Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM

69 posts, read 254,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmheart View Post
Have you ever been to the Detroit, mich. area? the attitude is very contagious! you don't dare ever trust anyone in this state! I've lived here my whole life and had to learn the hard way! That's why I'm moving!
Just moved to the Tri-Cities area (NE TN) and love it. I don't mean to generalize, and know that not all people in MI are rude, short-tempered, hateful, & would just as soon see you dead, but many are. Am I right, Michiganders? This explains, in addition to the lack of jobs in MI, the influx of people from MI.

The ones on this forum are the nice ones who escaped the nightmare. Trust me, there are nice Michiganders. And I am one, because I was raised in TN until I was eight yrs old. My father, who was from here, moved us North. I came HOME recently, and will never leave again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hate to say this, but Fort Myers, FL was full of these folks. I would rather die than have to live among them, again. Sounds over-the-top, but true.

They were self-centered but also extremely rude and mean.

What could make an entire demographic behave this way? Does anyone have any insight? I would dearly love to know.

We are all extras in their movie.
I would say MONEY is the reason. Sometimes big monied people have this sense of entitlement. They think everyone works for them personally. They bring their attitude with them everywhere they go!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
Just moved to the Tri-Cities area (NE TN) and love it. I don't mean to generalize, and know that not all people in MI are rude, short-tempered, hateful, & would just as soon see you dead, but many are. Am I right, Michiganders? This explains, in addition to the lack of jobs in MI, the influx of people from MI.

The ones on this forum are the nice ones who escaped the nightmare. Trust me, there are nice Michiganders. And I am one, because I was raised in TN until I was eight yrs old. My father, who was from here, moved us North. I came HOME recently, and will never leave again.
Peggy, I can't agree with you more. I grew up in a northern suburb of Detroit. When I came to Wisconsin for college in '88 I couldn't believe the difference. Sooooomany people in Michigan are stuck-up, distrustful, and mean. I know you can't make generalizations but I think nice Michiganders who move never look back. I will never move back to Michigan.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Peggy, I can't agree with you more. I grew up in a northern suburb of Detroit. When I came to Wisconsin for college in '88 I couldn't believe the difference. Sooooomany people in Michigan are stuck-up, distrustful, and mean. I know you can't make generalizations but I think nice Michiganders who move never look back. I will never move back to Michigan.
Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. If it's any consolation, the nice ones stay here and the mean ones move away!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM

176 posts, read 800,055 times
We have many people in our church who have moved here from Michigan. Michigan seems to be one of the main states from which people are emigrating to Tennessee. Other big states are CA, FL, WI, IL, NC and to a lesser extent the Northeast states. We moved here a little over 4 years ago from NY State (not NY City) and love it. We'd never go back.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM

119 posts, read 396,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrockmoore View Post
Yes, this is true of a minority of Michigan people, mainly those who worked for General Motors. But the majority of Michiganders do not fit this description! They are hard-working, kind people, average like most of the US. In the major cities such as Flint and Detroit you do see alot of angry people with attitudes, but that is because as GM pulls out more and more jobs, and more and more people become unemployed, lose their homes, etc., and those losses are reflected in their attitudes. The generalization of your statement, assuming that all Michiganders are selfish and mean, is so very unfair and untrue. You are basing your opinions on a small percentage of people and spouting them here. My husband and I moved from Flint, MI to Maryville, TN. When we go into Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg, we could say very much the same thing about the people there. We wouldn't, however, because there are always bad apples in every bunch, but we don't judge the bunch by the bad apples!
Well said! I totally agree. There are good people everywhere, and rude people everywhere. To focus so much on one specific area is ludicrous. I live and shop in and also north of Ft. Myers and have no clue what she's talking about. I NEVER see people ramming into people in Wal Mart. Also, in order to have a good neighbor you have to BE a good neighbor.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQFL View Post
Well said! I totally agree. There are good people everywhere, and rude people everywhere. To focus so much on one specific area is ludicrous. I live and shop in and also north of Ft. Myers and have no clue what she's talking about. I NEVER see people ramming into people in Wal Mart. Also, in order to have a good neighbor you have to BE a good neighbor.
Try shopping at Cypress Lake Fort Myers Walmart during season.

Maybe you need to live her for awhile to see the difference.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Jbrockmoore and SusieQFl, I do agree with you both.

Any place that you go to, in the states or abroad, you are going to mix with some cranky, rude people. But, you will also be fortunate to meet some of the nicest people in the world.

I lived in MI for 16, almost 17, years. I could never compare the level of kindness of people that I had to deal with in schools, stores, doctors' offices, or neighborhoods with the kindness of people I have met in PA, MA, SC, or GA. There are good, fine people everywhere just as there are people who are maladjusted everywhere.

Some very depressed areas that are undergoing job loss and plunging housing prices like the Detroit area and some areas of FL are definitely going to see folks with their tension wires strung about as tight as they can get. But, under equal circumstances, there are wonderful, kind and giving people in MI, just as there are in TN.

We are very quick to judge an entire area sometimes because of our own personal bad experience in that area. An individual does not make a neighborhood, much less a state.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM

16 posts, read 55,182 times
Post Some cranky michiganders

We are moving down to Madisonville on Apr 22 from Michigan, and cannot wait to do so. I consider myself a nice person, but you find some real "cranky" winners coming out of Grand Rapids. That's why everytime we've moved, it's always been to someplace in the country where you have few neighbors and can keep to yourself. When my daughter & I were down in TN over Easter house-hunting, we could not believe how friendly and helpful everybody was. But no matter where you go, you're bound to find a mix of people, cranky & otherwise. (For the week we were in TN, I must admit I did not run across 1 cranky person). One thing for sure, I'm not even down there yet, but once down there I will never go back to MI (unless my mom gets sick, then I would probably want to move her down to TN!) Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
my family moved from West Michigan to Middle Tennessee in 1994. we didn't have much choice in the matter because my dad worked for GM. Yes, we were obviously a lazy, unionized, entitlement-seeking General Motors family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee