Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,926,611 times

Advertisements

To The People of Texas and
All Americans In The World

Fellow citizens & compatriots,

I am beseiged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, & every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country --

VICTORY OR DEATH

William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. Comdt.

Never Forget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM

707 posts, read 1,850,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

I am beseiged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, & every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country --

VICTORY OR DEATH

William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. Comdt.

Never Forget

Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,659,241 times
Quote:

VICTORY OR DEATH

William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. Comdt.

Never Forget
We true Texans will never forget! Thanks so much -- TXRyan -- for posting Travis' appeal to his fellow "Texicans" to come to the aid of those brave men who chose to fight and die, rather than surrender.

Yes, yes, I know the inconoclatic cynics (and Texas-bashers) will call it silly, romantic and pick apart the motives of those at the Alamo. Or the Texas Revolution itself for that matter. This type usually do; they are very fearless and righteous when it comes to attacking those who are not around to defend themselves...

God Bless Texas!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,245,527 times
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

God Bless Texas!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,711,585 times
Yeah never forget lets mot forget how the americans moved into texas and refused to learn spanish(does this sound famliar) or hding up a gun to santa annas head and saying give us texas or ubdie and dont get me started on where dirty sanchezs came from!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM

17,927 posts, read 13,874,219 times
Last week I was in San Antonio and went by the Alamo early in the morning before all the traffic. In the quiet I noticed that it was on February 23rd that Travis and his group arrived at the Alamo and it was that very day that I was there. I looked to the southwest where the gate would have been at that time and imagined what it might have been like on that day some 177 years ago.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,659,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_of_Reason View Post
Yeah never forget lets mot forget how the americans moved into texas and refused to learn spanish(does this sound famliar) or hding up a gun to santa annas head and saying give us texas or ubdie and dont get me started on where dirty sanchezs came from!
Actually, it might help your case (whatever it is) if you learned to write coherent English!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM

795 posts, read 1,590,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, it might help your case (whatever it is) if you learned to write coherent English!
He should also learn how to spell. lol

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM

795 posts, read 1,590,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

God Bless Texas!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,711,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Its called a cellphone, u know the thing u can send and receive messages on? I know that hillbillies like u probably still communicate by sending letters in the mail,but its the year 2013 and u should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas