Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM

133 posts, read 230,136 times

Advertisements

I am being considered for a job in Friona. TX. I know its a town of 4,000 people. Can anyone give me any information about the town. Big cities Frio is close to, malls, restaurants, grocery shopping places, entrainment, gyms, the average cost for an apartment, recreational activities, good high school football programs to check out, etc?

Last edited by andyj13; 02-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM

Does anyone have anything about Friona?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,118,104 times
I'm wondering why you ask about big towns nearby Friona, when you could look at a map? Also, Frio, TX (by San Antonio) is not the same as Friona, TX (by Amarillo and Clovis, NM). Which do you have in mind? Your other questions make me wonder if you have ever been to a small Texas town, or anywhere in Texas?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,431,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
Does anyone have anything about Friona?

I note that the title of your thread is Frio Texas but you speak of Friona? Frio, Texas is a LOT different than Friona, Texas which is in Parmer County on the Texas High Plains adjacent to New Mexico.

I have a rental house at Muleshoe, TX which is about 30 miles south of Friona. In fact, I've had past renters who worked at Friona. I don't know much about Friona even although my daughter was born there nearly 40 years ago and I used to occasionally haul loads of beef from what is now Excel Beef to the Santa Fe Piggyback yard at Clovis, New Mexico. The old hospital that my daughter was born in no longer exists.

If I can give any worthy advice about Friona, it would be to watch the property taxes if you want to buy a house there. Like Muleshoe, housing prices are bound to be substantially lower than most areas of Texas but, like Bailey County at Muleshoe, Parmer County is a less populated Texas county and can have property taxes that can be quite high. Beyond the normal property taxes, you should also check to see if Parmer County has a county property tax on private vehicles less than 10 years old if you have newer vehicles. I think Parmer County used to have that tax and a newer vehicle can cost you hundreds of dollars over and beyond the regular annual State registration fees per year.

Amarillo and Lubbock are your closet cities on the High Plains. Clovis, NM is also a town of substantial size and offers such things as a Lowes Building Supplies, an Autozone, an Advance Auto, a Walmart Super Center and others. Nearby Canyon, Texas and Palo Duro Canyon are worth a visit as is New Mexico which offers much to see in the way of natural beauty, or hunting/hiking if you are so inclined.

At any rate, I wish you a big welcome to Texas if you decide to come.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,431,231 times
BTW, if it tells you anything, I rent an older in-city 1100 ft2 house at Muleshoe on a 1/4 city block with a garage and storage barns for less than $500/month. I think Muleshoe, at around 4200 people, should be comparable to Friona rentals.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
I'm wondering why you ask about big towns nearby Friona, when you could look at a map? Also, Frio, TX (by San Antonio) is not the same as Friona, TX (by Amarillo and Clovis, NM). Which do you have in mind? Your other questions make me wonder if you have ever been to a small Texas town, or anywhere in Texas?

I was born and raised in Ohio and currently reside 20 miles north of Detroit. I have never been Texas and sometimes maps can be deseving. I tried to edit the title but for some reason I can't.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,465,032 times
Welcome as well, I lived in Pittsburgh Pa a number of years back so know the country around Ohio somewhat. The high plains of texas are going to be very different, much less humuidity, higher daily temperature variations and wide wide open even compared to Michigan. Fiona is in what is broadly called West Texas or the high plains as mentioned. West Texas economy is booming in oil and gas areas like Midland etc. So housing can be in short supply there. Hereford is a larger town than Fiona and only 20-25 miles away. 14k population so not big but larger than Fiona. Welcome to Tx if you decide to come. I am in DFW area long long ways from there and dont know that town or specific area. But others here might so fire away

Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,198,969 times
The fact that FRIONA (in the Texas panhandle) is surrounded by equally small towns with names like Bovina, Hereford, and Muleshoe should give a clue as to what drives the local economies. Ranching was once "king" in that area, but in the latter part of the last century (20th) huge farming cartels took over, flattening the sandhills and installing huge irrigation sprinkler systems that rely on a dwindling underground aquifer. Friona is NOT in an area that has been part of the oil and gas patch. These towns are all known for their conservative "All American" (and Texan) centered lifestyles where family, church and football rule (not necessarily in that order).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas