Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 AM
rlr rlr started this thread

4 posts, read 23,917 times

Advertisements

I was looking at moving to Tennessee. Where should I move?
I need job opportunities (teaching?) or Accounting, good school for my 8-year old daughter, and reasonable living costs. I would like a neighborhood with sidewalks, not just interstate. Help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlr View Post
I need job opportunities (teaching?) or Accounting, good school for my 8-year old daughter, and reasonable living costs. I would like a neighborhood with sidewalks, not just interstate. Help. Thanks.
There are a bunch of us in this forum who would love to help you. But you've got to help us a bit more. Do you want to live in a big city? Small town? What do you consider "reasonable" living costs? Do you want to be near mountains (East Tennessee)? Or would you prefer more flat land (West Tennessee)?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
rlr rlr started this thread

4 posts, read 23,917 times
Default I was looking at moving to Tennessee. Where should I move?

I live in a city with a population of about 14,000 in PA. My daughter attends a Catholic school. The nearest mall is about 45 minutes away. The only places to eat are McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Wendy's (the last two have only opened in the last few years). My rent is currently $495.00/month.

I am looking for a city larger than where I live. I don't want to live in the city, but within a short driving distance. I am looking for rent of about $700.00-$850.00/month. I guess I would prefer less mountains, more flat (I come from the mountains). I am currently a self-employed Accountant, but I am possibly looking to switch to teaching. I am looking for a salary of around $40,000.00 (depending on what I decide to do for a living and the cost of living there). My daughter needs a school for advanced children (public or private). Oh, we have to have a swimming pool available for my daughter. She is also active in karate, dance and gymnastics.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 AM

141 posts, read 981,739 times
Maryville, which is right outside of Knoxville, may be a good choice. The only thing it has that you say you don't want is mountains, but to be honest the mountains are ten miles away from Maryville, as it's in the bottom of a very large valley.

You may also want to look at places near Nashville. Less mountains, pretty much everything else the same. Franklin is a possibility, but the prices may be too high for what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
There is a great Catholic school in Johnson City, called St Mary's. However Washington County schools place by academic level, not just age and we love that school system. JC also is in more of a valley with rolling hills than mountains that are to our North, East and South. Tri-Cities is kind of situated in a horse shoe and protected by the mountains. There is a few public pools both in Johnson City and Kingsport, there are dance studios and Karate places. Rent, you should be able to find a nice house for $700-$800 a month fairly easy.
Hope that helps!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I live in a city with a population of about 14,000 in PA. My daughter attends a Catholic school. The nearest mall is about 45 minutes away. The only places to eat are McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Wendy's (the last two have only opened in the last few years). My rent is currently $495.00/month.

I am looking for a city larger than where I live. I don't want to live in the city, but within a short driving distance. I am looking for rent of about $700.00-$850.00/month. I guess I would prefer less mountains, more flat (I come from the mountains). I am currently a self-employed Accountant, but I am possibly looking to switch to teaching. I am looking for a salary of around $40,000.00 (depending on what I decide to do for a living and the cost of living there). My daughter needs a school for advanced children (public or private). Oh, we have to have a swimming pool available for my daughter. She is also active in karate, dance and gymnastics.
Cookeville has excellent schools, including one of the state's few gifted elementary school programs and one of only 5 high schools in the state with the International Baccalaureate Program. The public schools are so good that there just aren't many private schools except a couple of small church schools. It's hilly in Cookeville but not mountainous.

I sent you a PM, please feel free to ask any other questions. Good luck with your search!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,884 times
Default Think long and hard before relocating

If you are thinking of relocating to Tennessee, you should be willing to live with closed mindedness, ignorance, racism, and animal neglect/cruelty. Religion is one of the most important things to most Tennesseans. No matter how they treat other people and/or animals or what views they have on anything else, if they are practicing or professed Chrisitians, they are seen as good people. If you don't attend church, you will be hounded to do so and looked down upon if you don't.

Like it or not Tennesseans, this is the truth.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open2Ideas View Post
If you are thinking of relocating to Tennessee, you should be willing to live with closed mindedness, ignorance, racism, and animal neglect/cruelty. Religion is one of the most important things to most Tennesseans. No matter how they treat other people and/or animals or what views they have on anything else, if they are practicing or professed Chrisitians, they are seen as good people. If you don't attend church, you will be hounded to do so and looked down upon if you don't.

Like it or not Tennesseans, this is the truth.
That is, of course, absurd.

But if Tennessee is as bad as you say, then where would you suggest that people live?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,141 times
Quote:

Considering the things you mentioned, I think Johnson City, Kingsport or Bristol, TN would be ideal for you. Everything you're looking for can be found here along with a milder climate than PA.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Considering the things you mentioned, I think Johnson City, Kingsport or Bristol, TN would be ideal for you. Everything you're looking for can be found here along with a milder climate than PA.
RLR doesn't want mountains, so I think Middle Tennessee would be more fitting. But definitely avoid West Tennessee unless you just happen to like poverty and crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee