Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Now that lawmakers have voted to more than triple the state's tax on each pack of cigarettes, members of both parties are trying to figure out ways to balance that hike with a reduction in the sales tax on groceries.

Senate Republicans have been championing a plan to temporarily eliminate the state's 6 percent sales tax on food during six to eight weeks at the end of the year. House Democrats, meanwhile, are pushing for a permanent reduction in the sales tax to 5.5 percent.

Democrats, Republicans offer plans to reduce state's food tax - Nashville, Tennessee - Wednesday, 06/06/07 - Tennessean.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM

764 posts, read 1,457,312 times
Default What! Cooperation! What the heck's goin' on?

It's refreshing to my spirit to see examples of Democrats and Republicans working together for solutions. I had heard this cooperation was common in Tennessee.

I'm new around here so I don't know who "Bredesen" is whose name in mentioned twice in the last paragraph. I've reread the article 3 times for a prior reference but either missed it or it isn't there.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Bredesen is the governor of the state.

He's also a multi-millionaire.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Default I should have kept my mouth shut!

Governor of the State, huh. I am truly embarrassed; I should certainly have known that. Still, though, it wouldn't have been unreasonable for the reporter to have written Governor Bredesen for us uninformed types.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~ Mark Twain

I need to more frequently consider this epigram.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Happy Yappy! I'm truly astonished that you did not know the name of the GOVERNOR of the fair state of Tennessee.

But you saved yourself with the Twain quote and you are right, that was shoddy reporting. It must have been edited from AP by the Tennessean. And why is the Tennesseans pulling wire stories and not sending their reporters to cover the story?

But I digress...

I am dancing for joy at the possibility of them reducing this ridiculous tax, that when coupled with county tax, comes in at a WHOPPING 9.25 percent for groceries.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Default I used to have a governor on an old farm truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Happy Yappy! I'm truly astonished that you did not know the name of the GOVERNOR of the fair state of Tennessee.
I better start reading the newspaper while I'm in those parking lots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am dancing for joy at the possibility of them reducing this ridiculous tax, that when coupled with county tax, comes in at a WHOPPING 9.25 percent for groceries.
If I'm not mistaken, Washington State's sales taxes are lower than here, and food is exempt (I think). I should pay more attention to prices--something my wife has no qualms about reminding me of.

We didn't know anything about prices or taxes when we decided to moved here. We moved because we think it's a cool State--NON-climatologically-speaking, of course.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
making food items non-taxable will be welcomed by this family! In FL most food items are exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee