Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times

Advertisements

Starting July 1st, you will no longer be able to buy a novelty lighter here in Tennessee. This comes after a NewsChannel 5 investigation exposed the dangers earlier this year of these lighters that often look just like toys.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Statewide Ban Takes Effect July 1

Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 AM

103 posts, read 335,425 times
Another stupid ban from our moronic legislators. Why don't they just ban everything that people like to do and be done with it?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,417,837 times
Good grief, don't liberals have anything better to do? Even in beautiful TN? Very discouraging, the more you hear about this sort of thing.

What's next, banning sharp knives?

Swimming pools?

Nonsense.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM

427 posts, read 1,309,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Good grief, don't liberals have anything better to do? Even in beautiful TN? Very discouraging, the more you hear about this sort of thing.
Liberals?

A Republican sponsored the Senate bill, and plenty of Republicans voted for it. The State Fire Marshall's Office supported it, as well.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,269,172 times
Yeah, I don't much think it's a liberal thing. Granted, we have a Democratic governor, but this is a blood red state. (80% for amendment 1, anyone?)

Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Well, bans like this are liberal behavior in my opinion. I am aware that TN is traditionally red but more and more is being infiltrated, seems to me at least...in NJ bans like this are considered all the time--

every time someone gets hurt they decide to forgo personal responsibility for the incident, and blame the item, often attempting to ban it.

(For instance, it recently happened when a child entangled himself in those fake spider webs and nearly suffocated; they tried to ban those.)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well, bans like this are liberal behavior in my opinion. I am aware that TN is traditionally red but more and more is being infiltrated, seems to me at least...in NJ bans like this are considered all the time--

every time someone gets hurt they decide to forgo personal responsibility for the incident, and blame the item, often attempting to ban it.

(For instance, it recently happened when a child entangled himself in those fake spider webs and nearly suffocated; they tried to ban those.)
"Infiltrated"?!

I never thought of my civil rights attorney partner and my college professor self as "infiltrating" this state. Not to mention my Tennessee native friends who call themselves liberals. I think of them as American citizens who have one of many legitimate political stances.

I'm bowing out of this thread because it's going in a direction that I'd rather not get involved in.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Sorry if it came off wrong (although I suspect maybe it didn't; it just hit a little too close to home for you--sorry if your feelings were hurt).

I'm just a fan of personal accountability rather than blaming a product when something bad happens.

You can call me a nasty old conservative redneck if you'd like...I can take it.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,171,720 times
poorly supervised children were starting fires with "non-novelty" lighters and with matches for decades before lighters were even invented.

There is no subsitute for parental supervision, control and discipline.

The government makes a poor substitute for parents, IMHO

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry if it came off wrong (although I suspect maybe it didn't; it just hit a little too close to home for you--sorry if your feelings were hurt).

I'm just a fan of personal accountability rather than blaming a product when something bad happens.

You can call me a nasty old conservative redneck if you'd like...I can take it.
I don't call people names based on their political beliefs. I may disagree with them, but we're all in this together.

And please don't assume what I'm feeling -- it didn't "hit a little too close to home." If you don't want to apologize, then don't.

Given the political climate in Tennessee, I have to have much thicker skin than a "conservative redneck." On top of my liberalism, I'm not a Christian, and I went to Vermont to enter into a civil union with my partner. I deal with criticism all the time.

So don't minimize this into an issue of "hurt feelings." We're all grown-ups here, but there are all kinds of people participating in these forums. It's important to be aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee