Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM

112 posts, read 181,140 times

Advertisements

Finally have booked 10 nights in Texas for the first two weeks of July, but not sure what we are going to see in all of the big cities. We will be visiting San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and Austin. I'm trying to put together a bucket list of sorts of things everyone should do when visiting Texas.

Can you help me out?

I'm not interested in any sports so that won't be on my list.

I'm thinking of things like:

Visiting the Alamo
Eating some great BBq
etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM

11,866 posts, read 26,910,887 times
You do realize that July will most likely be extremely hot, right? I can think of one year where it wasn't in the 100s, and that was only because there was a hurricane in the Gulf...

Anyway, here are some things to do on my list:
Dance the two-step at Gruene Hall and Billy Bob's Texas
Climb Enchanted Rock
Spend an evening on the San Antonio Riverwalk
Float down the Guadalupe River
Watch a reenactment of the Texas Revolution at Goliad

And some places to eat:
Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls
Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood
Reata in Fort Worth and Alpine
Perini Ranch in Buffalo Gap
Lowake Steak House

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM

112 posts, read 181,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You do realize that July will most likely be extremely hot, right? I can think of one year where it wasn't in the 100s, and that was only because there was a hurricane in the Gulf...

Climb Enchanted Rock

And some places to eat:
Lowake Steak House

Yes, I know it will be very hot. Unfortunately, the summer time is the only time I have available to visit. I'll just lather up my spf 70 and remain indoors during noon hours

Thank you for those ideas so far. I'm writing them down and checking out those eateries online.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Climb Enchanted Rock

And some places to eat:
Lowake Steak House
If you make the trek to Enchanted Rock, a drive along the Willow City Loop is a must. It starts and ends just of Highway 16, about 12 miles north of Fredericksburg. Beautiful views, and this time of year, a decent amount of wildflowers. It's a great view of the Hill Country.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM

5,266 posts, read 6,416,420 times
RiverWalk + the Alamo in San Antonio.

Seconding Gruene Hall near Austin.

Ft Worth Stockyards (40 miles west of Dallas). It's unique with horses and cattle, and a dance hall, and some bbq.
Dallas 6th Floor Museum (where Kennedy was shot - Dallas is a great city to live in, but not much of a tourist location imo) if you care about that. The new Perot Museum is pretty cool.

Check out Galveston (45 mins from Houston) to see the Texas Gulf and maybe feel the bathtub warm water. It's got some interesting old houses as well. The Gulf itself is not that great, but I want you to know what you are in for if you are considering moving here. Maybe see NASA Mission Control on the way. Houston is a great city to live in, but not much of a tourist destination in my opinion.

Austin has a giant university, with all that entails, plus the Texas Capitol.

I'd recommend flying into Dallas DFW (or Love if you are going Southwest) --> Houston --> Austin --> San Antonio to minimize the driving. Texas is a big state.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,356,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
RiverWalk + the Alamo in San Antonio.

Seconding Gruene Hall near Austin.

Ft Worth Stockyards (40 miles west of Dallas). It's unique with horses and cattle, and a dance hall, and some bbq.
Dallas 6th Floor Museum (where Kennedy was shot - Dallas is a great city to live in, but not much of a tourist location imo) if you care about that. The new Perot Museum is pretty cool.

Check out Galveston (45 mins from Houston) to see the Texas Gulf and maybe feel the bathtub warm water. It's got some interesting old houses as well. The Gulf itself is not that great, but I want you to know what you are in for if you are considering moving here. Maybe see NASA Mission Control on the way. Houston is a great city to live in, but not much of a tourist destination in my opinion.

Austin has a giant university, with all that entails, plus the Texas Capitol.

I'd recommend flying into Dallas DFW (or Love if you are going Southwest) --> Houston --> Austin --> San Antonio to minimize the driving. Texas is a big state.
Gruene Hall is in New Braunsfels I though?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
I would not put the Alamo on my bucket list. It is a big let down.

I cant remember which ones exactly but Mission San Jose and Concepcion are more impressive

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Gruene Hall is in New Braunsfels I though?
Gruene is in Gruene, Tx. Near new braunfils

Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,277,353 times
Look up the "Texas Hill Country" which is a region in Central Texas, and i think Gruene is considered in that region. Fredericksburg is fantastic. Too much to list for Fredericksburg. Try to get to Luchenbach for a truly Texas experience. Wimberley is another Hill Country town worth a visit.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM

5,266 posts, read 6,416,420 times
Quote:
Gruene is in Gruene, Tx. Near new braunfils
The requestor is from New Jersey. They probably don't know small Texas towns any more than we would know every single small town in NJ. They are planning their itinerary based on visting the major cities, so I was referring to the jumping-off city they could get there from.

Greune is 45 mins from Austin (or San Antonio since they are relatively close together).

Schlitterbahn is in New Braunfels. It's a big water park connected to a river. Pretty cool for a hot day in July if you are down with some walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas