Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 35,583 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to San Antonio or Houston, but can't figure out where to go. We don't want to be right in the heart of the city, cause we wann get an acre or two of land, but we wanna be real close to the city. Possibilities so far are Conroe, The Woodlands / Helotes, or Hollywood Park. I'm from New Orleans, so I want something similar in feel. SOmething with good schools, and some up and coming resturants. I'm a chef, so I need some good places to cook. Help me out please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 04:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,866,487 times
For what you're looking for, I don't know that there will be huge differences between the two cities. But I can tell you Houston is much larger and more diverse, has more big-city amenities, and is consistently ranked very high on the national scene for its restaurants. There are also lots of New Orleans people here (and I'm not talking about Katrina evacuees). When all the oil companies started moving from N.O. to Houston several years ago, many of the families came with them...

Old 10-15-2006, 05:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,666,225 times
Well, I vote for SA but I guess that is cause I live here. I think you might have a hard time comparing those two cities, sort of like apples and oranges it seems to me. Been to all the places you are taking about both cities and the landscape is wildly different,woody and tall trees vs hill country bit harder and more rugged. Don't know about the schools in the Woodlands but I think I have heard they are good in that area. Helotes is served by Northside ISD and it very good as are the school s in that area. H. Park is served by Northeast ISd and very good also. Alot of San Antonio is old and my friends from the NO area have said SA reminds them more than any other large Texas . We are not that small suppose to be the second largest city in Texas fom what I here and there are alot of places to eat just as there are in HOU. I think I would visit both places to get the feel for both places cause they are so different.

Good Luck

Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 PM

Yeah, that's the good thing about Houston, as well, is the oil companies. My wife works for Conoco Philips as an executive admin assistant, and would like to stay with the oil companies. However, my family lives in Boerne, and Austin, and I enjoyed my last trip to San Antonio. THe only thing about SAan Antonio, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like all the homes are in gated or ungated communities, not just in a normal neighborhood. I don't like the community homes.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 AM

The newer areas are gated or un gated. The older parts are not like that at all.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 AM

it seems as if the closer you get to downtown, in SA, the more it loses the gated commnity lifestyle. Is that pretty accurate?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:41 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,688,400 times
Default Older Neighborhoods in San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerkone View Post
it seems as if the closer you get to downtown, in SA, the more it loses the gated commnity lifestyle. Is that pretty accurate?
Yes as these are normally older neighborhoods. However, you still have some strong HOA's.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,252,377 times
lerk, San Antonio is the home base to Valero and Tesoro (which is building a new 600,000 sq. ft. HQ in the 1604/10 which is very close to Hollywood Park, their current HQ is across from the Quarry Market in North Central SA) as well as a host of other oil companies. Also, have you looked in the Schertz, Universal City area?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM

210 is the Tesoro building the one being built of of Hausman and the 10 acress rd that looks to be about 5 maybe 6 stories? Have not looked real closely at it only when my boys say Look mom a crane!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:38 AM

No, I haven't really looked at Schertz or Universal City, other than the little bit I can find out on CITYDATA. I guess I really need to back down there and take some time to drive around again to check out the feel of the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas