Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 16,301 times

Advertisements

I start a new job in Morristown this August and am trying to decide on whether to live in Morristown or commute from Greeneville. The school where my child will attend (middle school, then later high school) is the most important deciding factor for me. The next factor is the neighborhood. I like country areas but can be comfortable in suburban; I am definitely not into big cities.

Currently, I live in Fall Branch, TN. I moved here from south Texas 1.5 years ago. I like Fall Branch and the surrounding areas but need to move for work. I've seen a little of Greeneville and like the rolling green hills more than the denser forest in which I live...but I can't remember exactly where I was in Greeneville when I saw that. I really like the Greeneville City Schools as they seem to have academic excellence. If I lived there, I would have a 42 minute commute to work in Morristown.

The schools in Morristown which seem to have the highest academic scores are West View Middle School and Morristown West High School. However, I drove there yesterday to look for a house to rent and both schools seemed to be in bad neighborhoods. The street the middle school is on seemed to be a trailer park; and, the street the high school is on is lined with section 8 housing. Were the "bad" areas just in the immediate vicinity of the schools? Does it get better a little further from the schools? Are there nicer areas that feed into those schools. It seems that the rest of the schools in Morristown have low scores. Are there better schools that I am overlooking?

I've read on here that the "best" areas are on the west end toward Talbot - but I'm not really sure where that's at or how to get there. I will be looking to rent a house for between $900-$1300 a month - will that get a nice area with good schools? Again, my primary concern is education.

Thanks in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Greeneville is more desirable than Morristown, but neither area is very good. Morristown's mall has had a lot of growing vacancies over the past couple of years and it's nowhere near as nice as it was as late 2006 or 2007.

Morristown has been hit hard the last few years between the recession and the influx of illegal immigrants. The illegals have hit Morristown at least as hard if not harder than any other community east of Knoxville. The long term trend for Morristown is decline, not improvement. Morristown is still a long haul from Knoxville or the Tri-Cities, and honestly, there isn't much there. It's kind of in a no man's land with Cocke County being close by as well. Greeneville has also been severely battered by the recent economic downturn (around 15% unemployment last I heard), but it also doesn't have the illegal problem and is closer to a larger metro area. I have heard some good things about the Greeneville City Schools, but the farther you get out in the country, academics generally become worse.

Honestly, if you're willing to commute 42 miles, I'd look into Dandridge, Jefferson City, or even Strawberry Plains. I'd rather be closer to Knoxville than Greeneville. Your budget should allow you to get a reasonably nice place anywhere in east TN. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Thank you for a response. Honestly, immigration doesn't bother me; my main concern is academics. I will check out the other 3 areas you mentioned. Take care.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM

13 posts, read 38,189 times
I recommend Greeneville over Morristown. Morristown has slightly more to offer, but I think most people would agree that Greeneville is a nicer town overall.

The Greeneville City Schools are very good, and they are constantly working hard and spending money to improve them.

Also, there are many people in Greeneville who commute to Morristown everyday for work or school (going to Walters State). So, that drive isn’t too bad. I guess it just depends on how far you want to drive.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTN View Post
I recommend Greeneville over Morristown. Morristown has slightly more to offer, but I think most people would agree that Greeneville is a nicer town overall.

The Greeneville City Schools are very good, and they are constantly working hard and spending money to improve them.

Also, there are many people in Greeneville who commute to Morristown everyday for work or school (going to Walters State). So, that drive isn’t too bad. I guess it just depends on how far you want to drive.
I'm biased, but I agree. Greeneville is a nicer town overall than Morristown.

Morristown West is a good school, as is Greeneville High. The difference is probably not really noticeable.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 23,157 times
It's always helpful to check out the local government and get a feel for whether or not this is important to you. You can look for a town's website, various blogs about the area, etc. Also, take a look at the local newspaper and see if they publish letters to the editor. If you want to have a voice in your local community, find out if there is an outlet for this, wherever you want to move.

Last edited by JMT; 06-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: No need to apologize. No one else can see that you had a previous post which was deleted.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Thank you for your insights. I have been driving to Morristown (from Fall Branch) a couple of days per week for training and the drive is already getting to me; so I am leaning more toward living in Morristown. I've been driving through Greeneville to check out housing and do find it more beautiful - but not sure if my old bones are up to the commute. I have to consider not just my commute to work, but also driving my son to and from school.

That said, I'm thinking I should find something like an apartment with a short-term lease in west Morristown. This will give me time to look around for long-term, nicer housing/neighborhoods. I've looked up apartments west of Andrew Johnson Hwy, nearer to the lake, but none seem to have websites or pics. Can anyone recommend good apartments in a nice area of west Morristown?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 23,157 times
Have you checked the local newspaper: citizentribune.com. Look in the classifieds section to find realtor names and rental ads. Apartment housing is scattered throughout Morristown. Best to spend a couple of weekends here if you can and meet with a realtor to show you around.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM

57 posts, read 245,350 times
I've been living in Morristown for 46 years, my sons went to Alpha, Westview, and West High and I think they received a good education. I grew up on the east side but have been living on the west side since 1983. I prefer west side because of schools, shopping, and subdivisions. I think Morristown is headed in the right direction and the schools are good. You're 35 miles from Knoxville, and 45 miles from Johnson City. You have Cherokee Lake to the north and Douglas Lake to the south. That's one thing Greeneville doesn't offer but if you're not a lake person, I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising is not permitted

Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM

101 posts, read 325,443 times
Drive around West Morristown/Alpha/Talbot area, a lot of people don't put ads in the paper. Some duplex's up Kidwell's Ridge Rd are nice, owners good people. 2 bed 2 bath with garage. Probably a few nice houses in the price range you're looking at also.

Lived in Morristown for about a year, moved there for work reasons and moved out for work reasons, but otherwise would rather have stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee