Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

46 posts, read 64,993 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have just moved to Austin from California for school at UT. I have a car that's registered and insured in California, and my dad would like to keep it this way, because my car is under his insurance plan and he gets a multi-car discount. Since I'm under 25, insuring my car by myself would be too expensive for me, anyways.

However, I want to buy a motorcycle since on campus parking is cheap for bikes, plus the maintenance and gas costs are easily manageable. The only problem is, I don't know if I can register and insure a bike in Texas with a California driver's license. I can't get a Texas driver's license because as I understand it, I must have proof of insurance in Texas to get the license, but I cannot get insurance in Texas so that means I am only able to have my California license.

Would I have to register and insure the bike in California? Can I do that from Texas? What address would I end up having to use in that case? If I could register and insure everything in Texas, it would make it much easier.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
You can very easily insure and register a vehicle in Texas with an out of state license. Hell, you can do it with an international license.

As the vehicle (motorcycle) would be garaged in the state of Texas, you could not insure in CA (and therefore not register in CA). You want to make sure your dad has let his agent/carrier know that your vehicle is now garaged in TX to avoid a non-renewal of his policy, or any issues at the time of a claim. Many insurance carriers have policy provisions that will allow them to "separate" the vehicle garaging address for full-time students that are still technically residents of their home states.

Now, make sure you stay away from sport bikes if you're shopping (unless you're going to only carry liability insurance). Full coverage for a young male rider will damn near be enough for you to buy another bike!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM

46 posts, read 64,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You can very easily insure and register a vehicle in Texas with an out of state license. Hell, you can do it with an international license.

As the vehicle (motorcycle) would be garaged in the state of Texas, you could not insure in CA (and therefore not register in CA). You want to make sure your dad has let his agent/carrier know that your vehicle is now garaged in TX to avoid a non-renewal of his policy, or any issues at the time of a claim. Many insurance carriers have policy provisions that will allow them to "separate" the vehicle garaging address for full-time students that are still technically residents of their home states.

Now, make sure you stay away from sport bikes if you're shopping (unless you're going to only carry liability insurance). Full coverage for a young male rider will damn near be enough for you to buy another bike!
Thanks! I'll definitely ask him again and make sure that he let the insurance agent know that I'm out of state.

As for the bike, I want to get a slow beginner's bike and get liability only. Definitely don't want a supersport bike yet!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Be careful not to lie about something. Texas is serious about pursuing cases of insurance fraud. The fact you are out of state is a red flag. Be up front to the insurance agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: