Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Well my friends, Lisa&Mike, your shed shure looks reel nice & reel neat, but imho, i woodn't paint the inside of my shed. I love the natural wood grain & smells of timber, like (Incense Cedar). jmho...

On the outside of my shed on the T1-11 panels i used a water sealer. I put it up in 1992.

Enjoy a Wonderful Evenin'...
Hi Hawk. Believe it or not the shed does smell like wood. Yup...I love that smell.

OK...next up....I have to finish the overdue shed story

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Finishing The Shed

Good morning!!! Mike and I have been really busy working and also planning new projects Finally I am back to finish our shed story. I am very happy to be able to use a very clean building

Since the shed door is a little high we decide to build a box step using some of of our leftover wood

First we cut four pressure treated boards down.

Then Mike screws the base together.

And the top boards go on.

And now we have an easy step for the doorway.

Next up we have to work on the gaps under the eaves of the shed. We start off by using some old pieces of trim so we can install the J channel. Putting up the old trim.

Mike nailing on the trim.

Mike nailing the J channel.

Now it's time to install the soffit. First we have to cut it down to fit. The soffit comes in ten foot sections. We need to cut it down to about 12 inches for each section. It's a tedious job

Mike cutting the soffit with snips.

Mike starting to install the soffit.

I cut.

While Mike installs.

Now onto the other side. Mike starts off by installing trim. Then he screws in the J channel.

Then the soffits.

Yay...it's the last soffit to go up.

Before we paint we have to make sure the building is completely sealed.

Mike starts filling in any gaps with caulk.

Of course we also have to finish the top on front of the building.

We get that enclosed and now it's time to paint Of course I have to do the trim work. I start first since it takes me longer.

Mike starts rolling the side.

And we are done with the wood part of the shed

We really have to something about that hideous metal door and metal building

Mike adding a piece of wood to fill in the gap between the back of the truss and the metal building.

Mike installing the fascia.

Now it's the to work on the front metal door. Mike spent a lot of time prepping this.

First he sands it.

Then fills in the dents with filler.

He lets that dry, sands it down and has to fill it again.

We repeat that process until we think it is smooth enough to paint.

Time to paint the door. We are going to use the sprayer this time for a better paint job over the handles and all the nooks and crannies.

Mike prepping the spray painter.

And starting to spray.

And he is almost done. Buy buy ugly door

We still have to finish painting the back side of the metal building but for now we are done with the shed

We went from this.

To this.

And we are very happy with it.

I hope you all enjoyed our shed story. Have a wonderful week....and if we get involved in more large projects I all share.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM

72,515 posts, read 18,245,371 times
Beautiful project on the shed! so detailed! Two of you really make a great team!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,147,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Awesome Thanks! I showed him the pics and he asked when... lol.. So I might have some soon.. yaay, for organized garage!
I forgot to ask if I may, how deep did you measure the shelves?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
Beautiful project on the shed! so detailed! Two of you really make a great team!
Thanks. I like the mine and Lisa team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
I forgot to ask if I may, how deep did you measure the shelves?
They are 24 inches deep.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 AM

82 posts, read 416,773 times
Lisa - thank you for sharing! The shed looks GREAT !!!!

Looking forward to your next project. Love reading about your ingenuity and can find a "fix" for any of the problems you encounter in your "off the grid" lifestyle!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Sweet Pea View Post
Lisa - thank you for sharing! The shed looks GREAT !!!!

Looking forward to your next project. Love reading about your ingenuity and can find a "fix" for any of the problems you encounter in your "off the grid" lifestyle!

Thank you so much. We are not perfect, lol, but we should get points for effort

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,482,725 times
Yes, this thread would be a great contribution to the House and/or Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness portions of City-Data!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,854,011 times
Looks great Lisa & Mike!!
Got a question for ya Lisa, may I borrow Mike? LOL
Just a small project screening in my patio!!!
Have a great Memorial Day week-end!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,048 times
Lisa and Mike,
I found your forum last year and have enjoyed it very much. I will retire a second time in 10 years and hope to head to the Tennessee Mountains, I have started researching the different towns and communities in Eastern Tennessee to see what out of the way place would provide the best area to live in. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the information and insight on living off the grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee