Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,038,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
540 is way too high, not even in the ball park.

P.S. I grew up in Wyoming which was not even a state until after the civil war, so I can't correctly be called a Yankee.

How many Counties does Texas have? It is far more then in any other state.
Yeah it is about half that number somewhere around 255 or 254
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM

In case I am right I am gonna ask a question and hopefully it has not been asked before.

What makes Texas's entry in the union different from the entry of any other state into the union?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,195,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah it is about half that number somewhere around 255 or 254
254 was the number that I found.

List of counties in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki - Texas has 254 counties, which is more than any state by 95. (Georgia).

That is correct.

The question HtownLove asked was: What makes Texas's entry in the union different from the entry of any other state into the union?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,650,323 times
Quote:
254 was the number that I found.

List of counties in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki - Texas has 254 counties, which is more than any state by 95. (Georgia).

That is correct.

The question HtownLove asked was: What makes Texas's entry in the union different from the entry of any other state into the union?
Ok...I am a little embarassed here again. I went and took a nap after answering and thought, oh hell, 540 is WAY too high. So I hurried in to redeem myself. Yep, the correct figure is definitely not nearly so high. 250 or so (not 550) is what I meant to type originally (yeah, right, huh? LOL).

Hmmmmm. So far as HTLoves question goes? Is it that Texas is the only state that entered as an independent Republic extant, and by an annexation agreement?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:

P.S. I grew up in Wyoming which was not even a state until after the civil war, so I can't correctly be called a Yankee. Also parts of Wyoming were once in the Republic of Texas.
Don't take it personal, CapnR, my fiance is from Colorado and I consider her a yankee too! but y'all are not YANKEE yankees! LOL

Just funnin' with ya, buddy!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok...I am a little embarassed here again. I went and took a nap after answering and thought, oh hell, 540 is WAY too high. So I hurried in to redeem myself. Yep, the correct figure is definitely not nearly so high. 250 or so (not 550) is what I meant to type originally (yeah, right, huh? LOL).

Hmmmmm. So far as HTLoves question goes? Is it that Texas is the only state that entered as an independent Republic extant, and by an annexation agreement?
you are on the right track but not quite. Yes Texas being an independent republic has a lot to do with it but... if I give you more I will give you the answer.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
you are on the right track but not quite. Yes Texas being an independent republic has a lot to do with it but... if I give you more I will give you the answer.
LOL Well, I DID mention too that it was the result of an annexation agreement...wherin both nations (Republic of Texas and the United States) agreed to the terms. Is that the other part of it? Good question, though!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
LOL Well, I DID mention too that it was the result of an annexation agreement...wherin both nations (Republic of Texas and the United States) agreed to the terms. Is that the other part of it? Good question, though!
lol, no, that's the part that throws it off That first part. Too nations agreeing to do something is not annexation. You have to have dominion over some place before you can annex it. Two nations have equal power over their lands. Texas was not US Territory that was bought like The Louisiana Purchase territories, nor was it given over to the US like the Northwest Territory, and they didn't win it in any war nor did they conquer natives to get it.

Texas is the one and only State to enter the Union via .............

Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
lol, no, that's the part that throws it off That first part. Too nations agreeing to do something is not annexation. You have to have dominion over some place before you can annex it. Two nations have equal power over their lands. Texas was not US Territory that was bought like The Louisiana Purchase territories, nor was it given over to the US like the Northwest Territory, and they didn't win it in any war nor did they conquer natives to get it.

Texas is the one and only State to enter the Union via .............

Whoa there. While I appreciate your point, the agreement between the Republic of Texas and the United States (as existed at the time) WAS one of the mutally agreed term of annexation.

Bottom line is that while you are technically correct in the terminology, the Republic of Texas and the United States agreed upon it being annexation.

ANNEXATION | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

But if you disagree, then I am anxious to hear what the real answer is! LOL

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Whoa there. While I appreciate your point, the agreement between the Republic of Texas and the United States (as existed at the time) WAS one of the mutally agreed term of annexation.

Bottom line is that while you are technically correct in the terminology, the Republic of Texas and the United States agreed upon it being annexation.

ANNEXATION | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

But if you disagree, then I am anxious to hear what the real answer is! LOL
Oh I am not saying it was not mutual. I am saying the term annexation is incorrect. Lol, we have basically given away the answer so I will answer it. Texas is the only state to enter the Union via TREATY- as in a mutual agreement between two countries. I was just being technical with the term annexation since just about every state was annexed, and that the Treaty part is what sets Texas apart

Since you almost got it, you should go ahead and ask one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas