Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:55 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,332,789 times

Advertisements

Again, my children are in the TN school system in East TN. My oldest son has Auditory Processing Disorder and is on the hyper side, His Dr sees him on what is called a "ADHD" appointment schedule. He could not sit still for circle time when in 1st grade and heck most days has to sit on his leg and "wiggle" during tests. Now he is in High school and doing very well, good grades and involved with sports and clubs in the school. He has NEVER been paddled. I think you are picturing the school systems in TN as something out of the 1800's. We are in the year 2006. NO school will allow any kind of sexual abuse, harassment, touching or anything inappropriate in the schools. I'm sorry but even thinking that is taking this conversation a bit to far. The only kids I have any knowledge of them getting paddled are the kids that everything else has been tried and they are still problem causers. They have a warning system of "marks" ie: talk out in class, get a mark. chewing gum, get a mark. You get 3 marks in a day, you get detention, 2 detention in a week, you get sent to talk to the principle, if the priciple sees you several times a week, yea, there is a problem. But the schools are very good at looking to the root of the problem and trying to help. But sometimes a paddling is the only thing some kids respond to.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,891 times
I don't think I took anything too far. I am only commenting on what I have read from Tennessee teachers have commented on regarding their corporal punishment. And this wasn't in 1800, this was last month, two months ago, and so on. One teacher was even comparing a child to a dog and that she shouldn't have to deal with a child in her classroom acting like an "idiot"!! Some of these teachers were gung ho on the idea.
I am glad to hear that your child had a successful time in schools, but i hope you understand why I feel scared: coming from PA and FL where we wouldn't even think to lay a pinky on the children; and then reading all of the comments from teachers coming from schools who do paddle for apparently any and all reasons; and then having a child that if a teacher doesn't know how to work with him...I could see him being paddled.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 PM

66 posts, read 261,150 times
If , mbmouse ,you were referring to what I said a couple posts ago about corporal punishment being called child abuse/sexual abuse by some people, some really do refer to it in that way. I wasn't saying that.Just repeating other thoughts. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,994 times
I guess it could depend on where the school is. Maybe more rural schools still paddle. I grew up in the Knox County school system and political correctness didn't really start until I was in high school. I never knew anyone who was paddled. In about 4th grade or so we even had a kid who had this big outburst and shoved his desk across the room, hit things, and I think ended up in a fight (I know he had fights later on). He was never paddled. And like I said, it hadn't become so 'taboo' at that point to have corporal punishment.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,955 times
I work at a school in east TN, and it's an individual school decision, whether or not to paddle, even though it may be a distict policy. Often, the high school student chooses to be paddled (3 pops) rather than spend a day in In School Suspension. You sometimes hear the kids bragging about their paddling. (I know - it sounds very weird.)

The principal or asst. principal does it, if it is done. The parent has to sign that form mentioned above if they don't want paddling. That takes care of it.

If your child has something like ADD or ADHD, bring a note from the doctor, asking for accommodations for a '504'. The accommodations are up to the doctor, but you can express your concerns and give input to the doctor. Sometimes a 504 lists things like extra time for tests, no forced public speaking - in agorphobic or tourettes, extra bathroom breaks for overactive bladders, for an older student with a reading disability: tests read aloud. Stuff like that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GrannyLois; 09-04-2006 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Oops - had to fix misspelled word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee