene district has a number of excellent schools within its boundaries.

I would get applications to the school districts right away. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM

157 posts, read 277,253 times
I know someone who lives in the area and thinks Abilene sucks, sorry to say it, but the opinion of the place is not high. The housing stock particularly looks very run down, the people in town don't seem to have much pride in their homes (peeling paint, weeds,), lots of junky areas with abandoned storefronts. But there are some nicer areas, but nothing special, and overpriced for what you get. There's the universities, Hardin Simmons and ACU but I don't know much about them. Pretty dull if you like a variety of places to go and things to do. You can apparently go up and down street after street and see homes that just look unkempt.
Avoid areas near creeks that flood with heavy rains. Don't overpay for stuff that's not worth it considering the lack of things to do in the area. Roads in poor condition in several areas (potholes galore), and most houses have dusty alleyways behind them that are unpaved, which means lots of dust coating everything. Not much competition or choices for cable t.v., so it's kind of a monopoly as you expect in smaller towns like this. The real problem is lack of asthetic values which means tourists really don't want to stay here long except just passing thru, and businesses aren't really thrilled to move in when they see the locals don't put much into the way things look. i guess the people are nice, but need to put more effort into making the neighborhoods cleaner and more pleasant. I have heard the town is growing more toward wylie, newer homes, better school system, older parts of Abilene are going through transition so do your homework before buying, get a realtor who knows what's really happening in various areas and is straight with you about it.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Abilene just sucks, me and my wife moved here 5years ago and have not found nothing but hardship and strugle and unless you make 100,000 per year goodluck and watch your money example; would you pay $5.00 for two D-size batteries for your flashlight, not me and there really is nothing to do in this sorry town except eat eat eat some more cuz there not short of fast food restaurants too many places to get a hamberger, burrito, chichen fried steak. BOO. So we are moving this year and where the pay is better, yeah the pay sucks here too no lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas