Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urban, rural, or suburban?
Urban 33 39.76%
Rural 27 32.53%
Suburban 23 27.71%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM

42 posts, read 164,834 times

Advertisements

Do you like urban, rural, or suburban areas best? Why?

Texas has a variety of each of these. I would like to see everyone's opinion.

In my opinion, rural areas are the best. I love the seclusion from the hustle and bustle of city life. Although I have lived in urban and suburban areas my entire life, my dream is to one day move to a small rural area. The only disadvantage to rural areas is lack of amenities and lack of employment opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
I voted rural too. Like I've said many times on this board, I grew up in a place where you could just leave your doors unlocked and your keys in your car. Why? Because you just didn't have to worry about it.

That just ain't the way it is here in DFW.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
I grew up and currently live in suburbia. Once our kids are grown and out of the excellent schools they're in, I'd love to live in a condo or townhouse in urban Uptown Dallas. We shop and eat in the area and it's something I know I'd like. I don't think I'd like living out in a rural area - as bucolic as it all sounds, I think I'd go nuts living in the middle of no-where.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 155,929 times
I think it is true that you don't miss what you have until you loose it. I grew up rural and couldn't wait to go urban. Then spent way too long in suburbia (any time is too long to me), and been back to central city urban for 15+ years. I will drop down and kiss the ground when I can live in a small town/rural area again. But when that time comes, I'll know better how to appreciate it this time.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
I think a smaller suburb is best. I've lived in suburbs and rural and I don't like rural. It's nice because you can kindof take it easy and not worry about crazy traffic and crime and people breaking into your car or house but it's so far away from everything and really pretty boring. I also think a huge big urban city can be bad too because you go from no crime or no traffic to heavy crime and heavy traffic... A small suburb maybe 30,000-40,000 population would be best IMO. I don't know, it just seems like everywhere you look it seems like things are going downhill... More traffic, more pollution, more crime, etc. Almost everywhere. Even here in Southern Indiana my high school that I just graduated from a little over a year ago is now supposively being over taken by thugs and trouble makers and a lot of the teachers are actually requesting to be sent somewhere else. I don't know if it's really THAT bad or what I haven't been back since but there were obviously some trouble makers around when I went there but it wasn't terrible. It makes you wonder how things are going to be in 20 years.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Urban. I don't care for suburban areas at all much unless it's one of those older suburbs.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:42 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
No doubt about it, RURAL RULES!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM

42 posts, read 164,834 times
So far, it's exactly tied. All three -- urban, rural, and suburban -- have 7 votes.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texan View Post
Do you like urban, rural, or suburban areas best? Why?

Texas has a variety of each of these. I would like to see everyone's opinion.

In my opinion, rural areas are the best. I love the seclusion from the hustle and bustle of city life. Although I have lived in urban and suburban areas my entire life, my dream is to one day move to a small rural area. The only disadvantage to rural areas is lack of amenities and lack of employment opportunities.

Without question, Texan, rural. I have travelled many of the "backroads" and FM roads (Farm to Market Roads, defined for non-Texans! LOL) and all else, and some of those little communities far off the beaten path are so full of a Texas/Southern ambiance that it almost makes one want to just thank God they live here. If that makes sense. *smiles*

Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Glad to see not everyone picked rural...good...more land for me (right Kewgee??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas