Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM

48 posts, read 139,605 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five who currently live in Florida, moved here from New Jersey because my husband did not like the snow but now I cannot stand the extreme heat. I have been hearing a lot about Rhea County, Maryville and Chattanooga. Can anyone suggest which is the best area for family life re: schools/jobs etc. Need to have an idea of the rent for a 3-4 B/R home, an idea of what the electricity bill & water bill could be per month, cost of food and most of all what the temperature is like year long. I understand it rarely snows but is it at least cool from Fall - Spring? Any additional information is most welcome. Thanking you in advance.

Wendy-Margaret
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,427,256 times
Noticed no one has answered this yet...not sure on those particular towns, but Memphis (western TN) is HOT HOT HOT. I travel to Florida often, and it's no cooler here than it is in FL. It gets cooler here in the winter, but it's been in the upper 90's here for over a month. It was in the mid-80's in February, I remember that because I too hate the hot weather. It starts to cool down late Sept. And the humidity is bad (in Memphis), no better than in FL since we are in the Delta here.

Chattanooga might be a bit cooler because of the elevation....definitely check that out.

It snows a couple times a year here, but when it does snow...watch out. The cities are not prepared for it and they basically shut down. I grew up in the land of snow and can deal with feet of snow falling a night. Here, 1/4" can shut the city down

Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,123,614 times
I just came back from Newport in east TN and it was 85 degrees all week but compared to FL where i now live, It was very comfortable for me. wNo humidity, the nights were in the 60's and no mosquitos to bug me. It was really great. The temp did go up 5 degrees when we drove inland away from the mountains though.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 AM

Thanks to Pearlbob and Daniellefort for the information so far, maybe a few others will write & tell me about cooler areas that are safe to live but yet have all the basic essentials. Still awaiting word on rents and basic utility bills, any further info. from anyone out there is welcome.

Wendy-Margaret

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,123,614 times
I do recall the groceries were about the same price as here in FL. If any different, it wasn't by much for me to notice. I'm assuming that when people say the cost of living is cheaper, they are meaning housing and utilities which i have not experienced yet. I did notice rents in the newspaper were anywhere from $400 - $750 a month depending on the size of the home. We have been to TN in October, March and July and each time the weather was nice. A bit chilly in March being about 30's in the morning but it warmed up to 50 - 60 in the afternoon for the highs. In October, it was in the mid 60's to low 70's. These temps were in the Gatlinburg area right near the mountains so i'm sure it might be a bit warmer away from the mountains.

I did meet a man who moved from New Orleans to Seveirville. He was talking to us about the cost of living. he builds Fire places and in New Orleans he had to work 6 - 7 days a week just to pay his bills and he said compared to TN he only has to work 3 - 4 days and his utility bills are very small but he didn't give an example. He did say car insurance was $60 cheaper a month too. Probably not much help to you but i thought i'd throw it out there.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 44,340 times
Maryville City Schools are some of the best ranking in the state. Blount County can be hit or miss. Alcoa City are great. These are all in Blount County.

Rhea County is more rural, but very pretty.

Chattanooga is a great little city, but the schools are hit or miss.

Depends on what you are looking for- all are very pretty areas.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks to everyone who has written so far, will keep everything in mind as I continue my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee