Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times

Advertisements

Finally, a "best' that I absolutely agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 AM

390 posts, read 1,702,411 times
We have been to two state parks so far and both were amazing. I love the emphasis placed on preserving nature here. I mean, I know there is development, but there is also great importance placed on parks and natural areas. Even the county and city parks are really nice here. As a matter of fact, I am not sure when I have been to so many parks in such a short period of time. I have been here one month and been to 7 parks in that time!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,545,070 times
Exclamation Tennessee State Parks

For every one going too the state parks ,as of October 1,2007 a NO SMOKING BAN has been placed on all parks. Inside all buildings pavillions and recreational facilities.........

Old 03-04-2008, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 38,143 times
Default TN State Parks/Vacations

Greetings from Maryland!

Last year we spent a wonderful, enjoyable week in Nashville, doing all the tourist sites, shows at G.O.O. & the downtown scene. Our 16 yo daughter loved it!

I must admit, it was almost a last minute change of plans, as we were planning a trip to Orlanda to see Mickey, but thought he has not changed much in the last 3 years since we have been to FL, so we picked Nashville to visit. Working in environmental engineering, it was the most relaxing week I have had in a LONG TIME!!

Anyway, I read that TN State Parks have been voted the "Best State Park System in the U.S."
So, I am looking for your best (and maybe not so best) state park story, vacation idea and stay.

I am looking for a place to fish, maybe bike, very scenic as I love to do photography as a major hobby and possibly hike (short distances, as I dont hike too well with 90 degree summer temps).

Being within a easy drive of some other attractions would be OK as well.

Love to hear some great park stories and some ideas to spend some time in your beautiful state again!!

Thanks
Mike

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,224,034 times
Some natural areas to consider . . .

Fall Creek Falls State Park; Land Between the Lake (between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley)--Paris Landing State Park is also nearby, as it the Ft. Donelson National Battlefield; the Natchez State Parkway (there are some small lakes that are good for bank fishing); Center Hill Lake; Dale Hollow Lake.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Nashville.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,666,261 times
Plan a stay in Wartburg, TN. There's a bed and breakfast type lodge there, the Scenic River Inn.
From there, it's easy access to Frozen Head State Park
Tennessee State Parks: Frozen Head State Park
as well as Obed Wild and Scenic River
Obed Wild & Scenic River - Obed Wild & Scenic River (U.S. National Park Service)
and Big South Fork
Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area - Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
You can also take side trips to Historic Rugby
Historic Rugby, Tennessee
and if you want dinner and a movie, you're about 45 minutes from Oak Ridge/Knoxville.
This is all up in the mountains so it won't get all that hot. Think green and leafy with lots of streams and waterfalls and rock.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Fall Creek Falls. Without hesitation, Fall Creek Falls. Tennessee has some wonderful state parks, but there's a reason why Fall Creek Falls is the most popular of all of them in spite of its remote location.

There are three spectacular waterfalls within the park including the tallest east of the Rockies. There are paved bike trails through forests and on the shores of a beautiful lake, and you can rent bikes there at the park. You can rent cabins in a forest or lakeside cabins that stick out over the lake. All have wood-burning fireplaces, and the park provides the wood. And they have modern kitchens and even cable TV. You can fish right from your back porch if you're in a lakeside cabin. There's also a very nice lodge and some beautiful camping areas. The park also has a very nice golf course, horseback riding, and lots of hiking trails.

As spectacular as the Smoky Mountains are, I'm putting in my will that when I die I want my ashes thrown over Buzzard's Roost overlook at Fall Creek Falls. You'll see what I mean. It's just a beautiful, beautiful area, and there at Buzzard's Roost you can sit on the edge of a cliff overlooking a steep river gorge and not see anything man-made as far as the eye can see.

If you want to see what the place looks like, go to the web site below, or check out the Disney movie (not the cartoon) The Jungle Book. Most of it was filmed there at Fall Creek Falls State Park although of course they brought in palm trees and elephants to make it look like India instead of the Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee.

Tennessee State Parks: Fall Creek Falls

Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,249,189 times
I've actually never been to Fall Creek Falls, so my vote would be for the Smokies. Great natural getaway (with lots of tourist info), plus if you want something else to do "in civilization" there's Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge (with Dollywood, and Splash Country if you're coming in the summer), and Knoxville.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmefish View Post
Greetings from Maryland!

Last year we spent a wonderful, enjoyable week in Nashville, doing all the tourist sites, shows at G.O.O. & the downtown scene. Our 16 yo daughter loved it!

I must admit, it was almost a last minute change of plans, as we were planning a trip to Orlanda to see Mickey, but thought he has not changed much in the last 3 years since we have been to FL, so we picked Nashville to visit. Working in environmental engineering, it was the most relaxing week I have had in a LONG TIME!!

Anyway, I read that TN State Parks have been voted the "Best State Park System in the U.S."
So, I am looking for your best (and maybe not so best) state park story, vacation idea and stay.

I am looking for a place to fish, maybe bike, very scenic as I love to do photography as a major hobby and possibly hike (short distances, as I dont hike too well with 90 degree summer temps).

Being within a easy drive of some other attractions would be OK as well.

Love to hear some great park stories and some ideas to spend some time in your beautiful state again!!

Thanks
Mike
I can recommend a day in Norris for photography and fishing and the Museum of Appalachia. If you are coming from the East, take I-75 North and get off at Exit 128. Make a left at the end of the exit ramp to get on US-441. That's a windy road (one lane in each direction), no traffic lights. On your left a little way down the road, you will see the west entrance to Norris Dam State Park. On your right, you will see the first of the Norris Dam overlooks. Pull in to the overlook, take photos of the dam from high up. Make a right coming out of there. You will be heading down, toward driving over the dam. On your left, right before the dam, is a big marina. Pull in, take photos at the base of the dam. Coming out of the marina, make a left to continue on 441 and go over the dam. As soon as you get to the other side of the dam, to your left is the East entrance to Norris Dam State Park and another view of the dam. To your right, is a great view of the dam, a visitor's center, a restroom and a picnic area. You will see and hear a lot of birds (cardinals, woodpeckers, bluebirds, sparrows, etc.) in this area on your right.

Make a right, after you leave the dam overlook (heading away from the dam).

Keep traveling on 441. On your left you will see the Grist Mill and thresher barn drive entrance and next door, the Lenoir Museum. Take photos. Should you have time (you won't) you could continue past the gristmill on a gravel road through the Norris watershed but instead, come back out and make a left back onto 441. Not far from there on your right, you will see a sign for Weir Dam. Pull into the parking lot where you will see people fishing from the shore and in the water (with waders). Make sure you have your license because they do come around and check. Weir Dam is also a great photo location to spot Great Blue Herons, ducks, geese and songbirds. Don't get caught fishing with waders when the dam is opened. There's a warning light. The water comes up fast. There is a restroom there.

Make a right out of the Weir Dam parking lot and continue down 441. On your right you will see a yellow sign for a cut off road to the Museum of Appalachia. Make that right. When you get to the main road, Route 61, make a right. The Museum of Appalachia is on the right. This is a great place for photographing farm animals and birds (peacocks, chickens, songbirds, hens) as well as scenery (in addition to what's inside the museum buildings). The Museum has a gift shop and a small restaurant. There is an entrance fee. When you exit the Museum, make a right onto Rt 61. You will see a sign for I-75 so you don't have to go back the way you came on 441.

Laura

Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM

380 posts, read 1,179,107 times
Cumberland Plateau parks are excellent:

Fall Creek Falls (though it can be very crowded in the summer - it has stunning swimming areas and waterfalls)

Cumberland Mountain near Crossville

Pickett State Park (Fairy tale stone cottages overlooking a lovely lake, sandstone arches and caves, excellent little park! Also close to Big South Fork National Recreation Area, historic Rugby, and Pickett is only 3 miles from Bacara's restaurant - top notch dining in an old schoolhouse)

Also, the Roan Mountain area is nice. Roan Mountain State Park is near Elizabethton, a charming town in Northeast TN. Easy trips into Johnson City, Jonesborough, and up into the Appalachians to see the Catawba Rhododendrons and hike part of the Appalachian trail on a grassy bald (Brown bald, maybe?). You can stand on the bald and look one direction toward TN and the other toward NC. Elizabethton also has a covered bridge and a drive-in theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee