Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 AM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

By the way, most livable without a car? It can actually be done in all the three cities that were pointed out, but you have to live veeerrrrrry close to work and amenities. Everything would practically have to be within a few blocks. You'd have to zero in on one particular area and stay within it. That's about the only way to live without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
By the way, most livable without a car? It can actually be done in all the three cities that were pointed out, but you have to live veeerrrrrry close to work and amenities. Everything would practically have to be within a few blocks. You'd have to zero in on one particular area and stay within it. That's about the only way to live without a car.
That's not entirely true.

Dallas does have DART which can get you around - you have to do a little legwork but that never hurt anyone.

Houston's one light rail line does a lot to move you in between lots of stuff to do. Museums, theaters (as in fine arts, not Cinemark) sporting events (all major league venues plus Rice University are accessible via rail) and more. Lots of bars/clubs opening in Midtown as well. Jobs? There's downtown and the Texas Medical Center. The light rail unfortunately doesn't run through many residential areas, but places like Montrose, Rice Village, the former Fourth Ward etc. can link you to the rail via bus. The next LRT line, called the University Line, will enfranchise more residential areas including Eastwood and the Upper Third Ward.

The airports are not linked by rail but there is an airport shuttle service, so you can still leave town without a car

Old 09-02-2007, 03:50 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's not entirely true.

Dallas does have DART which can get you around - you have to do a little legwork but that never hurt anyone.

Houston's one light rail line does a lot to move you in between lots of stuff to do. Museums, theaters (as in fine arts, not Cinemark) sporting events (all major league venues plus Rice University are accessible via rail) and more. Lots of bars/clubs opening in Midtown as well. Jobs? There's downtown and the Texas Medical Center. The light rail unfortunately doesn't run through many residential areas, but places like Montrose, Rice Village, the former Fourth Ward etc. can link you to the rail via bus. The next LRT line, called the University Line, will enfranchise more residential areas including Eastwood and the Upper Third Ward.

The airports are not linked by rail but there is an airport shuttle service, so you can still leave town without a car
Very good post. Rail and buses are definitely options. I don't know why I was thinking walking in my last post.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM

34 posts, read 155,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesgdesign View Post
You can actually reasonably live in Austin without a car, if you live in the central part of the city...... There are a few neighborhoods downtown and central that have a variety of services very close by, and would work well. In addition, in those parts of the cities, drivers are not as hostile as they can be in other Texas cities.
Hmmmm, I live in one of those close central neighborhoods in Austin and indeed only have ONE car for the household. But as far as less hostile, I'd have to say that doesn't play out here. My neighbor will suffer the residuals of injuries she received 3+ yr. ago attempting to cross the street at the end of our block. She was crossing at a crosswalk with a light and was hit by a driver turning left. I've personally had way too many close calls with drivers while walking when I was doing everything right. The problem for all walkers or bike riders here is just the sheer magnitude of the traffic that gets frustrated waiting through several light changes just to move a few blocks to the next one. They simply do not see walkers, at least I'm hoping that is their excuse.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM

106 posts, read 471,830 times
I'd like to add a few things. Those central neighborhoods in Austin aren't cheap you'll have to have a pretty nice income to live there. Also not having a car will extremely limit where you'll be able to work. Living here without a car can be done but I wouldn't suggest it.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
If you live close to a DART station or in central or downtown Dallas you could probably get by with out a car. I know mine stays in the driveway almost all weekend every weekend. I live in Lakewood where I can walk to all sorts of places. We also have very good bus service and there is a hike and bike trail opening next year to downtown. Also the new DART line east out of downtown will have three stations that might be a bit of a walk but not impossible. You can also get a taxi to just about all of the hot spots in central Dallas for $8-$10.

Example - I only have to buy gas once or twice per month and I have a 1995 truck I bought new which only has 76,000 miles on it...my only other car is my father's 1966 Mustang which I hardly ever drive so the pickup has been my main vehicle.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 PM

90 posts, read 360,753 times
Watch this video on improvements of the Dallas rail. Dallas also has buses. You can live in Dallas without a car and its the best of the 3, but it is still hard, here is the link to the video...

DART.org - Green Line Video - June 2007

also in responce to guerilla about having to drive to the stations outside the core.... at least we HAVE stations outside the core haha

Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
That is all changing in Houston haha. I went to Northpark on Labor Day, and my GF and two friends rode the DART train from the Westmoreland Station to Park Lane because we thought it would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: