Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM

192 posts, read 348,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I can't speak for the poster this is a question for, but I want to chime in on the issue. In many rural counties there just aren't a lot of jobs. People farm but there isn't much industry, corporations, or retail. People can move to areas with jobs or sometimes make long commutes, but there is often not much available close to home - certainly not "big money" opportunities. This is what causes the hopelessness for a lot of young adults. Many don't go to college though some do go to trade schools of some kind. There is also a widespread problem of the illegal sale of prescription drugs (mainly painkillers) and meth labs in rural areas (cities too). Sadly some see this as a good alternative to unemployment.
Maybe Im wrong, but looking at East Tennessee, I see apartments for 350 a month. If my husband got a minimum wage job, we didnt have a car payment, no cable, and no cell phone. He would be able to support me and my daughter. Reading things like this scares me because that is what I am hoping for. Maybe with a big family, a mortgage, car payment and other expenses I could see the struggle. Is this the option for making a lot of money vs making sacrifices and getting a job. Are there no jobs in East Tennessee? The tri cities area seems like somewhere where my husband should have no trouble finding something. I know Im talking more about personal issues than the issue as a whole and I know the economy is bad right now, it just seems like its not as bad as people make it. For instance, how studies say it costs a half million dollars to raise a child. Or when I saw something that said Augusta, Georgia is one of the only places you can survive on $40,000 a year. Or a story about 2 adults with full time jobs that are homeless. I know for a FACT that those things are not true, and there is more to the story of the homeless people. When I crunch the numbers it seems more than possible. Im just confused is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
The cost of child-raising study by the USDA takes into account a lot of factors that many folks do not think of. For example, it gets cheaper the more kids you have because, with one kid, you are buying everything new, whereas with multiple kids they can share clothes, toys, even bedrooms.

Housing is the single-largest expenditure, and with housing you usually get what you pay for. Just because you can get an apartment for $350 doesn't mean you will want to live there.
The next biggest expenses are child care/school and food. How old is your daughter?

As for your life here:

Do you have a vehicle? How will he get to that job?

Will you work also? What would be your day-care option then?

Health care expenses have doubled over the past two decades. What is your contingency plan if any of you has medical expenses?

Do you really want to live with no cell phone?

I honestly am not trying to be a downer, but I have worked with families who end up homeless like the ones you mentioned. The kind of situation you are describing, moving here with basically no back-up plan, is one way that many of them ended up homeless. I just want to be sure you know what you are doing.

Maybe your husband could move out ahead of you, secure a job, then send for you and your daughter.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The cost of child-raising study by the USDA takes into account a lot of factors that many folks do not think of. For example, it gets cheaper the more kids you have because, with one kid, you are buying everything new, whereas with multiple kids they can share clothes, toys, even bedrooms.

Housing is the single-largest expenditure, and with housing you usually get what you pay for. Just because you can get an apartment for $350 doesn't mean you will want to live there.
The next biggest expenses are child care/school and food. How old is your daughter?

As for your life here:

Do you have a vehicle? How will he get to that job?

Will you work also? What would be your day-care option then?

Health care expenses have doubled over the past two decades. What is your contingency plan if any of you has medical expenses?

Do you really want to live with no cell phone?

I honestly am not trying to be a downer, but I have worked with families who end up homeless like the ones you mentioned. The kind of situation you are describing, moving here with basically no back-up plan, is one way that many of them ended up homeless. I just want to be sure you know what you are doing.

Maybe your husband could move out ahead of you, secure a job, then send for you and your daughter.
It seems like all apartments in the area are around that price. You tell me, is this a nice neighborhood? is there a reason this is the price it is? 142 Spears
I wont be working since we will probably break even with me working and paying for daycare. I am on my sisters cell phone plan and it is 15 dollars a month for me, so Ill probably keep it :P I am perfectly fine living without cable and we own our car. So really the only expenses will be apartment and food. My daughter is 7 months. So i suppose clothes are diapers are another expense. We were thinking of saving up the money to survive for 6 months without a job. If he absolutely cant find anything in that time, we have friends in north georgia and also in memphis we could stay with, or family that would help. Maybe that is the difference, we have people to fall back on if our plan fails. By the way, dont worry about being a downer, you are definitely not. Its important I think of everything and stay realistic.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM

I would go on Google Maps, enter the address and "drive" around that neighborhood using Street View. You can't go right up to that apartment itself, but you can scan the streets all around it.

Having a car will be essential. It looks like a nice old rural "neighborhood," but I don't see any businesses nearby where he could work so he will need to drive. Areas like this don't have public transit.

What will you do without a car all day? The area around the apartment doesn't show any major red flags for me, but I don't see stores etc. within walking distance.

Just thinking this through a little, as a mom ...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
It seems like all apartments in the area are around that price. You tell me, is this a nice neighborhood? is there a reason this is the price it is? 142 Spears
I wont be working since we will probably break even with me working and paying for daycare. I am on my sisters cell phone plan and it is 15 dollars a month for me, so Ill probably keep it :P I am perfectly fine living without cable and we own our car. So really the only expenses will be apartment and food. My daughter is 7 months. So i suppose clothes are diapers are another expense. We were thinking of saving up the money to survive for 6 months without a job. If he absolutely cant find anything in that time, we have friends in north georgia and also in memphis we could stay with, or family that would help. Maybe that is the difference, we have people to fall back on if our plan fails. By the way, dont worry about being a downer, you are definitely not. Its important I think of everything and stay realistic.
You are forgetting a few expenses. Utilities for example. It gets cold in the winter and heating bills can be high. We had a mildish winter last year but it got down to the teens at night and some days didn't get above freezing. Sometimes we get a lot of ice and snow - that impacts driving among other things (the climate here is very different from what you are used to). Speaking of driving, you'll need car insurance as it's the law. Also take into consideration that a lot of minimum wage jobs are also part-time, so he might need more than one and finding two with compatible hours that could be difficult. Also bear in mind that minimum wage in TN is less than it is in California. CA is $8 and TN is $7.25 according to the Dept of Labor. There is no state income tax in TN, but Cal state tax on minimum wage earnings is probably zero unless you work a lot of hours and bring your annual wage up.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would go on Google Maps, enter the address and "drive" around that neighborhood using Street View. You can't go right up to that apartment itself, but you can scan the streets all around it.

Having a car will be essential. It looks like a nice old rural "neighborhood," but I don't see any businesses nearby where he could work so he will need to drive. Areas like this don't have public transit.

What will you do without a car all day? The area around the apartment doesn't show any major red flags for me, but I don't see stores etc. within walking distance.

Just thinking this through a little, as a mom ...

I dont have my license anyway. Never got one. So the car thing isnt essential until that happens. Until then we would do what we do here and stock up on things we need on the weekends. Thats a good idea. I will do that Is it weird that a 2 bedroom is that price? I just figured it was because its a little ways from town and that it is kind of a large complex for the area. not much privacy and 350 per unit still gives the owner a good amount of money. I hope Im right.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
I dont have my license anyway. Never got one. So the car thing isnt essential until that happens. Until then we would do what we do here and stock up on things we need on the weekends. Thats a good idea. I will do that Is it weird that a 2 bedroom is that price? I just figured it was because its a little ways from town and that it is kind of a large complex for the area. not much privacy and 350 per unit still gives the owner a good amount of money. I hope Im right.
Based on what I saw on Google maps, it is two small apartment buildings surrounded by older homes.

I guess what I'm saying is if you don't work and you don't drive, and your child is still an infant, what will you do all day while your husband is at work? Will you just sit in the apartment with no cable and likely no internet? I really want you to picture your life on a daily basis.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM

I was hoping it would be a nice place to just sit out in the yard and watch her play. (she will be older when we move) Really I dont do anything here, I sit inside and play with her with the TV off, I just wish I could do the same thing outside. Only other thing I do is come on this site, but once I move I wont need that anymore. I hope to still be able to keep internet, but thats only if we can afford it after my husband finds a job.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM

I see. Believe it or not, internet isn't always available in rural areas here. That's one of those differences that is hard for some people to get used to. It can be really hit or miss.

Hopefully there will be some nice neighbors around.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM

I mean, I really have no idea what I am getting into, but Im stubborn and Ill take that risk. I really appreciate your help and Its definitely things I will think about. Didnt know about the internet thing though, that will be weird for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee