Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times

Advertisements

I just got back from Texas on my job interviews and got 3 great job offers.
I am considering two of them. One is in Kingsville (Kleberg County) and the other is in Kenedy (Kenedy County). Both are great jobs, but very different towns and jobs. I am totally torn. Please help me decide based on what you know about the two communities........Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Boy, you are moving way south. Those counties are very close together, so there is not much real difference in topography. Both are coastal plains, lots of sun and salt, occasional (although really quite rare) hurricanes. I don't know much about the specific towns, but I would definitely consider being closer to Corpus Christi.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,270 times
I'd say Kenedy, just because it's close to Poth and Floresville. Also, pretty close to the big city (San Antonio).

Old 08-19-2006, 03:16 PM

92 posts, read 673,638 times
Default From former Kingsvillian

I lived in Kingsville for quite a number of years.
Wouldn't go back to live there if you paid me.
Fairly impoverieshed...lots of areas of city have shacks for homes.
Hot!! and Humid!!! Summer: temps in 100's and humidity around 90%...can't bear to go outside until at least after 11 pm.
Countryside: flat, mostly mesqute and cactus, desert like.
City streets: many atrocius.
No cutural attractions. Nearest of these is Corpus Christi.
Does have Naval Air Station, sizable university, rich King Ranch and its affiliated rich banks...while I was living there, I saw the city had potential with all of the above, but never materialized...only got worse.
Kleberg Co govt and local law enforcement have bad repuation for cooperating with drug dealers passing thru the hwy 77 corridor from Mexico.
I only go back there for funerals of family members, and get depressed just looking at the place.
Have passed thru Kenedy, but don't know much about it, but I personally would NOT recommend Kingsville.
Sorry for the bad, but honest assessment from one who lived there, and has been very glad to get out of there.

I am considering two of them. One is in Kingsville (Kleberg County) and the other is in Kenedy (Kenedy County). Both are great jobs, but very different towns and jobs. I am totally torn. Please help me decide based on what you know about the two communities........Thanks![/quote]

Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,766 times
I'd recommend Kingsville because of it's proximity to Corpus. A lot more attractive with more options than Kenedy, which is nothing more than a dot on a map that's only claim to fame is the penitentiary located there.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:16 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,270 times
Kenedy has a large polish population for a small town. It's also very very close to Poth and Floresville, two very beautiful areas.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:39 PM

i just got back from there, for the interview
i liked the topography-the landscape
the humidity aint NOTHING compared to the skeeter filled swampy air of south coastal GA. i did not sweat anywhere NEAR like i do in GA
i dont care about attractions-i am a country girl, like hunting and fishing and outdoors, and wouldnt mind being within an hour of the beaches on the Gulf
i like the fact that it is a town with a rich ranching heritage and lots of ranches, and that NAS Kingsville is there for my taxfree shopping (am reserves)
are there rodeos there? i am a big rodeo fan
so musicman, where did you move to?
p.s. dont mind impoverished shacks-i am not into yuppy suburbia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman107 View Post
I lived in Kingsville for quite a number of years.
Wouldn't go back to live there if you paid me.
Fairly impoverieshed...lots of areas of city have shacks for homes.
Hot!! and Humid!!! Summer: temps in 100's and humidity around 90%...can't bear to go outside until at least after 11 pm.
Countryside: flat, mostly mesqute and cactus, desert like.
City streets: many atrocius.
No cutural attractions. Nearest of these is Corpus Christi.
Does have Naval Air Station, sizable university, rich King Ranch and its affiliated rich banks...while I was living there, I saw the city had potential with all of the above, but never materialized...only got worse.
Kleberg Co govt and local law enforcement have bad repuation for cooperating with drug dealers passing thru the hwy 77 corridor from Mexico.
I only go back there for funerals of family members, and get depressed just looking at the place.
Have passed thru Kenedy, but don't know much about it, but I personally would NOT recommend Kingsville.
Sorry for the bad, but honest assessment from one who lived there, and has been very glad to get out of there.

I am considering two of them. One is in Kingsville (Kleberg County) and the other is in Kenedy (Kenedy County). Both are great jobs, but very different towns and jobs. I am totally torn. Please help me decide based on what you know about the two communities........Thanks!
[/quote]

Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 PM

yeah it is kind of in middle of nowhere...and about the claim to fame, yeah you are right..though i love the prison there and would love the job itself...i would be living in Beeville though. just working in Kenedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
I'd recommend Kingsville because of it's proximity to Corpus. A lot more attractive with more options than Kenedy, which is nothing more than a dot on a map that's only claim to fame is the penitentiary located there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas