Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,770,411 times

Advertisements

Tennessee and Blount County saw significant increases in foreign-born population during the first five years of the 21st century, the latest census statistics show.

Nationally, Tennessee had the third-highest increase in the nation of foreign-born population between 2000 and 2005, according to the Migration Policy Institute. During that period, the state’s foreign-born population increased from 156,488 to 223,118 — an increase of 43 percent.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article...NEWS/150577339
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 4,721,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Tennessee and Blount County saw significant increases in foreign-born population during the first five years of the 21st century, the latest census statistics show.

Nationally, Tennessee had the third-highest increase in the nation of foreign-born population between 2000 and 2005, according to the Migration Policy Institute. During that period, the state’s foreign-born population increased from 156,488 to 223,118 — an increase of 43 percent.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article...NEWS/150577339
If they were LEGAL immigrants, I don't have a problem with that.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,168,866 times
Default I think these numbers would reflect "legal" only foreign-borns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
If they were LEGAL immigrants, I don't have a problem with that.
The article stated that the number reflected the Latinos and other immigrants who were willing to be counted. That would indicate to me that this number represented all LEGAL IMMIGRANTS because the illegals certainly wouldn't broadcast their presence.

I hope that these legal and counted additions to the Knoxville area will be accepted for their contributions to the community and not discriminated against because they are foreign born.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 AM

2,004 posts, read 6,854,783 times
Well why not? They can get help with housing,schools,medical,don't need auto insurance,probably can get money from the government. And can have all the kids they want to.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM

36,953 posts, read 31,213,254 times
Well all yuns wanting to relocate to beautiful east TN, there is someone just waiting to build your dream home.

Quote:
90 percent of the local construction workers are Hispanic or Latino.
Better brush up on your spanish tho!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,432,159 times
Today's illegal immigrants don't have much fear of being deported. They shout it loud here in NJ "We have rights! We are people! People are not illegal!"

I think that with a large influx like that, unless there's been a sudden change in immigration laws at the border, that these are indeed illegals...who come here and have a child. Then by current law, that child can sponsor family members to come here and they're considered legal. So one pregnant illegal begets 9 or 10 sorta-legals.

I have nothing against immigrants.

But doggone it, I wish the government would allow the border agents, police, and INS to do their job--and I wish the immigrants who come here claiming they want to be American would act that way.

Our sovereignty is at risk now and this will only get worse.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM

15,075 posts, read 9,956,102 times
This is funny and sobering at the same time....

9.5% of all people born in Mexico now reside in the US.... Jay Leno added: "the rest will be here by tomorrow".

Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 PM

185 posts, read 703,731 times
In Robertson county Springfield Electrolux Home Products plant is firing all workers with false documentation. So far they have fired 170 in 2 days time. Thats a lot of illegals for a small town. Can you imagine how many are in the large cities. Electrolux is Springfields largest employer with 3000 employees. There have been 2 arrest made for selling false birth certificates and SS cards.
I have nothing against immigrants as long as they are legal. After all that is what this country was built on.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 AM

849 posts, read 2,964,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post
In Robertson county Springfield Electrolux Home Products plant is firing all workers with false documentation. So far they have fired 170 in 2 days time. Thats a lot of illegals for a small town. Can you imagine how many are in the large cities. Electrolux is Springfields largest employer with 3000 employees. There have been 2 arrest made for selling false birth certificates and SS cards.
I have nothing against immigrants as long as they are legal. After all that is what this country was built on.
I've been through that a couple of times where I am employed though it has now been several years and the control is much tighter. It's very sad, because many of these folks are the most pleasant, appreciative, and hardest workers I have been around. To see them lose their jobs, familiy's and dreams is tough.

Rainna - Loved your last line. How indeed did we all get here in the first place? A few of our great great grandparents were the same illegals, eh? Well, probably not illegal at the time...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM

36,953 posts, read 31,213,254 times
Is the company doing this on their own? I wish our Tyson plant would so something about the illegals there.

Quote:
A few of our great great grandparents were the same illegals, eh? Well, probably not illegal at the time
No. they came thru Ellis Island, legally. America welcomes LEGAL immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee