Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM

31 posts, read 156,451 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm even more confused than when I first started on here!
I don't know how many people even looked at my other posts, so here goes:
My husband and I are moving to Tenn as soon as our house sells in Ohio. He is a commercial carpenter, but he can build houses residentially as well. Union is a big thing up here, and he make almost $22 an hour. I know cost of living is cheaper there, but I'm not sure where the best place in Tenn is to be for him to work year-round. I am a medical biller, so can I can go anywhere. An acquaintance lives in Fayettesville and says it's wonderful. I've also heard of people going to AL to work! My head is spinning!!! We have two little kids to feed, and bills to pay.
Has anyone moved from a crappy place like Toledo, and made it in Tennessee??? Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Sorry, I don't know where we confused you so much on your other thread.

I'll let others reply here.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Well, the answer is that nobody is going to be able to give you a correct answer here. There are simply too many variables to look at. You seem to be assuming that moving from OH might solve your financial problems overnight. You need to sit down and do some basic math. For one, can you sell your home given the housing market in OH and if you do, what level of price cutting can you take? What are the prices of houses there compared to here? More? Less? about the same? Secondly, you need to check the bls.gov site to compare wages from OH to TN in your respective industries. As someone who grew up with a dad who worked in a number of manufacturing facilities in TN, it is still pretty safe to say that Unions are not as well-established in the Southeast, which is one reason why so many companies from up north moved down... to get away from the unions. So just be aware of this. Rust-Belt economics do not exist in the South as a whole.

lastly, construction has always been an industry that is susceptible to the whims of the economy and housing market. Nationally, the housing market is pretty much over with the exception of some of the areas that didn't witness the boom- like TN-. But moving to one of these regions isn't a total Guarantee that construction will be in perennial demand forever. I'm not going to mention specifics on this because there are those on this forum who probably work directly for the industry who might have a better grasp on the pulse of the market than I do.

But in general, a move is going to be a risk, there are no guarantees, and if you're looking for people to assure you that a move for you will make things all better, then you're not going to get it because we can't predict the future. Good luck on whatever you do.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
I don't think your more confused as all 3 topics you started all ask the same thing and the same people responded. you might just be looking for other people to reply hoping to find some guarantee of work for him but there's only so many people on this forum who might relate to your topic. i know it's a big thing to consider but your not going to get a cut and dry answer here. also just because your a medical biller doesn't mean there will be job openings for you. Hopefully you have taken a trip to TN already and driven around to see that unless your in or around a big city, there isn't much work out there. I too am moving to TN but have taken 4 trips just for researching the areas of interest and job locations. During our trips, we saw more log cabins under construction that regular homes.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM

I wasn't really looking for a guarantee of anything. I know people up here can say they know electricians or laborers or plumbers that have been out of work for months or years. I only thought someone here MIGHT have some personal experiences to share. I'm really not that hung up on statistics.
I mean, i can tell you that in Toledo, if you're a doctor, or lawyer, or truck driver, you;ll be ok. Just thought I might be able to get a little something like that here.
We were there in September, and are going back in a week, so hopefully we will get some ideas while we are in the area. My husband has family down there, so I know we'll have a little guidance. I just wanted to hear from unbiased folks, not just family.

Last edited by amandak; 06-12-2007 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM

And I just meant I was confused on whether or not Knoxville or Nashville would be a better opportunity!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
And I just meant I was confused on whether or not Knoxville or Nashville would be a better opportunity!
Well, Nashville is bigger, and growing more. There is likely to be a better chance of finding what you're looking for job-wise in Nashville. But housing might be a little more expensive too. I just don't know myself what's available in Knoxville; you might easily find employment there as well.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There is construction in Knoxville, but less transplants in Nashville.

Job market is tight in Knoxville and jobs will always go to the locals first. Once again, the pay is not going to be the same. Not even close.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,884 times
Check out the Tri Cities area. Hawkins County is one of the fastest growing counties in TN right now (our builder has multiple houses going up right now.) There are also some nice sized hospitals there too.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Hello, Amandak. I would recommend the Nashville area. It is experiencing fast growth with lots of businesses moving in, and housing costs are not bad for a city of that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee