Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,801,818 times

Advertisements

Nashville is in the same family with Atlanta and Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Nashville is in the same family with Atlanta and Birmingham
Nashville isn't part of the Piedmont/Appalachian subregion. Along with Memphis, it's a bit less piney and reminds me of Tyler and some of the other more hardwood regions of East Texas.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM

Nashville and Birmingham look alike, and Nashville has more in common topographic wise with Birmingham than it does with Memphis. I would group Memphis, New Orleans, and Little Rock together and would group Charlotta, Atlanta, and Nashville with Birmingham topographic wise.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Nashville and Birmingham look alike, and Nashville has more in common topographic wise with Birmingham than it does with Memphis. I would group Memphis, New Orleans, and Little Rock together and would group Charlotta, Atlanta, and Nashville with Birmingham topographic wise.
And you would be wrong. New Orleans bares absolutely no resemblance to any of those cities. NO is coastal plain with live oaks, palmettos, and Spanish moss. Little Rock sits in the foothills of the Interior Highlands, and, like Memphis and Nashville, is heavily forested with different variations of pine and tall, deciduous hardwood. How many of these cities have you been to?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,983,369 times
Quote:
I was in Miami for Spring Break and I didn't see any areas that resembled Houston. The culture down there is very Island-y and Latino while Houston feels more southern. Well, I guess the grid of both cities are similar. I see the Atlanta's resemblance. Never been to Dallas to make a valid comparison (I've seen it on Google maps and in pictures). From Google maps, Houston favors Atlanta more than Dallas to me. I guess it's the tall trees.
The grand majority of Miami is very southern, both Houston and Miami have lots of Latinos but after living in Houston and really getting to know Miami. I've come to the conclusion that Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta are all equally Southern, each in their own very different ways. Which I think is so cool, so much cool variation in the South as I really begin to appreciate all the different micro-cultures in the region.

As for the resemblance to Houston, I agree with R1070 that Miami is one city that reminds me of Houston but going through their downtowns and touristy areas (Uptown for Houston or the barrier islands for Miami (like Miami Beach) you wouldn't think so) but the grand majority of Miami really looks like this:

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Those are four areas in the city limits of Miami, north, south, east, and west. All over. The bulk of Miami looks like that, it cant pass off as any other region aesthetically other than the South and it's very very very much in line with areas I've seen in Houston, barring some architectural differences but even then Houston has it's swaths of Mediterranean style homes as well.

Here's Brickell Avenue, it sort of reminds me of Uptown Houston with the grass and tree medians and similar set up but obviously a bit more developed than Uptown Houston (for now) with some architectural differences.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1100+B...,28.58,,0,1.09

I for one haven't ever seen the "twin" comparison of Houston and Dallas, the cities feel and look way too different for me to even think one reminds of the other but clearly, hints and aesthetics do overlap and share much in common even then but that's to be assumed as they are both in the same state. I think Houston just might be the cross of a Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. Every region has one city that is a cross with others like the Northeast is with Philadelphia, the west is with Los Angeles, and the Midwest is with Chicago. It doesn't mean it's necessarily the regions premier city (notice the Philadelphia one for the Northeast) but the city in the region that extracts the most influences from the others.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-29-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And you would be wrong. New Orleans bares absolutely no resemblance to any of those cities. NO is coastal plain with live oaks, palmettos, and Spanish moss. Little Rock sits in the foothills of the Interior Highlands, and, like Memphis and Nashville, is heavily forested with different variations of pine and tall, deciduous hardwood. How many of these cities have you been to?
There are things called opinions. I'm sticking with mine.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
The grand majority of Miami is very southern, both Houston and Miami have lots of Latinos but after living in Houston and really getting to know Miami. I've come to the conclusion that Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta are all equally Southern, each in their own very different ways. Which I think is so cool, so much cool variation in the South as I really begin to appreciate all the different micro-cultures in the region.

As for the resemblance to Houston, I agree with R1070 that Miami is one city that reminds me of Houston but going through their downtowns and touristy areas (Uptown for Houston or the barrier islands for Miami (like Miami Beach) you wouldn't think so) but the grand majority of Miami really looks like this:

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Miami, FL - Google Maps

Those are four areas in the city limits of Miami, north, south, east, and west. All over. The bulk of Miami looks like that, it cant pass off as any other region aesthetically other than the South and it's very very very much in line with areas I've seen in Houston, barring some architectural differences but even then Houston has it's swaths of Mediterranean style homes as well.

Here's Brickell Avenue, it sort of reminds me of Uptown Houston with the grass and tree medians and similar set up but obviously a bit more developed than Uptown Houston (for now) with some architectural differences.

1100 Brickell Avenue, Miami, FL - Google Maps

I for one haven't ever seen the "twin" comparison of Houston and Dallas, the cities feel and look way too different for me to even think one reminds of the other but clearly, hints and aesthetics do overlap and share much in common even then but that's to be assumed as they are both in the same state. I think Houston just might be the cross of a Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. Every region has one city that is a cross with others like the Northeast is with Philadelphia, the west is with Los Angeles, and the Midwest is with Chicago. It doesn't mean it's necessarily the regions premier city (notice the Philadelphia one for the Northeast) but the city in the region that extracts the most influences from the others.
It was something about Miami that felt depressing to me, and I didn't get that feeling in Houston. To me, Miami felt like a different country (Cuba or somewhere in the Caribbean) while Houston felt more southern (despite the large Mexican population, it didn't feel like Mexico if you will; it felt like a southern city). I agree about the cross mixture. I guess will say that I did see a few similarities between Miami and Houston (maybe it was the grid and I would say large Hispanic population but Mexicans and Cubans seem a little distinct from each other). I've never been to Dallas but I would assume that since both cities are within the same state that they would share some similarities. However, I did find more similarities between Atlanta and Houston (large black population, southern, multiple skylines {although Houston has way more}, large freeways, pine trees, etc.)

Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
There are things called opinions. I'm sticking with mine.
Your opinion makes as much sense as me having the "opinion" that the ocean is orange. New Orleans looks nothing like either of those cities. That's a fact.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your opinion makes as much sense as me having the "opinion" that the ocean is orange. New Orleans looks nothing like either of those cities. That's a fact.
OK. I'll take that but I'm not changing my answer about grouping Nashville with Birmingham and Atlanta.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
OK. I'll take that but I'm not changing my answer about grouping Nashville with Birmingham and Atlanta.
I can't force you to, but I can still point out that it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: