Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 30,146 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am trying to truly downsize and get out of the city environment and have a few acres in a rural area. Trying to think of what would be more easy, sensible, economical and comfortable to do.. I've seen some great RV's that people live in, as well as some singlewide (or double) that people have made look very nice. Just wondering if anyone has advice as to which would make more sense as I have really no clue or experience with either option. Just want to be able to buy something for less than 20,000 and live a nice comfortable and simple life on some pretty acres.

Also, if this belongs in a different forum, pleas let me know. I am in Texas so started here.

Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
It seems the more viable question is, Do you want to be able to drive your living quarters around with an RV or do you want your living quarters to be stationary on land in a single/doublewide?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 30,146 times
I don't need to be able to move, it could be a nice convenience but this is for stationary living. The reason I consider the RV is that the utilities are all there more or less ( I think?) whereas with a mobile you still have to dig a well and build a septic. I know you have to get water to the RV and not sure hwo that really works either. It seems like the RV route would be cheaper but not sure what is sacrificed in terms of loss of space compared to mobile home.

With the RV it is easy to visualize buying it, driving it and parking it where you want and being done whereas the mobile home would have more planning and other considerations but not real sure if I am right either way.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I give this some thought while driving for 18 hours from TX to Denver and back last week. I saw many RV's pulling small cars for local transportation. And many trucks pulling trailers with pop out living sections in them. I think it makes more sense to have a truck pulling a trailer, then you can disconnect the truck and use it for local transportation. That way you are paying for one motor vehicle and one to live in, rather then two motor vehicles, which require licenses, insurance and maintenance. It is easier to replace a truck and/or get it worked on then to do so with a motor vehicle when it needs engine repair.

If you are going to be on the road a lot going from place to place constantly, the RV is probably more convenient to use and live in while doing so. Unless you are pulling a car behind it, then the difficulties are similar.

There is no reason for the utilities to be any different in an RV versus a mobile home. Both have propane, electric generators, water tanks and holding tanks.

Both are viable alternatives. With either you could pack a small electric scooter inside for local commuting when you did not want to unhitch everything.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
Most RV's that I have seen are well above that 20000 limit. Don't know about mobile homes though. My mom is a full time rver and had 24 ft pull trailer now has a class A at 43 ft. The 24 ft was way to small. 5th wheels do give you more space than rvs and you don't have a motor to worry about so they cost less.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
House trailers are an abomination unto the Lord -- which is why He so frequently smites them with tornados.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
FIL has tried both of your ideas, and I really think he liked the mobile home better. He and MIL bought a single wide and moved it out to some land they had in the country. They enjoyed it very much. It was large enough that they could move around, and had a nice sized kitchen and living room.

Unfortunately, due to MIL's health, they had to move back to town, so they sold the mobile home. A few years later, after MIL passed away, he decided he wanted to move back out to "the farm", so since he was by himself he thought a travel trailer would be sufficient. He bought the most huge 5th wheel I have ever seen (3 axle big) and moved back to the farm. It was nice that he could just hook it up to his truck when he wanted to go on a trip, but no matter how big it was it still felt like he was living in temporary housing. He moved in some of his own furniture, like his recliner, but it still was just an RV.

Also, my parents tried living in a travel trailer for a few months when they sold their home, before the construction on their new home was completed. They hated it, but it was 2 of them, and not a huge trailer. Also, they were not doing it because they wanted to, but rather out of necessity. They were just lucky that they were parked at my sister's house for those months, and they could at least go into her house to get out of the trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas