Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM

587 posts, read 961,831 times

Advertisements

I think the best names are the Spanish ones, really you just can't go wrong with Spanish.

I especially like Lajitas. It looks cool, and sounds cool, too bad it is a ghost town, we are wasting a great name by not having a major city with that name.

El Paso and Del Rio sound really cool too. It would be awesome if they were part of the same metro area that would be called El Paso Del Rio. Heh.

San Antonio, San Marcos, San Angelo, anything with San sounds good. Also, names like San Angelo and Los Angeles provide a great opportunity to annoy both English and Spanish speakers by pronouncing them a hard G. Naturally you can also pronounce Las Vegas with a soft G.

Mesquite sounds good, but the wrong city has that name. Now, I know that Mesquite grows all over the world but is called by various local names, but a city called Mesquite in Texas, really should be in west Texas. In fact, Midland should be called Mesquite.

Last names for city names also generally sound good.

Houston
Austin
Dallas
Seguin

Names I don't like:

Names already used by other cities.

Odessa
Paris
London
Cleveland, Cleveland! WTH, why would you name your town after Cleveland if you are lucky enough not to live in (the) Cleveland?

Generic names that could be anyplace.

Midland, every place is between two other places, please come up with something more original.

And finally the worst named city in Texas... The Woodlands! Ok it's already a proper noun, you don't need the definite article, it's not like you're The Cleveland or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,847 times
My favorites--El Paso del Norte (originally what is now Juarez, but came to refer to El Paso).
Sugar Land, Seabrook, Eagle Pass, Terlingua, Iraan, Corsicana, Italy, Luckenbach, the fictional Lonesome Dove.

I hate the crummy RGV names--McAllen, Pharr, Mission, Weslaco (W.E. Stewart Land Company).

Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,985,475 times
Bovina is rather nice -- it's pretty near Hereford, thus both referring to cattle.

I like Goliad. It's perhaps not too euphonious, but it's got a good back story: it's an anagram of Hidalgo, the revolutionary Mexican priest who issued El Grito, the cry of the people's suffering under Spanish colonialism.

Alpine is a great name too.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Cleveland, Cleveland! WTH, why would you name your town after Cleveland if you are lucky enough not to live in (the) Cleveland?

Midland, every place is between two other places, please come up with something more original.

And finally the worst named city in Texas... The Woodlands! Ok it's already a proper noun, you don't need the definite article, it's not like you're The Cleveland or something.
Cleveland is named for the man who founded that town and not after the city in Ohio (which is a nice place).

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Bovina is rather nice -- it's pretty near Hereford, thus both referring to cattle.
Ever been to Bovina? If not, you'd better hurry.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,985,475 times
Only referring to the name, not the state of the place. I seem to recall that there is also Panhandle town called Whiteface that I have been within spitting distance of and which I assume is another cattle reference.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ever been to Bovina? If not, you'd better hurry.
I kinda like the name Kountze , it sounds fuzzy and warm

Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM

816 posts, read 1,948,481 times
I forgot to add that I like White Settlement name outside of Fort Worth for obvious reason. Just kidding!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I kinda like the name Kountze , it sounds fuzzy and warm
Lol! I've been there too. I know Kountze was named after a railroad man but the name always sounded to me like Justin Wilson trying to say he had more than one raccoon in his pot.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,379,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
I think the best names are the Spanish ones, really you just can't go wrong with Spanish.

I especially like Lajitas. It looks cool, and sounds cool, too bad it is a ghost town, we are wasting a great name by not having a major city with that name.

El Paso and Del Rio sound really cool too. It would be awesome if they were part of the same metro area that would be called El Paso Del Rio. Heh.

San Antonio, San Marcos, San Angelo, anything with San sounds good. Also, names like San Angelo and Los Angeles provide a great opportunity to annoy both English and Spanish speakers by pronouncing them a hard G. Naturally you can also pronounce Las Vegas with a soft G.

Mesquite sounds good, but the wrong city has that name. Now, I know that Mesquite grows all over the world but is called by various local names, but a city called Mesquite in Texas, really should be in west Texas. In fact, Midland should be called Mesquite.

Last names for city names also generally sound good.

Houston
Austin
Dallas
Seguin

Names I don't like:

Names already used by other cities.

Odessa
Paris
London

I feel ya on that one. There's a town called The Colony near Dallas. It sounds like a sect.

Buda
Uvalde
Hondo
Sugar Land
Plano
Lampasas
Goliad
Marble Falls
Presidio

Last edited by First24; 05-28-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas