Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM

265 posts, read 509,252 times

Advertisements

Just another question. Does TN have any real gang problems in the rural areas? Where we live near Baltimore, we have so many gangs and gang related murders and shootings, drug violence. Even in the county where I live we have lots of them. It seems they have taken over the area the past few years. Never use to be like this in my area. Seems that the police can't even help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I don't know of any gangs at least in the sense you're used to. The rural part of TN I grew up in (Greene County) operated on a good old boy and/or "clan" system and sometimes there were groups that ran drugs. Never a huge deal except in the roughest of the rural areas. In general rural TN is quite safe because violence is among families or acquaintances. Keep your nose clean and you'll be fine.

I doubt you'd ever find your way to rough rural areas, but if you post specifics when you're looking, we could give opinions.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
well im definatly rural, been here almost a year and pleased to report my little section of rural tn is quiet, if theres some serious drug or gang activity going on i havent noticed it...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Just another question. Does TN have any real gang problems in the rural areas? Where we live near Baltimore, we have so many gangs and gang related murders and shootings, drug violence. Even in the county where I live we have lots of them. It seems they have taken over the area the past few years. Never use to be like this in my area. Seems that the police can't even help.
Here's a gang map of Tennessee with a list of gangs:

Bios | Gangs of Tennessee | Tennessean

You click on the gang, it tells you in which counties they are located and lights up the county on the map.

Let's take 2 gangs known throughout the US:

Read below what it says about them. For example: The Crips

Counties: Located in Anderson, Bradley, Carroll, Carter, Coffee, Cumberland, Davidson, Fayette, Franklin, Gibson, Giles, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hawkins, Haywood, Jackson, Jefferson, Knox, Lawrence, Lincoln, Madison, Marion, Maury, McMinn, Monroe, Montgomery, Rutherford, Shelby, Sullivan, Tipton, Warren, Washington

Began to appear in Tennessee in the 1980s after originating in Los Angeles in the 1960s. In Tennessee, they are disorganized and do not have many ties extending across the state or across county lines.

Now compare that to MS-13:

Located in Davidson, Decatur, Greene, Hamilton, Hawkins, Jackson, Knox, Loudon, Madison, Maury, Monroe, Polk, Roane, Rutherford, Sequatchie, Shelby, Wilson

Appeared in Tennessee in the 1990s after originating in California in the 1980s. Considered to be the most organized gang in the state, with leaders reporting to El Salvador.

So, since MS-13 (Mara Salvatrucha) is supposed to be the most organized gang in the state, you might want to do research on the Google News page.

I know Baltimore and I know Glen Burnie and outside of Tennessee's big cities, if gangs are a problem, I'm not hearing about it.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
In most of rural Tennessee, you'll neither see nor hear any evidence of gang activity. We have gangs in the Tri-Cities, which is a mix of urban and rural areas, but they are largely invisible to law-abiding citizens. Most folks here are completely oblivious to the problem because their lives are not impacted in any way by gang-related crimes.

Gang activity prevalent in Tri-Cities | WJHL.com

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says rural gangs are spreading | timesfreepress.com

Big Time Gangs Invade Small Town Tennessee | WPTY-TV

Gang crime on rise in small Tennessee cities : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Planting seeds, to weeding growing gang threat out of TN cities - WRCBtv.com

New unit to fight gang crime in West Tennessee - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the links.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Yea! You really gotta watch out for those roving gangs of cow tipping Mennonites!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
heck forget the mennonites...the roving gang of COWS themselvescoul cause issues! lol.

biggest gang issues ive see are gangs of armadillos committing mass suicide on rt45 LOL!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Lol

Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM

231 posts, read 595,259 times
Default Gangs in Tn and the rural areas

The larger Cities have gang problems as is common in all such populated areas in the US. I live in rural Tn. in a pretty remote area and we have no gang problems unless you count the extended family of Rednecks that klive down the road apiece. Course they're too lazy to cause anyone a problem. Besides they're really a pretty good bunch of folks. The area I live in, folks just wouldn't put up with a gang-they would do well to ride shy of here given the attitude of the majority of residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee