Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,995 times

Advertisements

From what I have seen while visiting Scott Co. has more shopping, restaurants than the other two. Morgan Co. is closer more convenient to Knoxville or Oak Ridge if you have to commute or for more in depth medical care. Is there any comments about the difference in the general quality of life between the three countys? What about Allardt or Armathwaite I think they seem like nice towns? All comments are welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
From what I have seen while visiting Scott Co. has more shopping, restaurants than the other two. Morgan Co. is closer more convenient to Knoxville or Oak Ridge if you have to commute or for more in depth medical care. Is there any comments about the difference in the general quality of life between the three countys? What about Allardt or Armathwaite I think they seem like nice towns? All comments are welcome and appreciated.
Allardt has a large horse farm community and has very low property taxes. It's a bit more convenient to Crossville as it is a straight drive south on the highway.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,810,621 times
FWIW, Scott County has the state's highest unemployment rate, currently at 18.6%. This article from last August paints a pretty bleak picture: Scott County residents may face moving due to unemployment

In Fentress County, Armathwaite is considered a "populated place" rather than a town; you'd drive right through w/o realizing it. Allardt is extremely small w/ 674 residents and as you'd imagine, few amenities. Of course, if you're looking for someplace that's truly rural, either might suit you just fine.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
I was born and raised in Fentress. The area is very poverty stricken. And the walmart has put most of the grocery stores out of business. They now have a save-a-lot and walmart in Jamestown only. My mother in law still lives there and drives to Cookeville for her shopping and occasionally Crossville. However a popular grocery store in Crossville has went out of business..which makes her come to Cookeville more often. A lot of people in Fentress are trying to get out of that area because of the isolation and there is town discord right now with the leadership and raising property taxes 50 %. If you want a mini city area, that has plenty of shopping but you are not stuck in a "city life" then consider Putnam. I live about 5 minutes from a shopping mall and I have a farm next door with geese flying over a pond. I have a huge backyard for my dogs...sometimes I feel like I am almost back home in Jamestown with the country "look" out here. But then I can get in my car and shop at Kohls and TJMax etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:

What exactly do you mean by quality of life?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM

By quality of life I mean friendly people, decent schools, maybe a nice park.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks I will look into Putnam County have actually been to Monterey before but it's been awhile and don't really remember much.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
By quality of life I mean friendly people, decent schools, maybe a nice park.
What about jobs, high speed internet, city water, garbage pick up, pizza delivery, etc. The areas you are looking at are rural, is this what you are looking for?

Its really kind of hard as well as subjective to compare friendliness among people in different towns. As a rule schools in larger municipalities or higher population counties have better academics just based on the amount of funding they receive. Same goes for city parks. Cookeville and Crossville both have nice sports complexes, IMO, smaller towns have not so nice city parks and there are state parks all over TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee