Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 272,866 times

Advertisements

I am currently retired and live in Michigan and love fly fishing for trout from a drift boat. I would love to live someplace where the weather was milder year around and where I could still drift a river to fish. I see where there are several rivers in Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina that might be available for this pastime. It would really resolve my dilema. I see where the Watauga River tailwater near Elizabethton might meet my requirements. Is there anybody out there that may live or fish in the area that could give me some insight into living and fishing in the area? Some of the concerns I have are acceptance as a "yankee" and surviving humidity in the summer. Any comments or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Check this previous thread out.....https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...questions.html

Also this link...... http://www.tnflyfishing.com/ From my understanding, not living in TN "YET"....... you will be excepted who ever you are as long as you don't try to change things.......

Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
There are plenty of trout in East Tennessee. In fact, they'e so plentiful that the wild trout streams don't need stocking.
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
There are lakes and ponds and tailwaters that do get stocked:
Head to a stream and throw out a line. You'll probably find a trout on the end before too long. A good friend is an avid trout fisherman. He's very, very happy in East Tennessee. The good places are relatively easy to get to, so it's not a huge project to knock off for a couple of hours and go fishing.
Polite and courteous Yankees who return the frienliness offered them are always welcome. You do have to learn to be patient and to be willing to stop and chat. I don't think the humidity is bad at all in East Tennessee. There's usually an afternoon breeze. Up in the mountains with the trout it would be much drier.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
I am currently retired and live in Michigan and love fly fishing for trout from a drift boat. I would love to live someplace where the weather was milder year around and where I could still drift a river to fish. I see where there are several rivers in Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina that might be available for this pastime. It would really resolve my dilema. I see where the Watauga River tailwater near Elizabethton might meet my requirements. Is there anybody out there that may live or fish in the area that could give me some insight into living and fishing in the area? Some of the concerns I have are acceptance as a "yankee" and surviving humidity in the summer. Any comments or input would be appreciated.
I don't know about Elizabethton but Norris, TN (a beatiful place in my opinion) has a chapter of Trout Unlimited:

index

I see them all of the time on the river between Norris Dam (high dam) and Weir Dam (low dam), some in waders and some in small boats. They could probably answer any fishing-related questions. There's an e-mail address on the web page and there are photos, too.

I think it's really hot here in the summer but I think it's too hot when it hits 80 degrees so I might not be a good person to ask about heat/humidity.

Here is more trout related info and photos on that same location:

Fly fishing the Clinch River near Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) with Southeastern Anglers flyfishing guides on the Clinch River fly fishing for trout

You could probably hit both locations on one visit to Tennessee.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Question Freee Advertising.? .....Whole trout

Thought there was not suppose to be free real estate advertising here..by Dot Coms.?
. Saw a nice fish shirt yesterday with three pictures. "I want the whole TROUT,... and nothing but the TROUT, so help you COD.!"
. Watch for the fine print in cabin/ownership ads. Cost of grass / repair maintance may end up at $ 400 / month .!
. Just like the Villages Golf in central Fla. Free golf for life when you buy.
Oh , by way $525 / month assn fees.
. Or the "Time Shares" club ,yearly membership $.
A few years ago won a FREE cruise from mortgage re-finance. $825 booking fee.? ...The older in life we get , should be smarted we get . ? Unless talking about the stock market.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 AM

37 posts, read 119,651 times
Last October, we stayed in Elizabethton at the Meredith Valley Cabins located on the Watauga River. Each morning, I rocked on the back porch with coffee in hand and watched the fly fishermen. It was sheer bliss.
Last month, I called to get reservations for April '09, however, every cabin is booked everyday already because of spring trophy trout fishing, so we are visiting again in May instead. I am assuming they have "standing reservations", although I don't know that for a fact.
I am from western New York (live on Lake Erie) and although we were only there for one week, we were greeted everywhere we went with a smile and a wave/handshake.....and if we hesitated long enough a nice little chit-chat as well!! It was a good experience for this "yankee".
The only thing I know about the humidity is that I won't have to shovel it out of my driveway and off my car. No "lake-effect" off the Watauga!
Good luck to you in your search.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 PM

116 posts, read 272,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante56 View Post
Last October, we stayed in Elizabethton at the Meredith Valley Cabins located on the Watauga River. Each morning, I rocked on the back porch with coffee in hand and watched the fly fishermen. It was sheer bliss.
Last month, I called to get reservations for April '09, however, every cabin is booked everyday already because of spring trophy trout fishing, so we are visiting again in May instead. I am assuming they have "standing reservations", although I don't know that for a fact.
I am from western New York (live on Lake Erie) and although we were only there for one week, we were greeted everywhere we went with a smile and a wave/handshake.....and if we hesitated long enough a nice little chit-chat as well!! It was a good experience for this "yankee".
The only thing I know about the humidity is that I won't have to shovel it out of my driveway and off my car. No "lake-effect" off the Watauga!
Good luck to you in your search.
Were you and are you going there fishing or just visiting? What else did you find to do in the area? I presume that by October the weather was pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know about Elizabethton but Norris, TN (a beatiful place in my opinion) has a chapter of Trout Unlimited:

index

I see them all of the time on the river between Norris Dam (high dam) and Weir Dam (low dam), some in waders and some in small boats. They could probably answer any fishing-related questions. There's an e-mail address on the web page and there are photos, too.

I think it's really hot here in the summer but I think it's too hot when it hits 80 degrees so I might not be a good person to ask about heat/humidity.

Here is more trout related info and photos on that same location:

Fly fishing the Clinch River near Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) with Southeastern Anglers flyfishing guides on the Clinch River fly fishing for trout

You could probably hit both locations on one visit to Tennessee.
LauraC this is good info. I am curious if anyone out there knows anyone who flyfishes in East Tennessee a lot, who might be willing to communicate with me. I know I could try the guides, but you get biased info from them. I would like to get info that is not biased, such as how heavy are rivers fished, attitudes of guides on river, best times to fish, real impact on varying dam flows on the fishing, river access, etc.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-10-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 29,244 times
We stay in Elizabethton a couple of times a year. I went fishing in July last year on the Watauga and it was really nice. We stay below the Wilbur Dam by the tailwaters. It is so peaceful there. Also, The water temp stays 60-some degrees all Summer. The Trout were plenty. They stock it very often. The further upstream you are the cooler the air temperature stays, because of the elevation.

I'm used to the humidity because we live in WV, so I can't give much advice. I really don't remember it being too hot, even in July. Maybe it was because I was having a great time.

We would love to move to Elizabethton, but our family is here in WV. Life in Eastern, TN is a calm life. The people are the friendliest in the world. The cost of living isn't bad either. Crime rates are low in the country. There is also much to do in the area. Johnson City, Bristol, and Kingsport are all close to Elizabethton. We went to a drive-in movie in Bristol one night, and went to a really nice restaurant in Johnson City the next night to celebrate our Anniversary. It was an awsome Anniversary trip.

Moderator cut: cut

April T

Last edited by Beretta; 03-10-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I am a fly-fisherman from East TN. I've fished the big tailwaters a lot: Watauga and South Holston. Both are very good and you can float both of them pretty much year-round. Holston has a ton of Rainbows & Browns - has quickly become one of the best trout waters in the Southeast & East in general. Watauga has some monster Browns, 'Bows and the occasional Brookie; very good trophy section.

Tons of mountain streams as well if you are looking for some different fly-fishing. There are a few TU chapters here that will glady accept you.

Anymore questions just PM me.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I am a fly-fisherman from East TN. I've fished the big tailwaters a lot: Watauga and South Holston. Both are very good and you can float both of them pretty much year-round. Holston has a ton of Rainbows & Browns - has quickly become one of the best trout waters in the Southeast & East in general. Watauga has some monster Browns, 'Bows and the occasional Brookie; very good trophy section.

Tons of mountain streams as well if you are looking for some different fly-fishing. There are a few TU chapters here that will glady accept you.

Anymore questions just PM me.
Where on the map is the South Holson river and Watauga rivers? You don't need to circle your fishin' holes, but generally, where do the anglers tend to concentrate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee