Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 PM

141 posts, read 380,853 times

Advertisements

Haha. Every city grows with new development, some type of industry, and education. The question asks "which city do you think would become the next major city?" I gave my opinion and said that although I like Waco I just think it being so close to other big Metros that it will never become
major and will always be overshadowed. I still don't get how that is ignorant lmao. But anyways, Amarillo, Lubbock, and Odessa- Midland are out in the middle of nowhere so they are already major in that region in some regards. I'm not even sure how to classify "Major". My guess is any city that is vital to a region by shopping, jobs, healthcare, importance and distribution to the surrounding areas and country. I will continue to say Lubbock not only because I live here and size but because of the people I have talked to and how many people depend on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM

141 posts, read 380,853 times
Nice info Texasdiver!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
While that is great & all, it is by no means unique to Waco.

We have a newish Target distribution center & Wal-Mart distribution center here in East Texas.

Wacos selling points are its cheap COL, semi college town vibe, & Brazos River.

There is little in the way of natural beauty until you get down around the Hill Country some 60 miles south of town.

Their regional airport is in need of a serious overhaul.
In your opinion.....

For one, many people see natural beauty as a selling point for Waco. Not everyone is impressed by trees. Another thing, I don't know how much of Baylor being here is a selling point considering Waco and Baylor in most sense are disconnected.

I don't know why you feel the need to cut Waco short, but pass off Tyler as if it's miles ahead and better.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Both Waco and Tyler have their strengths. The former has the major university and centralized location while the latter has more in the way of natural beauty (not an incredible amount, though). I wouldn't say either is too far ahead of the other.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,326,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Both Waco and Tyler have their strengths. The former has the major university and centralized location while the latter has more in the way of natural beauty (not an incredible amount, though). I wouldn't say either is too far ahead of the other.
I wouldn't consider Baylor a major university to be honest. Its certainly bigger than anything in Tyler though. Waco has a nice location and with it being on the Brazos, it can be kinda picturesque. But it doesn't have the economy to become a major city. Also, if Baylor wasn't a private Baptist school I could see Waco developing into a hip college town.

On the surface, Corpus should be primed for explosive growth but for some reason those folks down there just don't have the vision. CC has been over 200k in population back when DFW's suburbs were small towns and it hasn't really grown much.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Fort Worth and Corpus are already major according to CD. Lubbock is central to it's area, I can't even imagine the place if it had a major highway, wowza. Midland has the jobs, it could be set to go. Tyler perhaps for the eastern part of the state. McAllen/S Padre should have already exploded, but they never have. Good topic OP, we need a couple of more major cities imo.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I wouldn't consider Baylor a major university to be honest. Its certainly bigger than anything in Tyler though. Waco has a nice location and with it being on the Brazos, it can be kinda picturesque. But it doesn't have the economy to become a major city. Also, if Baylor wasn't a private Baptist school I could see Waco developing into a hip college town.

On the surface, Corpus should be primed for explosive growth but for some reason those folks down there just don't have the vision. CC has been over 200k in population back when DFW's suburbs were small towns and it hasn't really grown much.
Baylor isn't exactly top tier, but somewhat of a big deal for Texas, and it does have nationwide notoriety.

Corpus has probably peaked. If it hasn't boomed by now, then I don't see it happening.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Fort Worth and Corpus are already major according to CD. Lubbock is central to it's area, I can't even imagine the place if it had a major highway, wowza. Midland has the jobs, it could be set to go. Tyler perhaps for the eastern part of the state. McAllen/S Padre should have already exploded, but they never have. Good topic OP, we need a couple of more major cities imo.
Fort Worth (again) has BEEN a major city. Corpus is more mid-sized. Not quite there yet...

Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The McAllen area has been growing fast for a while.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,609 times
I would say

Killeen/Waco/Temple due to its military presence and educational draws.

Then possibly Tyler/Longview, due to its proximity to both Dallas and Shreveport. People seem to really like having quick easy access to gambling, and Shreveport's small but growing movie industry may be a draw to some in the future.

What's surprising to me, is how Beaumont fizzled out as a boomtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas