Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 PM

258 posts, read 1,003,438 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is looking for a full time music teaching position in either Illinois or Wisconsin for the 2010-2011 school year. We live in Michigan and just had her position cut to budget concerns, she is 24 years old and has experience teaching music part time at a couple of schools but is not under tenure yet... if not Illinois or southern Wisconsin, which are our priorities, what states have the best budgets for teachers right now? Texas has added the most people in recent years, I'm assuming Texas is the place to go, or Utah or Wyoming out west because it is growing there as well. We dont want to live anywhere but Illinois or Wisconsin in the midwest, and do not want to move to North or South Dakota, Kansas, or anyplace near those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Honestly, if you choose a career in a niche field, you have to be willing to follow the jobs where they are (even if it's ND...). Music Education is going to be really tough, because it's always the first to get cut.

Northern Virginia is still hiring, but the cost of living will be significantly higher than Illinois or Wisconsin, so be prepared. I have no idea if they are hiring music teachers.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 PM

571 posts, read 1,302,908 times
Music teaching jobs can be difficult to find. Heck, jobs of any kind can be hard to find. Regarding teaching jobs, even if some states claim to have reciprocity with Michigan, there are a thousand hoops that you need to jump through before you are "qualified" to teach in another state.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,216 times
Maybe your girlfriend can expand her search to include private instrument teaching. My son takes piano at an enrichment center. We pay $22 per 1/2 hr lesson, which I think is low. We would have had to pay $45 for 1/2 hr private lesson where we used to go. The place we go is pretty new, not music focus per se, but the owner told me that their private music lessons are really booming. They've had to hire 5 music/instrument teachers in the pass year. Not full time though. I think it's per diem.

Parents are always looking for music enrichment especially when music programs are dying in the public schools. It's not really what you're looking for, but it can bring in some money while your girlfriend is searching for a more permanent teaching position. Our music teacher does quite well. She teaches voice lessons also. She makes her own schedule and she just pays a portion of each lesson to the enrichment center. But she has very little openings in her schedule and she only started this past September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching