Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM

15 posts, read 31,931 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a young couple with two small children living in MS. We are looking to relocate and are interested in the Memphis or Nashville area. We realize we are looking for Utopia, USA, but, let's try. We are seeking a smaller city or area near MEM and Nashville that is "artsy" and tolerant, someplace where we can buy a house and walk out our front door to a little downtown area with restaraunts and shops, etc., yet still be near a metro area. We are open minded and are leaving MS because we don't fit in here. We want a place with people are tolerant, understanding, and are not religious centered zealots. Does an area like tis exist (other than San Francisco) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-2006, 11:54 AM

105 posts, read 271,229 times
Tennessee is the last place you should look. This is Gun-toting Nascar-driving Jesus country. Now, if you were looking for a doublewide with a yard for your trampoline, above ground pool, and rottweiler, this is the place. You better get your mind right before moving to Tennessee.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:49 PM

45 posts, read 250,654 times
Default Man, will you please move

Mr. Bighead:
Do you EVER have anything good to say about Tennessee? If you hate the state so much after spending a lifetime there, why not pack up and get out. Leave it for the rest of us to enjoy, please.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 PM

15 posts, read 31,931 times
Magster, where should we look?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 PM

130 posts, read 567,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMindedinMS
Hello! We are a young couple with two small children living in MS. We are looking to relocate and are interested in the Memphis or Nashville area. We realize we are looking for Utopia, USA, but, let's try. We are seeking a smaller city or area near MEM and Nashville that is "artsy" and tolerant, someplace where we can buy a house and walk out our front door to a little downtown area with restaraunts and shops, etc., yet still be near a metro area. We are open minded and are leaving MS because we don't fit in here. We want a place with people are tolerant, understanding, and are not religious centered zealots. Does an area like tis exist (other than San Francisco) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Okay, I'm not so sure what you a looking for people to be "tolerant" about and reading by your post I can't tell why you "don't fit in" in MS but if you're looking for a sister city to San Francisco it's not in TN. The closest thing you'd find to San Francisco around here would probably be Asheville NC since they have a lot of eccentric and artsy types.

Joe

Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,075 times
On the other hand, a lot of it depends on you. Yes, there are some "zealots" in every town, but there are also tolerant people in every town. The place that Bighead described is where I live, in Jasper, FL. We're as redneck and religious as they come. But there are also people here in the town that are known to be "different" and live in a different situation, and nobody has thrown rocks. You may get the cold shoulder, but then I bet you've inured yourself to that already. So...give it a try. Your sweet babies make the change worth it. But you may think of a bigger town rather than a smaller one. Believe me, every mother in town knows what her kid has been up to before he gets home when you live in a small town.

Don't be discouraged. There are many who will support you where ever you go.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM

105 posts, read 271,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magster
Mr. Bighead:
Do you EVER have anything good to say about Tennessee? If you hate the state so much after spending a lifetime there, why not pack up and get out. Leave it for the rest of us to enjoy, please.
What are you talking about? I'm not being negative. What could possibly be negative about guns, nascar, jesus, doublewides, trampolines, above ground pools, and rottweilers? Tennessee RULES!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 AM

22 posts, read 92,205 times
Hi OpenMinded,
Have you looked into Northwest Arkansas? Yes, you will still be in the Bible Belt and there are a lot of churches, but there are a lot of artsy, hippy, young people. There are a ton of outdoor things to do and the area is growing so fast it can hardly keep up. Fayetteville is an awesome town. It's definitely a college town, but it has a lot of artsy people as well. Eureka Springs is about a 45 min. drive away. It's refered to as Little Switzerland. There are a ton of little shops on twisty streets. Great fun. Well anyway...that's my two cents. Good Luck with your search!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 AM

63 posts, read 303,393 times
I know of a place not exactly near Tennessee but close enough, San Fransisco!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 AM

146 posts, read 639,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3
I know of a place not exactly near Tennessee but close enough, San Fransisco!
The poster "OpenMinded" was on a different state a few days ago looking for any TOLERANT towns. His post seem to imply the majority of good people are not comfortable with their "lifestyle", which is correct. Apparently the responeses caused them to look to Tenn. now. Someone suggested SF which is good, I suggest NYC, a wonderful melting pot, embracing all kinks of... .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee