Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:23 PM

130 posts, read 566,535 times

Advertisements

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I just found this board and figured I’d sign up and say hi. Here’s the new guy introduction:

I was born in Connecticut and moved to Florida when I was 19. I work in the plumbing industry and like sport bikes, hunting, anything racing and the usual guy stuff. I’m single with no kids and really close with my small but wonderful family which consists of my sister, mom, brother in law, five year old nephew and two year old niece. My family situation segue’s nicely into the reason behind my introduction/post:

After 16 years in Florida, I want to relocate to Tennessee. My family has wanted to move for a few years and I was the last hold out but I’ve finally decided that I’m ready to go as well. I have a great job here in Florida and was resistant to the idea of relocating for a long time but I think I’ve reached a point in my life (getting old, 35 today) that my family’s happiness and enjoyment in life is more important than money. Away we go.

I was going to shoot for Maryville but didn’t have much luck with employment. I was however reintroduced to the term “overqualified” more than once. I’m now leaning toward Chattanooga. I’m online researching the area now (which is how I found this board) and everything seems very positive about the region. My logic is that Chattanooga would be great for my hobbies since there are great motorcycle roads to the east and terrific hunting to the west….now I just need to locate gainful employment and I’ll have it all figured out.

The employment part is a big question mark at this point. I’m trying to find some large, reputable plumbing contractors in Chattanooga (any opinions would be greatly appreciated) so I can narrow my focus and put the wheels of employment in motion.

Okay, I’m starting to ramble…I do that sometimes.

Anyway, that’s my story and please add me to the list of Florida to Tennessee exodus.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2006, 12:05 AM

105 posts, read 270,744 times
I used to drive through Chattanooga fairly often while going north on I-75. Along one particular stretch of interstate through downtown, there is a lake on one side of the interstate, and on the other side, up on a hill, there is a huge metal building with a huge sign on it. I forget the name of the company, but it's some PIPE company. Maybe you oughta drive around and look for it . I think I-75 traffic bypasses that stetch now.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:23 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
I just happened to stumble onto this site. I didn't realize there were so many of us Floridians moving to Tennessee.

If anyone has any suggestions on rural towns please let me know. We would like to buy property in the next year or two and make the final move in the next 3 to 5 years. We want about 20 acres. We plan on putting up a main family home and over time having each of the 5 kids build their own small cabin on the property. And we have to be allowed to have horses!!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
Smile Escaping Florida

Not only are we planning to move, we already bought property in Tennessee. My wife and I went up to the area north of Jackson. When I did research on the Internet I was impressed with the amount of industry and number of jobs in that area. The small towns and counties self promote the area because companies move in and train people. We're no different. We were offered incentives to relocate our business to Tennessee, which is what we are doing. We have a small machine shop, which manufactures for a niche market. The opportunities expressed by the local government were outstanding. Both County and State agencies that handle small businesses contacted us, wanting to know how they can help to insure our success in Tenn. Way more than the State of Florida ever did. All they want is tax money (Fl). We see our business expanding in Tennessee and our family enjoying the life style. Tennessee is rich in history and quality of life. You go at the pace you set, not what someone sets for you.

Frank

Old 03-15-2006, 10:06 PM

94 posts, read 387,815 times
Smile Help for Joe

Hello Joe, I think you will not have any trouble at all finding work in the Chattanooga area. I would recommend that you find the plumbers local union there and let them put you to work.

Chattanooga is fortunate to have Sequoyah Nuclear plant and some more TVA fossil plants in the area.

There is always work for craft people on an outage--The local there can get you in on that. Most people do an outage through the spring and summer and take off for the winter months to hunt, etc.

At any rate I don't think you will have trouble finding steady work.

If you need something specific I can get for you let me know.

Kerry Thomas
Kklynnt@bledsoe.net

Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 PM

118 posts, read 465,605 times
I grew up in Alabama. My wife grew up in Germany but lived in Finland for 20 years. We now live in Panama City Beach, FL and are sick of the heat, humidity, tourists and high rise construction. So we are also moving to TN.
We will leave this weeks in route to Johnson City to have a looksee and get a feel for the area. I sure hope we like it, if not, we will look around Cookeville and Crossville. We are so sick of hurricanes and it will be wonderful to go to a real forest and not just a pine thicket.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:52 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Another option for those interested is outside of Nashville. I started looking in Chattanooga and didn't have any luck with homes and jobs clicking. I began enlarging the circle around there until I got to Nashville. We knew we wanted to stay east of there as I have family outside of Johnson City and on the TN / NC border. The area around McMinnville was perfect. Small little towns and everyone is friendly. The drive to a larger city - whether it be McMinnville or really big like Nashville - isn't too bad. We drive over an hour to get to work where we are in Florida, so 35 minutes to an hour isn't too bad for us.

Good luck to all. I just love that everyone is finding how great this state is!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 22,775 times
Default Mee too.

Hey there , yes another packing and moving north to Tennessee. I have been here almost all of my life in south florida and have realized that it is time to take my wife and children to a nice place like Tennessee. We have decided on Knoxville. Everyone has told me that I will love it there. While I will miss fishing for Dolphin , which is going on right now , and being able to golf year round, I am excited. I have discovered that there are alot of people that are moving. I guess it is time to get to a better way of life. My issue is that I just love the people in my town. They love me. Last nite we had a going away party and many tears were shed. So, I will start again in Tennesse in about 1 week.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,866 times
Default Trying to decide if we should move to NE Tenn/Va.

Hi, any advice would be appreciated. We are in No. Florida and have a job op in the Bristol/Abingdon area. Our youngest is finishing 10th grade, so is hesitant to move and leave the comfort of friends and teachers. The current Jacksonville school is O.K. The good part is we know how it works, the teachers, and our student is doing well. It is inner city, however, so the neighborhood around it is a no-go, and there's not alot of choices at school as far as decent friends. Some are trouble, and some have just so many angst issues. Whatever happened to friends and light-hearted fun? My parents, brother-in-law, and friends are within 100 miles, so we would miss them. But--the opportunities to have a successful business seem good, and the housing and taxes seem to be a better deal compared to Florida. Then, with Bristol being between Tenn. and Va., one is confused as to which is the better state to live in. Virginia has state taxes, but lower sales tax. They both have good colleges, since we would like to have the "resident" advantage when it's time to apply, but I'm more familiar with the Va. schools, having lived for 15 years in Northern Virginia, off the beltway. Any advice someone can give me as to schools and housing in this border area would be most welcome.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 PM

28 posts, read 91,550 times
Default Don't leave FL!

Just a heads up! If you are use to Florida, just make SURE you are ready to move to TN. We just moved here 3 months ago and there are many things we take for granted when we live there. I have to take care of my sick child but will share more later. I MISS FL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee