Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,761 times

Advertisements

Could someone with knowledge about the city of Jackson help us out...

We visited there recently for a brief 2 day period based on an employment opportunity, and did a quick drive around tour of the city. We found the northwest part of the city appealing as far as living goes, and the USJ school would likely be our choice for the kids. Here are our concerns:

1) We do not regularly attend church, and worried about so many churches and church-goers in the area possibly looking down at us. Almost everyone we met was very sweet and kind, but we got the feeling of 'vanilla' or bland whereas we like to have backyard bbq's and beer, bonfires and laughter - would we be oddballs in the area?

2) The salary is excellent for sure. But we noticed that the group works 7 days per week, or nearly so. Now we are wondering if a. there is nothing else to do there, b. they are tapping into an excellent source of high income while the gettin' is good, or c. there is a reason that the pay is higher, as not many would be willing to work like this and spend little time with the family. So, is there just not alot to do there?

3) We like to bbq, go fishing, boating, camping, do automotive restoration on old hot rods, and watch the kids do various sporting ventures each season, such as soccer. Is all of this within easy reach of us if we move to the northwest side of Jackson, or should we examine living in another part of town or neighboring communities? Are there others like us out there?

Thanks for any help. I might come up with more questions because I dont think I was able to get them all out of my head right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 345,681 times
I live about 40 mi. south from the northside of Jackson and it has changed over the years. It used to be vast farmland and very few residents, now however it's loaded with folks that migrated there in the 80's & 90's but the building boom is about bust. In that area it was mostly people that thought they were getting away for whatever the reason but it has been invaded by all races and lower income residents alike. As far as being the backyard weekend sinner you will not have anything to worry about besides you might be surprised to find that you could actually be the mild one on the block. There is more things to do in and around the area than in the past, also you do not have far to go to access lakes, rivers, good hunting, camping and lots of outdoor activities. So if you say the money is there then go get it and enjoy.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks kbg. So are we wrong to have felt that we were in the 'buckle' of the bible belt in Jackson? It seemed that there was a church on every corner, and at dinner no one batted an eye, it was sweet iced tea around the table, with the steaks. We are not bad people, but we dont want to 'feel bad' for having a beer or 5 on a Saturday night around the bonfire, if you know what I mean. The town felt very dry, no children around playing, no people walking, nothing 'happening' so-to-speak. Granted, we had very little time to spend there so it was all taken in very quickly. Thanks so much.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
kbg

Sure thing, you have to realize that the northside is filled early on with baby-boomers and people from all over the U.S. desperiatly trying to live the good life along with trying to one up their neighbors. I was in construction at the time I speak of, thats how I know most are not from the area to start with and thats when it started the Northside Snob Clique, they all think very highly of themselves coming from many different backgrounds. It may not be the place for your family, it depends on what you want from a neighborhood? I got a new neighbor last year from Arkansas and they told me they were concerned that we may not accept them because of their lifestyle (much like yours) but needless to say we have become good friends. The point I'am trying to make is if you are good folks then I would'nt be concerned with others dryness, you could always look more to south Jackson although it's not as affluiant as the north but you might have more peace of mind in knowing there is more people like us out there, its a little bit luck and alot of determination but you'll fit in no matter where you choose.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 AM

17 posts, read 46,013 times
Hi, there. I was born and raised in Jackson and went to high school and college there. I moved away a few years ago, but I continue to visit family there at least five to six times per year.

1) Jackson is somewhat 'bland' as you noticed. I don't think that's necessarily Jackson's fault, to be quite honest, though. Jackson is just the right size to be frustrating -- too big to have a small town charm and too small to have the amenities you would find in a large city. And religion is a big part of life in Jackson. There's no getting around that.

2) Jackson has the typical things you would expect out of a town of 60,000. It has a couple of theaters (poorly run, btw), a bowling alley, and a mall (albeit small compared to regional malls such as Wolfchase). Keep in mind that you would be one hour away from Memphis and a couple of hours from Nashville, both of which offer plenty to do and both of which are great for day trips or weekend trips.

3) Fishing, boating, camping -- You'll find plenty of those activities near Jackson, though not necessarily in Jackson. Natchez Trace is a short drive to the east down I-40. Chickasaw is a short drive to the south down US 45. Lake Graham is good for fishing; it's in eastern Madison County. Beech Lake is good for swimming, picnicking, etc; it's near Lexington, a short (and pleasantly hilly) drive from Jackson.

Most folks who move to Jackson for work look at the exact area (northwest Jackson) that you're considering. It's a good area with some great subdivisions and neighborhoods, low crime, and convenience to most everything.

Overall, Jackson is a good place to live if you have to live there. I wouldn't just pick Jackson out of the blue if I was free to choose some place to live. However, there are places I'd less rather be, too.

I do think it's important, though, to realize that in Jackson--as in most of West Tennessee outside of Memphis--the church is the primary unit of organization. It's a religious institution and social club rolled into one. Churches and bars are where people in the area tend to meet each other.

Best wishes.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM

reimaginethis and kbg, thank you both so much for great posts/great information. Very much appreciated.

Churches and bars are so contradictive of one another, ha! I do think we lean towards the 'bars' although we're just more of the backyard bbq'ers. We are not drunkards for as much as my posts may illustrate for you...we just want to be sure we are happy where we are - and a part of being happy is having like-minded friends to share good times with. We are quite social, like to laugh and cut up and relax when not at work. We only worry that everyone else is gathering up bibles and heading off to bible study group while we wonder where everyone is and who wants to share some great Texas brisket with us. We'll continue to seriously consider this town. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
reimaginethis and kbg, thank you both so much for great posts/great information. Very much appreciated.

Churches and bars are so contradictive of one another, ha! I do think we lean towards the 'bars' although we're just more of the backyard bbq'ers. We are not drunkards for as much as my posts may illustrate for you...we just want to be sure we are happy where we are - and a part of being happy is having like-minded friends to share good times with. We are quite social, like to laugh and cut up and relax when not at work. We only worry that everyone else is gathering up bibles and heading off to bible study group while we wonder where everyone is and who wants to share some great Texas brisket with us. We'll continue to seriously consider this town. Thanks for your input.
How about a BBQ AND a Bible Study? Physical and spiritual food all at the same time.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 AM

I'm game. I'm also one that goes along with "dont knock it til you try it" and therefore am not opposed to going to church and participating in church activities. Who knows, I might like it :-)

Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 AM
kbg

Yeah, I went to church one time as was appauled when someone fired up a cigarette so I elbowed the person next to me and said "Do you believe this guy?" and he said "You make me spill my beer again and I believe I'm going to kick your ass!"

Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
You would have no trouble finding a few acres out in the county if ya really like the backyard bbq/beer thing like i do. Plenty of old houses in the counties surrounding Jackson. USJ students can live anywhere and go there i think. So that wouldnt be a problem. We have alot of what we call "backyard Baptists" here. Dont worry. The biggest problem you will have with them is that they always forget to bring thier own beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee