Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,736 times

Advertisements

I am attending tstc and can either go to the Marshall or Waco branch.
I am from the Houston area, so the small size of Marshall would certainly be some what of a shock.
I read the majority of the long Waco thread... mixed opinions there.

so does anyone have any comments about the areas around North Waco or Marshall? stuff to do, eat, ethnicity etc...

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM

5,547 posts, read 7,855,534 times
North Waco would be considered the poorer part of town. TSTC is actually outside Waco to the north but it would still be considered the poorer part of town. Most of the upscale housing and growth is happening in the southern end of Waco and the southern suburbs like Woodway, Robinson, and Hewitt. Or to the west around China Spring. But there are also some very nice older neighborhoods within Waco along the lake and in the Lake Air, Austin Ave, and around Cameron Park. But the city is so small you can basically live anywhere in the greater Waco area and drive to TSTC in 10-20 minutes.

Waco is actually a fairly decent college town and I think you'll have more to do as a student in and around Waco. Baylor has an enrollment of around 15,000 and MCC has an enrollment of around 10,000. Add that to TSTC with an enrollment of around 5,000 and you have about 30,000 college students living around Waco. So there are a decent number of restaurants and businesses catering to students. Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth are both just 1.5 hours away so you have lots of weekend and evening possibilities to get out of town.

If everything else was equal in the two programs then I'd pick Waco to live.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin87 View Post
I am from the Houston area, so the small size of Marshall would certainly be some what of a shock.

so does anyone have any comments about the areas around North Waco or Marshall? stuff to do, eat, ethnicity etc...

thank you
I'd go with Waco.

Better atmosphere, more to do, centrally located to places like Dallas, Austin and the Killeen/Temple/Belton area, decent college scene, and more. North Waco is a mix of good and bad. Texasdriver is right, but he also forgets that those areas around Lake Waco, and Cameron park are considered part of North Waco.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

5,547 posts, read 7,855,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'd go with Waco.

Better atmosphere, more to do, centrally located to places like Dallas, Austin and the Killeen/Temple/Belton area, decent college scene, and more. North Waco is a mix of good and bad. Texasdriver is right, but he also forgets that those areas around Lake Waco, and Cameron park are considered part of North Waco.
Yes, well Waco has a weird directional system that makes no sense to anyone who didn't grow up here. Anyone looking at a map will see three major geographic boundaries. There is Lake Waco that borders most of Waco and Woodway to the west. There is I-35 which runs through the metro area N-S and there is the Brazos River which basically runs through the metro area from the NW to the SE. Generally speaking people travel through Waco on I-35 and think they are traveling either north towards Dallas or south towards Austin.

However the actual neighborhood designations predate I-35 and are defined by the river. The older part of Waco that likes south of the Brazos is considered North Waco. The part of Waco north of the Brazos is actually considered East Waco even through it is further north of North Waco. So someone driving through Waco on I-35 will first past through North Waco and then through East Waco and then finally through the northern suburbs of Bellmead and Lacy Lakeview where TSTC is located.

For someone not from Waco looking at a map of the urban area will see a distinct northern area north of the Brazos that includes East Waco, Bellmead and Lacy Lakeview. This area is generally poorer and more industrial although there are pockets of very upscale neighborhoods, especially along Gholson Rd where people have riverfront property.

There will be a central area that includes Baylor, Downtown, and most of the older upscale neighborhoods in Waco. Some of this area is technically called North Waco.

Finally there is an area of newer suburbs to the south and west of the city including the towns of Robinson, Hewitt, and Woodway. This is where most of the newer residential and commercial development is happening. Most of the new subdivisions are in this part of town. Mostly I think because people want to be in the Midway, Robinson and Lorena school districts rather than the Waco, LaVega and Connally school districts to the north.

Basically you can live in any part of the greater urban area and get to anywhere else within 10-20 minutes.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM

1,809 posts, read 4,325,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes, well Waco has a weird directional system that makes no sense to anyone who didn't grow up here. Anyone looking at a map will see three major geographic boundaries.

Basically you can live in any part of the greater urban area and get to anywhere else within 10-20 minutes.
Its what makes Waco special to me!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,077,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin87 View Post

thank you
Marshall is a nice little historic town with a very well preserved downtown & it looks absolutely beautiful at Christmas time, but its just that, a small interstate side town with not much going on. You'd be going to Longview or Shreveport for everything pretty much.

I personally like East Texas much better than where Waco is located, but that's just me. Waco is an Ok place too though.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Marshall is a nice little historic town with a very well preserved downtown & it looks absolutely beautiful at Christmas time, but its just that, a small interstate side town with not much going on. You'd be going to Longview or Shreveport for everything pretty much.

I personally like East Texas much better than where Waco is located, but that's just me. Waco is an Ok place too though.
Longview/Shreveport [Marshall] vs. Dallas/Austin [Waco]???

Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Longview/Shreveport [Marshall] vs. Dallas/Austin [Waco]???
Why do people from Waco (mostly people here on C-D) always feel compelled to lump it in with Dallas & Austin when Waco is almost 100 miles from either city? If that's the case then I could lump Tyler in with Dallas & Shreveport/Bossier City, La. Hell lets throw Houston in there too its only 200 miles away!

Its not all about population. Some people like geographic location as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,736 times
thanks everyone. after finding more information about the program, i am going to the waco school.
now to find an apartment... ill check out Woodway, Robinson, and Hewitt.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Coming from Houston I think you made a wise choice. Waco is a lot bigger than Marshall & therefore has a lot more going on. Don't expect big city living though as Waco is a galaxy away from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas