Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,805 times

Advertisements

Hi All - my husband has just found out he's going to be working in Grapevine Mills Mall and we are looking to relocate our family to the area all the way from Glasgow in Scotland!
We have 2 boys - 4 1/2 yrs & 7 months - so we are looking for a nice family area, with good schools. I won't be able to work so a nice friendly community would be ideal as obviously I don't know a soul over there!
We'll probably rent a house (looking for at least 4 bedrooms) and was wondering if anyone can give me some indication of the best areas to live in (within a decent commute time for my husband - say 30mins to an hour max).
Oh and we'll also be bringing our dog!
Any help anyone can give on this or just general tips would be very much appreciated. I am a bit apprehensive about the whole thing but my brother in law recently came back from Auston and absolutely raved about Texas and the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,700,020 times
You will find that Grapevine, Colleyville, Flower Mound and Southlake all will suit you and be close to GVMM. In addition, there are nice areas along Mid Cities Blvd. in Euless and Hurst that are a reasonable distance from GVMM. You can go to the Realtor.com website to search.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,382,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotabroad View Post
Hi All - my husband has just found out he's going to be working in Grapevine Mills Mall and we are looking to relocate our family to the area all the way from Glasgow in Scotland!
I looooove that mall! It totally rocks!

I don't know enough specifics about Grapevine to recommend a neighborhood; it's a bedroom community outside of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Nothing about Grapevine and Austin are remotely alike, however. It's like comparing Glasgow to ... I dunno, Munich or Paris. They're polar opposites in look, feel, architecture, entertainment, food, demographics, etc. Grapevine feels more like an Oklahoma city to me. Austin is more like San Francisco or San Diego.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
DH and I have lived in Grapevine for 8 years now, and I will definitely say that it has what you are looking for! The community here feels like a small town, and there plenty of activities for young children and their moms, as well as for families. The city's website is here: City of Grapevine, Texas > Home Do look at the Parks & Recreation department, and the Library's web pages for activities. We also have a beautiful lake with parks and hike/bike trails all along the shore.

As for specific neighborhoods in Grapevine... Finding a 4+ bedroom house for rent is going to be the key. Most of the newer construction is on the south side of town, and there are more larger homes down there. But there really isn't a BAD part of town. We have very low crime overall. DH and I have lived in two different neighborhoods, and we've never had any problems in either one.

Grapevine-Colleyville Schools are also very well-regarded. Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District Do keep in mind that in Texas, the school districts' boundaries do NOT necessarily follow the city limits, so there are also some areas in Grapevine that have Southlake schools.

Please ask for more information if you need it. I am happy to help!
Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Be sure to take a look at the value of a dollar, housing rents, car/insurance/petro costs before getting tooooo excited. Just sayin'.

Good luck with the move, welcome to Texas! ! !

Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times
What Squirl said above is good and let me throw in Coppell, Keller, North Richland Hills and Bedford.

Many of us tall Texans have Scottish roots, hopefully you'll like it here. Just have to learn to adjust to our July & August heat. Strange thing about Scotland, we were over a few years back and those long haired cows you've got are the strangest sight. Looks like a cross between a cow and a buffalo.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:25 AM

Thanks so much for your help. Looks like my husband will be out in December with me and the family following in January/February so the info you've all provided is extremely useful. No doubt I shall be back on again before then as I've found this forum an excellent source of information! Oh and Rakin - we love our Highland Cattle here in Scotland - especially the calves who look just like big cuddly teddy bears!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times
You should contact a good real estate agent locally. We give what I call a "Chamber of Commerce Tour" showing people around a few areas and what is available for housing.

Best of luck, I have a feeling you'll fit in well here in TX. The Scots I've ever met have all been warm & friendly very similar to most TX natives.

Try some of our good Mexican food and a Margarita.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM

Rakin - are you local? As i say my hubby is out in December and if you are - he'd be very interested in that Chamber of Commerce tour you talk about! He's opening 2 new visitor attractions in the Grapevine Mills Mall so any gen on the local area would be great! Oh and you obviously have us Scots sussed - I love Mexican food and would never say no too a margarita!!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,656,716 times
Warning you now about hail storms! I am in Austin and have some friends here from the Glasgow area and the first hail storm they ever went through scared them to death! That and he tried to plant things native to Scotland and most died in his garden! Good luck to you and welcome to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas