Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,131,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I think California hates on the northeast (New York, Boston) the most, not Texas. I'm sure some hate on Texas but not a significant number of people. Many Californians end up in Texas anyways.
You don't have to be Californian to hate it. I actually am not a fan of that region and their cities either. I like New York City for what it is, my favorite is Buffalo, followed by Pittsburgh. The more humble a city altogether is, the more I like it.
I edge out Baltimore over Washington DC, I give edge to Philadelphia over Boston.

I am okay with visiting the place, but besides New York City, Pittsburgh, & Buffalo, you could not even pay me to live there. (not that there is anything wrong with it-just not my cup of tea)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,329,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I wouldn't say that Californians hate Texas. More like they nothing it.

Search on California forum with keyword "Texas" returns 52 results, with topics mostly asking about relocation advice, or who's leg do you have to hump to get some good ol' Texas style BBQ, and occasionally a few threads titled "Texas sucks" that are written by Texans who moved to Cali.

Search on Texas forum with keyword "California" returns 121(!!) results and with topics titled how much Texas is better than California posted mostly by a bunch of Texans (who had never been to California) and one French (who had never been to either of states)

I've been to California and many other so called Texas-hatin' states many times and the only reaction I got to "I'm from Texas" phrase was pure indifference. Only twice I've experienced some condescending attitudes, first time in Seattle, second time in Philly, none of them surprised me knowing that former is populated by the smug hippie programmers, and the latter by Eagles and Flyers fans.

Texans always claim that they want Texas remain the way it is, subconsciously though they all want it to be the New California. That could probably explain why are they constantly trying to make comparisons between the two
Yes, City Data is a good representation of all Texans.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,388,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
oh I don't know, I don't actually live in tx, or ever have...I was scanning new posts and this caught my eye so I jumped in being that I'm an ex Californian who has never had a complaint about Tx lol....I wish we had taco shops out here in Va, I miss them...and no, they aren't for everyone! But pretty much any native from socal will say that it's the BEST!

anyways, carry on Tx

and I too hate when someone dogs on their new home...adjust and be happy or keep it to yourselves...I left Ca for a reason and while I miss things, I'm happy where we are!
What kind of food is in Virginia anyway? Confession: I know very little about the southern states, except for Louisiana, where I went to school briefly as an undergrad. But I don't think that New Orleans is representative of most of the South. I know that they dry treat their BBQ, which makes it far more palatable, IMHO.

I lived in the PNW for a spell, and I did not miss Mexican food or BBQ one bit. A reason to love indigestion. Loved the seafood, even though it was quite spendy compared to Texas standards. Missed good Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Greek, German, French and Japanese (sushi). I was subjected to possibly the worst quality Asian food in mass quantities (a reason to love food poisoning, which I got in spades). The coffee sucked; the further away a place is from where coffee beans are actually grown, the worse it is. When I purchase whole coffee beans, I expect to be asked, "... and how would you like those roast?" and to carry out a bag that's still warm. (Sorry, Pete's. You didn't impress me.)

Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,753,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I know exactly the thread you are talking about, in fact I started it and am one who mentioned taco stands and absolutely NO, you cannot find those anywhere...people are used to foods of their regions, no matter where they are from and they almost always cannot be duplicated, unless it's a chain.
You must never have been to Houston then because there's a taco stand on practically every corner here. The ones that I frequent are quite good by the way.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You must never have been to Houston then because there's a taco stand on practically every corner here. The ones that I frequent are quite good by the way.
My wife, a native of Houston, took me on a visit to see family back in '02. There were taco stands, taquerias and Mexican restaurants operated by Mexicans everywhere, serving really good food. I was surprised to see lots of Taco Bell restaurants, too, serving corporate unauthentic Mexican food. Why would anyone go to a Taco Bell when you can get better food next door at a taqueria? Maybe the Bells are for the Yankee palates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Confession: I know very little about the southern states,
I was glad to see this line in a post from a Texan. My wife and I have argued about whether Texas is a Southern state or not. She considers herself a Southerner and calls Texas a Southern state. I, a native Georgian, tell her that I am the real Southerner, while she is a Southwesterner. I lump Texas in with Arizona and New Mexico.

Actually, both Texas and Georgia have become so filled with Yankees that both states are losing their Southern qualities.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,437,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

Actually, both Texas and Georgia have become so filled with Yankees that both states are losing their Southern qualities.
I agree. And that is not a good thing!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,852,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I wouldn't say that Californians hate Texas. More like they nothing it.

Search on California forum with keyword "Texas" returns 52 results, with topics mostly asking about relocation advice, or who's leg do you have to hump to get some good ol' Texas style BBQ, and occasionally a few threads titled "Texas sucks" that are written by Texans who moved to Cali.

Search on Texas forum with keyword "California" returns 121(!!) results and with topics titled how much Texas is better than California posted mostly by a bunch of Texans (who had never been to California) and one French (who had never been to either of states)

I've been to California and many other so called Texas-hatin' states many times and the only reaction I got to "I'm from Texas" phrase was pure indifference. Only twice I've experienced some condescending attitudes, first time in Seattle, second time in Philly, none of them surprised me knowing that former is populated by the smug hippie programmers, and the latter by Eagles and Flyers fans.

Texans always claim that they want Texas remain the way it is, subconsciously though they all want it to be the New California. That could probably explain why are they constantly trying to make comparisons between the two
Yep. California doesnt have to advertise itself as being so great. People recognize it for what it is. However, Texas doesnt jump of the page as a great place. You have to dig more to figure out why Texas is great.

I think that eats a lot (certainly not most or all) of Texans up.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,852,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
In neighborhoods with significant amounts of Mexicans I have noticed that, though I think the on "practically every corner" thing is exaggerated.

Dallas, San Antonio, Tucson, Phoenix, Vegas, Chicago, and large parts of Austin are that way too. I think thats one of those things that is common in any place that has large amounts of Mexicans.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM

423 posts, read 826,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
If you're talking about the entire states then I don't know about Georgia but small Texas towns are not "filled with Yankees", maybe 3-5 people per 1,000. A lot of the ones I encountered were rednecks from the Midwest, they were hardly a threat to your precious southern values, as they have possessed the same mindset and world-view as the local folks and were gladly accepted into the community.

If you were talking about major cities, well I'm afraid you're a little late with your concerns, "Yankees" began moving in some time after the Reconstruction and then the foreigners, so really "southern qualities" were lost long time ago. Personally though, I consider that a good thing!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM

423 posts, read 826,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes, City Data is a good representation of all Texans.
OP didn't really specify where he got his impression that Californians hate Texas, so I can only assume it was picked up on City Data boards. Unless it was from his personal experience, to which I had given my own experience that slightly differed from his. But honestly I don't know what would be a good representation of all Texans and all Californians as I don't think there was ever any credible scientific research conducted for the sole purpose of analyzing Texas-California relations. So we can only make assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas