Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
School rankings in general are overrated. Trust me I go to one of these so call Tier 1 institutions.
I agree. No disrespect to any of these schools because they're all great schools. However, when you get down to the core of it all; it's all based on reputation and student demographics. I took classes at Baylor and now attending Texas Southern University. The academics and style of teaching aren't different or less inferior than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM

194 posts, read 524,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I agree. No disrespect to any of these schools because they're all great schools. However, when you get down to the core of it all; it's all based on reputation and student demographics. I took classes at Baylor and now attending Texas Southern University. The academics and style of teaching aren't different or less inferior than the other.
Well, it IS Baylor...

Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM

143 posts, read 265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Come on guys give Tech some credit its a pretty good school and the campus has really nice architecture..it offers way more academic programs, it has a real athletic department (not as good as most on the list) and it not to expensive when you talk about TCU, Trinity or even most school that I ranked above it. Ill admit I was scratching my head when I was thinking about Trinity U (maybe it should be higher), like I said its a great school but not in the same category with others when you factor in OVERALL.

Texas Tech Ranks Among Top Schools for Skilled and Educated Graduates :: Texas Tech Today
Trinity might be D3, but they have a top notch D3 athletic program across the board. Academically, they've been ranked #1 in the West region of U.S. News rankings of regional universities for over 20 years in a row. They're also ranked as a Best Value college when all is factored in. Trinity definitely needs to be considered among the best in Texas.

Clearly, Rice and UT-Austin are the best, but after that it gets a little hazier. You can't judge a university based on how much it's athletics are on TV though.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
School rankings in general are overrated. Trust me I go to one of these so call Tier 1 institutions.
Let me guess. A&M? I can't imagine you'd be saying that if you went to the other Tier 1s in Texas.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguysa View Post
Trinity might be D3, but they have a top notch D3 athletic program across the board. Academically, they've been ranked #1 in the West region of U.S. News rankings of regional universities for over 20 years in a row. They're also ranked as a Best Value college when all is factored in. Trinity definitely needs to be considered among the best in Texas.

Clearly, Rice and UT-Austin are the best, but after that it gets a little hazier. You can't judge a university based on how much it's athletics are on TV though.
I think your missing my point. But I will agree I should have ranked Trinity a little higher.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 12-14-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Let me guess. A&M? I can't imagine you'd be saying that if you went to the other Tier 1s in Texas.
I think A&M was the last to get to Tier one. They have only been Tier one for ten years compared to UT which has been Tier one for about 80 years.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 27,515 times
NORTH TEXAS should go along with Houston an Tech!!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
SMU undergrad is ranked 3rd in Texas by USN&WR, 58TH in the Nation. Texas A&M is ranked 65th. I work for a Fortune 500 company in DFW and nobody in HR would have even heard of Trinity University. Good lord it has 2400 students, the size of a small 5A High school.

SMU had aspirations to become a Vanderbilt or an Emory when I graduated but obviously that never happened. The culture and administration at SMU is too dominated by right wing, high society types to make it appealing to serious academics.

Last edited by padcrasher; 10-31-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
Good informtion. My son is contemplating his acceptance decision between Trinity and TAMU. He's a History Major with aspirations to go to Law School. I think he's leaning towards Trinity since he's also received some school based scholarships and grants. Its been a difficult decision for him.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,276 times
Just want to point out when using the USN&WR rankings every school that is ranked by a number nationally or regionally is a Tier 1. They changed the entire system 3 years ago. Unranked schools are Tier 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas