Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,149 times

Advertisements

I' am currently an environmental science major and I' am looking to move to East Texas to finish my schooling and maybe even settle down. I' am only 27 but don't want to live in the city anymore and I' am just looking for a much more peaceful place to finish school in and live. The city is just more of a distraction and extra stress that I don't need right now.

Also, with my major being environmental science and with my desired career to be in either forestry or parks & recreation, East Texas seems to be a perfect environment for me to be in for that area of study / career path.

So between Tyler or Lufkin, which city would probably fit the bill best for me to live in while in East Texas? I have been through each city a few times but haven't spent any real time in either city. I do know that based off of the fact that both cities are MUCH smaller in population and obviously more rural than where I live now in DFW, that I would be much happier living in either than where I' am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Just to add, I know that Tyler is much bigger than Lufkin, but compared to a city like Plano or McKinney, I think that Tyler will still be a breath of fresh air and a MUCH more peaceful, laid-back atmosphere.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Tyler would be the easiest adjustment.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Tyler would be the easiest adjustment.
Yeah, that is what my gut has been telling me. Have you lived there at one time or another? I was kind of curious as to what living in Tyler was like and some of the things to do there in and around the city. I know that Lufkin has a large nature preserve nearby, but outside of Tyler State Park, I am not sure what else is in or around Tyler.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 PM

I do know that a poster on here, Metro Matt, lives in Tyler. So if you see this Metro Matt, can you tell me what living in Tyler is like? Would appreciate it very much. Anyone else who has lived in either Tyler or Lufkin would appreciate your input as well. This move is something that I will be doing in a few months.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM

14 posts, read 41,765 times
i've lived in lufkin for about 18 months, and to be honest, i hate it. but i'm from houston and i'm "pining" [ha] for a big city, so i'm a little biased.

for a small[ish] town, lufkin's not really bad. not a whole lot to do, although there is a pretty big pineywoods/logging culture, which seems like a good fit for you. lots of restaurants, but not many local/original ones [a lot of chains like chili's, olive garden etc]. only real shopping options are the mall, the stuff across the loop from the mall, and of course walmart. downtown is charming, very small-town america. there's a FANTASTIC coffee shop downtown called standpipe that my husband and i go to several times a week, they also do live music on the weekends. no real nightlife to speak of, and the music scene here is poorly organized. the people are very nice for the most part [course, that could be because my in-laws know EVERYONE here]. expect a lot of "typical east texas folk", big loud trucks, jeans as formal wear, etc. if you're going to rent an apartment, be ready for a fight to get the place you want and be ready to slap down a deposit fast. the place we wound up living [great oaks], my husband's cousin is the property manager and we STILL ended up in a different unit than what we wanted.

i'm in the same boat as you as far as tyler, my aunt lives there and got married there but i've never really done more than pass through or go up there for the day. it's definitely bigger/more developed and would be less of a culture shock.

one thing to consider: you said you wanted to finish your schooling, i'm not sure if you're talking associate's, bachelor's or master's, but there is no 4-year university in lufkin. angelina college does mostly certifications and AAs. in tyler you've at least got UT-tyler [i'm not sure what else is there, college-wise].

have you considered nacogdoches? it's 20 miles north of lufkin on 59. i went to SFA for a while and lived there for about 3 years before we moved to lufkin. it's definitely a college town, but still has the same small-town feel.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0e11e View Post
i've lived in lufkin for about 18 months, and to be honest, i hate it. but i'm from houston and i'm "pining" [ha] for a big city, so i'm a little biased.

for a small[ish] town, lufkin's not really bad. not a whole lot to do, although there is a pretty big pineywoods/logging culture, which seems like a good fit for you. lots of restaurants, but not many local/original ones [a lot of chains like chili's, olive garden etc]. only real shopping options are the mall, the stuff across the loop from the mall, and of course walmart. downtown is charming, very small-town america. there's a FANTASTIC coffee shop downtown called standpipe that my husband and i go to several times a week, they also do live music on the weekends. no real nightlife to speak of, and the music scene here is poorly organized. the people are very nice for the most part [course, that could be because my in-laws know EVERYONE here]. expect a lot of "typical east texas folk", big loud trucks, jeans as formal wear, etc. if you're going to rent an apartment, be ready for a fight to get the place you want and be ready to slap down a deposit fast. the place we wound up living [great oaks], my husband's cousin is the property manager and we STILL ended up in a different unit than what we wanted.

i'm in the same boat as you as far as tyler, my aunt lives there and got married there but i've never really done more than pass through or go up there for the day. it's definitely bigger/more developed and would be less of a culture shock.

one thing to consider: you said you wanted to finish your schooling, i'm not sure if you're talking associate's, bachelor's or master's, but there is no 4-year university in lufkin. angelina college does mostly certifications and AAs. in tyler you've at least got UT-tyler [i'm not sure what else is there, college-wise].

have you considered nacogdoches? it's 20 miles north of lufkin on 59. i went to SFA for a while and lived there for about 3 years before we moved to lufkin. it's definitely a college town, but still has the same small-town feel.
Well, if I were to live in Lufkin, I would be finishing the last year of my associates degree in Environmental Science at Angelina College and then tranfering either to Texas A&M or Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches to complete my bachaelors; as both are great colleges for my major.

Last edited by Newbe10; 05-25-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM

14 posts, read 41,765 times
yeah, SFA has a really great environmental science/forestry program.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Yeah, that is what my gut has been telling me. Have you lived there at one time or another? I was kind of curious as to what living in Tyler was like and some of the things to do there in and around the city. I know that Lufkin has a large nature preserve nearby, but outside of Tyler State Park, I am not sure what else is in or around Tyler.
Other than Tyler State Park, there arent really a whole lot of designated nature preserves. There is Lake Palestine, Bellwood Lake and Lake Tyler & Lake Tyler East that could provide some natural study around the Tyler area. There is also a zipline/Loves Lookout, just south of Tyler (about 20 miles) toward Jacksonville. I dont know if thats your thing but Im just throwing it out there.

Ultimately, I think Lufkin's proximity to Nacogdoches/SFA, its greater amount of foliage/natural habitats, along with your need to focus on your field of study probably makes it more ideal than Tyler for you.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Other than Tyler State Park, there arent really a whole lot of designated nature preserves. There is Lake Palestine, Bellwood Lake and Lake Tyler & Lake Tyler East that could provide some natural study around the Tyler area. There is also a zipline/Loves Lookout, just south of Tyler (about 20 miles) toward Jacksonville. I dont know if thats your thing but Im just throwing it out there.

Ultimately, I think Lufkin's proximity to Nacogdoches/SFA, its greater amount of foliage/natural habitats, along with your need to focus on your field of study probably makes it more ideal than Tyler for you.
Thank for the info!

The thing that I will like living in E. Texas the most (outside of the natural areas as well) is the lack of congestion and toll roads.

I have been through Tyler during the day when it was pretty busy on the roads, but the traffic volume was NOTHING compared to where I live at now and I imagine that the roads and streets in Tyler don't stay what you would call "busy" for E. Texas very long.

I do know that they are building a new toll road in Tyler (loop 49), but even if I decide to live in Tyler over Lufkin or Nacogdoches, I won't ever use it or need to use it. When it becomes a free route someday, then maybe. However, if I need to get to I-20, there are plenty of other roads I can use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: