Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
etx etx started this thread

49 posts, read 106,016 times

Advertisements

I've been reading and reading. We are coming down in 2 weeks for a visit. Amarillo and Lubbock are on the very short list of places we would like to move to.

Coming down in an 24' rv. It will be just me and my children and so safety is big.

Safe rv parks in each area?
Am I likely to get robbed while parked?
Is the "windy" I read about windy enough to blow my rv over if its not tied down?
How cold is it there March/April, do I need to bring coats, hats, mittens?
Are there areas I should not even drive through in either city?
Whats the story on drugs in the area?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

A couple more.

What is the dress expected for church?
One of the reasons Amarillo is high in the running is the high rate of religious affiliation (87%) noted online. Would you say thats accurate?
Lubbock is noted considerably lower (63%), does that seem accurate?

(Thank you for your patience with my questions! =) I currently live in an area where religious folks are a stark minority, especially Baptists, and its expected to wear jeans to church.)

Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM

437 posts, read 926,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etx View Post
I've been reading and reading. We are coming down in 2 weeks for a visit. Amarillo and Lubbock are on the very short list of places we would like to move to.

Coming down in an 24' rv. It will be just me and my children and so safety is big.

Is the "windy" I read about windy enough to blow my rv over if its not tied down?

Thanks so much.
I can try to answer your questions as to Lubbock:

1. KOA campground is safe and has an indoor pool that the kids might enjoy. However, it's actually a bit north of the city. Camelot Village is very nice and conveniently located off Loop 289. Here's the link for each: Lubbock KOA | Campground Photos | Camping in Texas | KOA Campgrounds
Commanders Palace Lubbock TX - Camelot Village and RV Park

2. You are not likely to get robbed there.

3. The wind will not knock your RV over.

4. Temps for March/April can vary widely. For example, this week Lubbock is expected to have highs in the 80's and 90's and lows are in the 40's. Light jackets and jeans will likely suffice for the evenings.

5. There are not any areas that are unsafe to drive through in Lubbock. The further southwest you go, the nicer the city becomes. I never encountered any drug issues there, but not sure about the statistics. I would avoid anything east of I-35 or north of 19th Street.

6. Church attire largely depends on which church you're planning on attending. If you are planning on visiting a Baptist church, message me and I will get you some more information and a host while you are there.

You should also be aware that the entire state of Texas, particularly this region, is in the middle of extreme drought right now. Hope this helps and that you have a safe trip!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,587,052 times
Quote:

Thanks so much.
I'm not too sure of any RV parks here, but they'll be likely to be on the outskirts of town, which means that crime will be even less of an issue.

I don't know how much wind it takes to knock an RV over while parked, but I'd suspect it's very very unlikely that it will be a problem, even this time of year (our windy season). But there is always a slight possibility that there could be a collapsing storm that produces a strong downburst, just so you know. Try your best to orient the RV east-west just in case.

This time of year is known for it's bipolar weather. It's been incredibly warm and dry compared to normal this year, though. You'll probably only need a jacket, but it's snowed a few inches in mid-April before (only a couple of years ago actually).

Drugs are here and causing problems like everywhere else, but it's not on most peoples' minds on a regular basis. It mostly has to do with the area of town you're in. Lubbock is very safe in general west of Avenue Q. In my opinion, Amarillo has more of a seediness problem.
Quote:
A couple more.

What is the dress expected for church?
One of the reasons Amarillo is high in the running is the high rate of religious affiliation (87%) noted online. Would you say thats accurate?
Lubbock is noted considerably lower (63%), does that seem accurate?

(Thank you for your patience with my questions! =) I currently live in an area where religious folks are a stark minority, especially Baptists, and its expected to wear jeans to church.)
I grew up in a Southern Baptist church in Lubbock. Some churches are more casual about attire than others, but I always wore jeans or slacks and an untucked polo. Grown men generally tuck their shirts in. Women will wear a nice blouse. Wearing everyday clothes would make you stand out a little as visitors, but most wouldn't judge at all. They would most likely bombard you with welcomes. Which churches are you looking into, or do you know yet?

Based off of my experience, I would estimate that both cities are in the 75% range. It seems very suspect to me that they would differ by that much. The major difference between the cities is that Lubbock is much more white-collar than Amarillo, but that wouldn't really explain the discrepancy in survey results.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Thank you both so much for the information. I have decided we will visit First Baptist in Amarillo but have not figured out Lubbock yet, so rr2005, I will message you and appreciate the information.

Westerner92, I wondered myself about the discrepancy and thought maybe it was the college kids in Lubbock throwing it off. It is a dream of mine to raise my kids in an area that actually encourages our faith <3

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,587,052 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much for the information. I have decided we will visit First Baptist in Amarillo but have not figured out Lubbock yet, so rr2005, I will message you and appreciate the information.

Westerner92, I wondered myself about the discrepancy and thought maybe it was the college kids in Lubbock throwing it off. It is a dream of mine to raise my kids in an area that actually encourages our faith <3
Well I can guarantee that Lubbock and Amarillo are certainly good places for that. The most well-known Baptist churches in Lubbock are First Baptist, Indiana Avenue, Southcrest, and Bacon Heights if that's more what you're looking for. I grew up at Indiana Avenue, and it's grown from a small start-up to quite a large establishment in my lifetime. The same is true for Southcrest. There are also plenty of smaller churches, and many "non-denominational" churches that operate much like a Baptist church.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 35,562 times
Howdy!

I live in Amarillo and can answer a few of your questions.

- Wind is notable here, but not enough to blow over an RV, but it might give you a little trouble as you pull it when the wind hits it just right. However, I don't know of any stories of folks actually being blown off the road.

- I agree above commenter who said it is bipolar this time of year. A few days ago it was almost 90 and today it is in the low 50s. A great thing about Amarillo weather - it never gets boring!

- Amarillo is safe, especially in the southwest, northwest, and southern and western edges of the city. But I encourage you to visit all parts of our city, including our downtown that is in the middle of revitalization.

- The "seediness" referenced above is a matter of perspective - I've always thought Lubbock was MUCH more seedy than Amarillo, but then again it goes back to our old rivalry.

- You will be nurtured in your faith journey in Amarillo, that's for sure. Some of the busiest times for restaurants here is Sunday lunch because of all the church-goers. You won't feel weird talking about going to church or having faith discussions. The vibrant faith community is part of what I love about this city. Dress will vary by church.

I hope this helps. Have a safe trip!

-dengar22

Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,383,631 times
Today here northeast of Lubbock something strange and wet fell briefly from a cloudy sky. It is chilly enough to have the pellet stove running.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 PM

Thanks everyone =) We leave for Texas in one week!

More questions, I'm looking at the workintexas jobsite and many of the job desciptions say "no RIO" what does that mean? I'm interested in staying in childcare, but not seeing a lot of posts for it, is childcare saturated or am I looking in the wrong place?

We are planning to look all around both cities, and a little in between =) My children noticed Happy, Texas on the map and really want to go there, lol! Any apartment leads in either city, 3bd family friendly? I saw Town Parc Amarillo on craigslist and the units looked lovely, is this a safe place? Is there a site WTX/Panhandle area uses more than craigslist?

Last edited by etx; 03-20-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

100 posts, read 364,904 times
Quote:
More questions, I'm looking at the workintexas jobsite and many of the job desciptions say "no RIO" what does that mean?
It probably refers to the Re-integration of Offenders program: TWC - Project RIO (http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/rio.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas