Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,015 times

Advertisements

Hi

Well me and my wife have just returned to the UK after 2 weeks in Oneida TN and we are both seriously thinking of moving out there

Is there anyone from that area who might have some helpful advice?

I work and my wife stays at home with our five month old son and three older kids so I will need to find a decent paying job and somewhere to rent until we can get the deposit for something more permanent, any help greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowshadower View Post
Hi

Well me and my wife have just returned to the UK after 2 weeks in Oneida TN and we are both seriously thinking of moving out there

I work and my wife stays at home with our five month old son and three older kids so I will need to find a decent paying job and somewhere to rent until we can get the deposit for something more permanent, any help greatly appreciated.
I'm glad you enjoyed Tennessee! I'm not sure how many jobs are available in the Oneida area, however. It's a small town in a poor region. What kinds of jobs are you interested in doing?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry I can't help with any advice; I just know where Oneida is, but very little else about the area.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,068 times
Quote:
Hi

What sort of work do you do? What sort of Visa are you planning to obtain to get out here? It is not an easy task to move from the UK to the USA whichever visa you wish to go for? Wish you well though...

Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 AM

I have the benefit of being a US citizen so I dont need a visa but my wife and kids probably will, I'm in talks with the US embassy with regards this at the moment (it takes weeks to get an email back let alone a letter or phone call).
I am currently an administrator, office worker really but the title sounds so much better, but I have a variety of work experience in factrories, warehouses and the like and I'm not afraid to put my back into work if thats whats available.
I guessed Oneida might not be the place for work, my dad lives there which is the main reason for starting out there, as well as the beautiful stretches of woodland carpeted mountains.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
There's a real backlog now on visas and passports from the US State Department. They changed the law earlier this year and (surprise!) weren't really for the deluge of people who now need passports just to go to Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, or Mexico.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I have the benefit of being a US citizen so I dont need a visa but my wife and kids probably will, I'm in talks with the US embassy with regards this at the moment (it takes weeks to get an email back let alone a letter or phone call).
I am currently an administrator, office worker really but the title sounds so much better, but I have a variety of work experience in factrories, warehouses and the like and I'm not afraid to put my back into work if thats whats available.
I guessed Oneida might not be the place for work, my dad lives there which is the main reason for starting out there, as well as the beautiful stretches of woodland carpeted mountains.
Well you couldnt ask for a better visa then!!! It shouldnt take too long to get it. I am on a Green Card and it took me 3 years to get it....

Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Yes I've heard the green cards are getting harder to get. Hopefully I can get my family over there before it becomes impossible.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes I've heard the green cards are getting harder to get. Hopefully I can get my family over there before it becomes impossible.
Well you are a US citzen so it should be ok as you will just need to prove your wife is your wife,. Although I realise there is a lot more to it than just that.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 13,168 times
Smile Oneida, TN

Quote:
Hi

"I have lived in Scott County (Oneida/Huntsville) for over 2 years. It is a wonderful place to live and the school systems are very highly rated. There are some job opportunities in Scott County, but your better chances would be in LaFollette, Clinton, Norris, or Knoxville. The closest would be LaFollette. Good luck and keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee