Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM

112 posts, read 181,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The Kimbell and Amon Carter are world renowned art museums. The MOMA is no slouch either and all three are within walking distance of each other. You seem to focus on art museums in other cities and these in Ft. Worth are every bit as worthy, if not more so.

Thank you! I must have missed those or they were too pricey. I will double check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,739,760 times
Austin
Barton Springs
Mt. Bonnell
Umlauf Sculpture Garden
Blues on the Green concert at Zilker Park
The Continental Club
The Saxon Pub
Finally, The Oasis Restaurant, off Lake Travis (for the view)!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,282,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
Thank you! I must have missed those or they were too pricey. I will double check!
Ft worth museums are top notch!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
You may think our list is unusual, but my husband and I have unusual taste lol We don't like sports, fine dining, and high end shopping. We like the weird, historic, and off the beaten path. I'm sure we'll be adding a lot more as we arrive, but these are our must sees so far. Only added a few must visit restaurants that we want to visit. What do you think. We are doing it all in 12 days. Is it too ambitious? Should we add more? lol We are the type that go on vacation and get up at the crack of dawn to fit in as much as possible.

Austin 3 days and nights

Elysium Club
Bat Bridge on Congress St.
Salt Lick
Whole Food flagship store
Uncommon Objects store
6th St Districs
State Capital
Texas Chili Parlor Restaurant
An Ancient Art Soap Company
visiting various districts
Museum of Weird

San Antonio 3 days and night
Texan Culture Museum
The Market
Riverwalk
Town of Fredricksburg
Alamo and the Missions National Historical Park
Hemisfair park/ Tower of the Americas
Natural Bridge Caverns
Papa Jim’s Botanica
CHunky's Burgers and More

Houston 3 days and nights

National Museum of Funeral History
The Magick Cauldron
The Woodlands
Kemah Boardwalk
Beer Can House
Waugh Bat Bridge
The Galleria/ waterwall
San Jacinto Monument
Museum of Fine Arts
Pepper Tree Veggie 3823 Richmond 11-2
Rothko Chapel

Galveston day trip while in Houston

The Strand
Pleasure Pier
Moody Gardens

Dallas 2 days

British Emporium
Gilley’s
Arts District
Spiral Diner
Botanica La Santisima
Six floor Museum

Fort Worth 1 days

Nasher Sculpture Center
Water Gardens
Stockyards
FW Zoo
Botanica Santa Muerte
Your list looks do able if you have a lot of energy, but I'd tweak it a little. Do you like wine and/or lavender? If so, I'd add Becker Vineyards to your trip into the Hill Country around Fredericksburg - in fact, I'd give myself a full day in Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas - Pedernales Falls, Luckenbach, and Becker Vineyards. I'd eat some awesome German food in Fredericksburg.

As for D/FW - I'd spend two days in Fort Worth and one day in Dallas, rather than the other way around. Dallas has no character and Fort Worth is FULL of character. Definitely visit the Stockyards, and the surrounding shopping area (full of old school types of shops), take in the rodeo that evening, maybe go to Billy Bob's for some boot scootin'. Then hit the Arts District the next day. I MUCH prefer the Fort Worth art scene to the Dallas art scene - Fort Worth has some really interesting art museums and a much more quirky, fun feel than Dallas.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,628,035 times
In San Antonio i'd also check out the La Villita Historic Arts Village and maby the Witte Museum

La Villita Historic Arts Village in Downtown San Antonio

Welcome to the Witte Museum in San Antonio, Texas

McNay Art Museum

Pearl Brewery : San Antonio, Texas

Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM

112 posts, read 181,273 times
My head is spinning now!

found something else quirky for Austin.. Almost forgot about it

http://www.lucyindisguise.com/home.html

Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,979,261 times
If you are in to that boring cowboy stuff (which I find to be highly overrated) then you should stay in Fort Worth longer. If you like a real city with modern attractions then Dallas is for you. I've never liked that cowboy stuff, to me I find it to be highly annoying.

You should check out Uptown and hop on the Mckinney Avenue Trolley (which is FREE) which takes you though Uptown. You could go to the Klyde Warren Park which is over Woodall Rodgers Freeway. It's an awesome park in the middle of the city and is lined with food trucks. BTW the Dallas Museum of Art is free too.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,858,225 times
For Houston, also La Carafe, Art Car Museum, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, and maybe Aurora Picture Show.

In Galveston, I might skip Moody Gardens (very touristy, not weird/off the beaten path at all) and see if there's a Ghost Tour or similar instead.

You would need a full day in Galveston and probably closer to three in Houston to do all of that.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,963,429 times
If you're driving between SA & Houston, you could stop by the Snake Farm Texas Snake Farm, Petting Zoo, Exotic Animal Park in New Braunfels (I-35 south). If you have kids, NASA, south of Houston, is good. The adult tours aren't that good, from what I understand, unless you pay for VIP tours Space Center Houston | Gateway to NASA's Johnson Space Center
For offbeat, don't rule out the Orange Show or Beer Can House in Houston Orange Show Center for Visionary Art - Celebrating the Artist in Everyone! - The Orange Show, Houston
Fredericksburg is indeed worth a trip--I also second Becker Vineyards. And Luckenbach is right down the road.Home
(I've been to all these except the NASA tour--my adult children told me about that one.)

Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,422,446 times
Half way between Houston and San Antonio on I-10, check out the painted churches around the town of Schulenburg. 18 miles south of La Grange (my home town).

Painted Churches of Schulenburg, TX - f/11 Photography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas