Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM

211 posts, read 290,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What kind of problem in northern Knoxville? I only hear of more problems in eastern Knoxville. I used to attend a school in southern Knoxville on Island Home.
I thought Magnolia was in North Knox though, although East Knox isn't very nice because of a large homeless population and a lot of crime too. Most of the houses off of broadway are often some sort of government-hud type set-up.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
Good one, Joe.

I like how you think!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:37 PM

44 posts, read 187,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
I thought Magnolia was in North Knox though, although East Knox isn't very nice because of a large homeless population and a lot of crime too. Most of the houses off of broadway are often some sort of government-hud type set-up.
Magnolia is East Knoxville. Broadway runs all the way to Fountain City and then becomes Maynardville Hwy. after it crosses Black Oak Ridge, so you can't say the "Broadway area" has issues. Fountain City is very nice, and can be quite expensive, with old, restored homes. Do a search for "historic North Knoxville" and you'll see how nice a good portion of North Knoxville is.

There are places in every city I wouldn't visit at night.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Magnolia is East Knoxville. Broadway runs all the way to Fountain City and then becomes Maynardville Hwy. after it crosses Black Oak Ridge, so you can't say the "Broadway area" has issues. Fountain City is very nice, and can be quite expensive, with old, restored homes. Do a search for "historic North Knoxville" and you'll see how nice a good portion of North Knoxville is.

There are places in every city I wouldn't visit at night.
That is what I thought but I was confused at first. I have always liked Fountain City, especailly the houses on Iskip (?) Pike - I believe that was where the late Cas Walker resided. I should make plans on visiting Knoxville proper soon - I haven't been back to K'town since 1994.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
Yeah, I remember. But from what I can remember was that the Clinton Hwy area was somewhat rough (redneckish types), but nothing like the eastern part of the city.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:25 PM

44 posts, read 187,201 times
Eh. Clinton Hwy. is OK. Even parts of the Magnolia area are OK. I also like most of South Knoxville.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 AM

47 posts, read 273,241 times
Default Gangs in East Tennessee

Here is a link from today's (10/05/06) Kingsport newspaper:
http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=3684229

Moderator cut: for copy write issues this has to be cut, but I added the link

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-05-2006 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: copy write issues

Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times
Exclamation The only place I have ever heard of that gang is...

in my bed watcing MSNBC Investigates and on this board. How bad is the influence of this gang in the South? Is it more between rivals? Not that innocent bi-standers couldn't get hurt...but what is their motive? Random Terror? Pay back? turf?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 AM

130 posts, read 475,291 times
this post is rediculous!!! come to south florida and you will see a real problem.
i think it is crazy to think the problem is worse in E. TN than in inner cities. get a clue to all of you who believe this nonsense. there will be evil people no matter where you go, but the problem is not possibly as big as the original poster wants us to think. sounds like someone who wants to keep transplants out. just my opionion!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
My eyes are bugging out!! HUH? WHAT? I am in the city limits of Chattanooga and within 30-40 minutes of "little Mexico" aka Dalton GA. Out of the 16 houses on my street, we have a mixture of Spanish cultures. Guatamala, Salvador, Mexico and Ecuador. Ok, one house I do have a problem with... they drive TOO fast down the street. My area is lower middle class and I am in the city limits. The problems I experience are probably the same as every other neighborhood in the US. YES, we do have gang/ghetto/crime areas that I do avoid at night. I also happen to work in one of those areas and have no problems there during the day except those loud radios. I realize most of the posts relate to EAST TN but I had to jump in here. TN is a wonderful state and I AM NOT A REALTOR! Every location has their problems but to judge TN as a GANG state is a bit ridiculous. By far I would worry more about the gun-toting beer drinkin rednecks whose trucks are capable of running right over the hood of your Honda

Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
I, locally, will for sure keep an eye on the story in the paper, link in the other post, and please note the two men were from Gate City VA and a Kingsport town, on the boarder of VA and they are both being deported.
No, gangs are Not an issue here and as you know, I am not a Realtor. But I can honestly say, I do not believe this will become an issue either. I will put money on the guess that whom ever these thugs are in this instance are using that gang name to weasel there way out to the situation, thinking they are dealing with some little bitty police dept/ court system that can be scared. Common misconception of our police forces in smaller owns around here. How do I put this in a PC way?............those teenager "rednecks" that drove those big pick ups with the rebel flag and gun rack...well they grew up with love of family, community and country and become police officers in these towns. And are VERY good at there jobs (to protect and serve) and hard to ruffle.
Unfortunately, some of these illegals, and bad Americans too, that come here have watched to many re-runs of Dukes of Hazard and think life will be easy street here...NOT. I have been in some local court rooms when I was managing apartments and had to go to courts for evictions, had to sit through several hearings before mine came up..........Judges around here.....boy I never want to go up before them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee