Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:26 PM

51 posts, read 67,265 times

Advertisements

In 2002 we bought 5 acres on top of a mountain with a fantastic view in Polk
county between Ducktown and Turtletown. The plan is to build in the near future. After many visits to our property and talking to several locals I have been told that there is a terrible meth problem in that area, can anyone
shed some advice on that. Thanks in advance.

Floridacracker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM

810 posts, read 3,307,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacracker
county between Ducktown and Turtletown. The plan is to build in the near future. After many visits to our property and talking to several locals I have been told that there is a terrible meth problem in that area, can anyone

Floridacracker
There's meth problems all over the USA. Usually in rural areas though.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,966 times
Default Meth???

That was a concern of mine too when we first started looking at TN. We live in NY presently and we are in a rural area- there may be a Meth problem here but I or my 3 kids have not been exposed to it(Thank God)...there are the small town druggies that everyone knows--people that do pot or whatever but as for Meth...I do not or have not heard of it--so when TN came into our lives I was alarmed at that problem--it seems very rampant in TN--and I'm not too sure why--all I can say is that if the locals have been telling you about it--thats scary! Maybe you can look up facts on the Methfree TN web site- I know they are really pushing against it wih different posters and programs in their schools...good luck with your land--

Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM

Heathersmom,

I was very surprised from what I was hearing from the locals so I did do a little research about meth in Tennessee and was surprised at the statistics.
Occasionally we find drug paraphernalia on a few of the lots near the end of our development that has rear access from the state forrest road. Our lot usually
has a few empty beer cans, spent fireworks and occasionally a spent condom,
looks like young kids doing what they do on Friday and Saturday night. I have
actually put metal poles that are concreted in the ground with a chain or cable and a pad lock, but usually my next visit the poles are still intact but cable and lock are gone. Hopefully as we or others start to build this will stop
and we won't have to worry about it.

Floridacracker

Old 08-31-2006, 01:42 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,966 times
Default Yuck!

Nothing like finding "spent" condoms in your yard! Gives me the heebeegeebees

Old 09-02-2006, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 24,547 times
I live the next county over in McMinn, the county that is reputed to have the biggest Meth problem is the one west of McMinn called Meigs county. I work with the children that have been removed from their parents that have been caught doing meth and it has taken the county awhile to aknowledge there was a problem and then awhile to educate themselves to address the problem. The police are being trained and funded to fight this now and that is a good thing, at least it is not as rampant as it was a few years ago.

I ride my motorcycle through Polk county and it is considered one of the prettiest areas to ride through around here.

Last edited by Calabash; 09-02-2006 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,983 times
Default Meth

Unfortunately there is an increase in that activity in the area. We have bought property in the Cherokee Nat'l Forest. We lived there in the 70's when it was "moonshine" and marajuana. Now they have progressed. Because there is still so much secluded forest area and lack of Law Inforcement there.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 12,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacracker View Post

Floridacracker
I live in Turtletown and there is a meth problem.But from what I can see this is a problem that is all over the United States, not just here.Yes it seems to be a bigger problem in small towns, like our community.
Also on a positive note. We have a good recovery system working in polk county. The judge and the courts are working with recovery groups to try to prevent this problem from growing. I can see a positive outcome occuring from all this hard work.
Also good people like yourself moving into our area and building homes is helping our work force and this help build a positive outlook on life itself.With the growth of jobs and things to do in the area this will be a great tool in fighting this problem. welcome to our area. thank you

Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Builder????

Thanks Second Chance, It's nice to talk to a local, every chance I get to visit my property I don't want to return to Florida, it's just so dog-gone beautiful up there!!! I certainly want to build a second home there and plan to move there sometime later....who knows. Can you recommend a local builder in the area, have talked to a couple of local ones and many down in Blueridge and Ellijay. All the ones I have talked to in TN say stay way from the ones in northern Georgia. Thanks in advance.

Floridacracker

Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 12,142 times
I will get back with you in a couple of days. Let me do some research on qualified builders in the area. I do have a couple in mind that are very good.My self all I do is landscaping. I 've been doing this for 7 years. Also I'm getting into to selling tracts of property in our area. This area is a very beautiful, place and has lots of positive things things going on here. Well, got to go to work, talk to you soon. p.s. I also live between Ducktown and Turtletown. I have lived here all 42 years of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee