Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times

Advertisements

When you think of a good place to raise kids what do you look for.

I see over and over again people (most without kids) saying that cities like San Antonio is a good place to raise kids because of Sea World and Fiesta.

Now to me it sounds like a great vacation spot to bring kids, but actually raise them? How many days a year do you visit theme parks?

For me a great place to raise kids would have to have decent schools, lots of after school programs and activities, decent museums and arts scene.

Now saying this, although smaller cities are generally safer than larger ones, I just can't see myself living in a city much smaller than a million people or not within an hour away from a city that size.

So with this in mind which major Texas city is best for raising kids?

To be honest from my time in the metroplex kids were the furthest thing on my mind so I don't know much in that department but I would think that there are numerous burbs that would rank up there in the top. The Metroplex has everything right there.

Austin and San Antonio I would rank really low based on lack of activities in the case of Austin and based on poor schools in San Antonio.

Houston burbs, Like Dallas, I would rank on top based on all the educational and extracurricular activities.

what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
I don't have children, but if I did, I'd look at the top-performing schools in Texas ranked nationally, which are Plano, Lake Austin (HS) and Eanes (right outside of Austin), and I would make every sacrifice to make sure that education came first over everything else, especially entertainment. My cousins graduated from one of the Plano HS's, I'm in the Lake Austin HS area, and I know several people who graduated from Westlake (Eanes). Of all three, I find Eanes most impressive; it has all of the qualities you normally see in private schools.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Great info Melissa. Most people usually go the theme park route.

My problem with Austin would be the after school activities. Do you know much about the Austin children's museum? Do they have volunteer activities for kids? What about the Austin symphony (and other performing arts groups) would you know of education programs for kids they may provide?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
I worked with kids for many years. And yes, there are an abundance of things for kids to do here. The children's museum is really great, but there are also a lot of other museums that are appropriate for children as well, where they can see great works of art and traveling displays (Austin Museum of Modern Art). We have a symphony orchestra, a ballet and an opera. I believe there's a children's symphony and ballet, as well. When I was at UT in the music school, a lot of the piano performance majors taught children to "earn our keep." (UT has an exemplary fine arts department.) Children's yoga seems to be quite big here. There are various language and fine arts schools. The Montessori schools are really great, from what I hear from parents who take that route. I would say that the difficult thing about living in Austin with children is that there is a lot of external stimuli--perhaps too much. I'd have a hard time bringing up a child in Austin, to be honest. I think I'd want someplace with fewer activities, so they'd focus on schoolwork. Plano is really 'burby--no symphonies, museums, etc. It could be the better bet if you want to keep your kids focused on getting good grades.

Just from what I've heard about Eanes, these are very challenging schools. If your child is in Eanes, there's a lot of studying. Kids graduate from Eanes HS fluent in two languages. Many spend a year studying abroad. It is also very affluent (read: expensive), which is the downside. A lot of parents rent smaller apartments or condos just so their children can go to school there, and I don't blame them--this is exactly what I'd do. Westlake (where Eanes is located) is the perfect atmosphere for families, just close enough to Austin so there are things to do, but they roll up the carpets by nine o'clock at night, so it's very quiet. The shopping is great, and it's right on the cusp where the landscape starts to get very hilly, dense and green. It really is gorgeous.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all your information. I guess Austin has more art related activities than I gave it credit for.

I looked up Eaned thought and found lots of good things. It isn't ranked in the top schools by US news and world report, but was ranked high by another ranking

US news only had schools form Dallas and Houston and one school from the valley (go figure).

Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Htownlove - I really have no idea where your ideas come from. It sounds like you aren't a parent yet either. Who are you talking to that thinks San Antonio is such a great place to raise kids because of its theme parks?

Every parent has their own values and priorities. I am a parent of three and I think the following, not in any particular order, are important when choosing (if you realistically have a choice) a place to raise kids:

1. low crime rate and general climate of safety
2. schools with a proven history of academic results
3. a place where schools aren't too large
4. a community not built on status and material accumulation
5. schools that make good use of their taxpayer's money
6. an area where outdoor activities are easy to find
7. an area friendly for teenagers including the opportunity to work

I think there are very good schools in all major Texas cities. San Antonio's Northeast ISD has a long history of good schools. Alamo Heights is an excellent, smaller, but upper class school district.

The Houston area has Katy ISD, Conroe ISD, and others.

Dallas suburbs such as Plano, Frisco, and others have very good schools.

Austin has Eanes, Round Rock, Lake Travis, and other good schools.

I think the pursuit of top ranked schools is actually a silly game. The best predictor of a child's performance in school is their parents. Westlake HS in Austin is always in the top school lists. Lots of top performing kids there. But that doesn't mean it is the perfect school for each and every kid. The social pressure on kids at Westlake is powerful. It has a well deserved reputation for a plentiful drug supply. It is a good school if you want to be part of keeping up with the Joneses.

I would place little value in traditional "culture" (museums, symphony) when deciding where to live. If I want to see those things - I am willing to drive. Same as with theme parks. San Antonio is not far away.

Melissa - you live near (Stephen F.) Austin high school, not Lake Austin high. It is one of the best high schools in Austin ISD. Guess what - it draws kids from upper income families - who almost always do well in school.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Great info Melissa. Most people usually go the theme park route.

My problem with Austin would be the after school activities. Do you know much about the Austin children's museum? Do they have volunteer activities for kids? What about the Austin symphony (and other performing arts groups) would you know of education programs for kids they may provide?
No they don't. Otherwise everyone with kids would live in San Antonio or Arlington.

Austin is not noted for museums, children's or otherwise. However the art and music scene is very active in Austin. The art and music programs at my kid's high school (Lake Travis) are very strong.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Htownlove - I really have no idea where your ideas come from. It sounds like you aren't a parent yet either. Who are you talking to that thinks San Antonio is such a great place to raise kids because of its theme parks?
You wouldn't believe how many times I here from people that "San Antonio is a good place to raise kids....fiesta Texas and Sea world is there"

Some one told my friend Huntington WV is a great place to raise kids because it is close to the river and you can take the kids fishing

I think it would be a nice place but not for the river

Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No they don't.
When I say go the theme park route I mean in terms of their answer. Most don't even have kids they just think that is what parents do; take kids to Six flags.

I never said people actually moved BECAUSE of the theme parks. read more closely

Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I don't have children, but if I did, I'd look at the top-performing schools in Texas ranked nationally, which are Plano, Lake Austin (HS) and Eanes (right outside of Austin), and I would make every sacrifice to make sure that education came first over everything else, especially entertainment. My cousins graduated from one of the Plano HS's, I'm in the Lake Austin HS area, and I know several people who graduated from Westlake (Eanes). Of all three, I find Eanes most impressive; it has all of the qualities you normally see in private schools.
The Houston area has the largest school district in the state with the best ranking (Exemplary), and that's Katy ISD. I really don't think there is a best place to raise children, but Houston and DFW offer the best options overall and generally have more things to do for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas