Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,557,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Knoxville will grow steadily, but not be a boom town. Reason why is we tend to be fat and ugly and common. Which is good IMO. The city parking garages are free on evenings and weekends so everyone can come enjoy downtown. Everyone, and not just the beautiful people.
I don't know of one city that requires looks be evaluated for entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post

Knoxville has an inherent problem in that it is a suburban "city". As such it does not have much of a downtown.
Knoxville has a fabulous downtown, it's light-years away from what I first laid eyes on 12 years ago. Is it New York City? No, but it packed full of thriving businesses and because they are running out of room, the city center is spilling north, south and even a bit to the east now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My comment also came from renting apts in a trendy area. I see about a $100 premium (20% or so) for the places with beautiful neighbors.
Where are the beautiful people that command higher rental prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 PM

363 posts, read 487,193 times
Maybe it's not so much about beautiful people as it is healthy people. According to this article, we were rated 10th fattest city in America this year and 12th last year. Study: Knoxville is the 10th fattest city in America

Something like that signals that perhaps the consumers don't care much about exercise or healthy eating. This could include more gyms, sidewalks, places to bike safely, sports, fresh produce. I refuse to believe it's our lack of access to medical facilities and doctors. They are everywhere here! Hospitals are pretty much right on top of each other. But perhaps it might be the quality of care or access to insurance. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee