Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 PM

219 posts, read 811,514 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I will be taking a trip to TN in June or early July and HIGHLY considering moving there!

I am going to visit Cookeville for sure. Any other places you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Hey everyone!

I will be taking a trip to TN in June or early July and HIGHLY considering moving there!

What are you looking for, and why Cookeville?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM

1,326 posts, read 4,704,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Hey everyone!

Here are some links that will take you to previous posts related to Cookeville.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ookeville.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...e-website.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...iving-low.html

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM

219 posts, read 811,514 times
Hi there. You asked me what I was looking for and why Cookeville in my post.

I have heard so many good things about Cookeville so I am going to go check it out to see how I feel about it. That's about it.

As to what I am looking for. I want an area with a low rate of violent crime, decent schools, clean air, clean water, beautiful scenery and an area that will except my hispanic wife. She is born and raised in USA..not an illegal.

I have heard rumors that there are MANY water issues in TN. That you should not eat very many fish from certain lakes, that you should not swim in certain lakes, that you should not drink the water and high cancer rates due to nasty chemicals in certain water supplies. That really does scare me quite a bit. NO WAY can I put my family at risk.

What can you tell me about TN. Please be blunt and totally honest.

Thanks
John

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
I suspect your fears about the lakes are somewhat overdone; however, I also suspect that there's problems with many lakes in the US that are fed by river systems or serve as impounds for large areas. We put so many chemicals into the land and air that it's got to have an effect on the water systems. I don't claim to be an expect on the subject however.

You might want to contact the Cumberland River Compact. This is a private group concerned with the water quality of the Cumberland River. They might also have some information on the lakes in the state, or be able to put you in contact with someone who has more information on the subject and who is unbiased. They are friendly folks and would probably be willing to help you if they can; I used to be a member of their group.

Good luck with whatever answers you come up with, or whatever you decide.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,406,263 times
If you're coming all this way, you really should look at the Tri-Cities region with it's three main cities: Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City. Take a drive through the smaller towns too, particularly Jonesborough and Elizabethton, and the smaller municipalities like Gray, Bluff City and Piney Flats. Tri-cities has its own "flavor". Progressive, yet...old fashioned still in some places and ways. There's still that sense of "manners" and human kindness there, and the mountain/country views are just everywhere you go. AND great shopping and restaurants to boot. If we didn't have a place in Piney Flats, though, I'd definitely say Cookeville would be my next choice. Have fun with the journey. Ain't life grand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee