Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,019 times

Advertisements

A question out of curiosity please, for teachers: do most schools that use/allow TI calculators also allow HP calculators, if a student wants to use an HP model calculator rather than a TI one? For example: if a student wanted to use an HP 48G+, 48GX, 48GII, 49G, or 50G, instead of say a TI-82, TI-83, TI-84, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, or TI-92?

When I was in school and in college, and while all of my classmates used TI calculators, I was the only student that I know of, who used an HP 48G/GX calculator, so I can kinda remember being the odd duck out, so to speak Don't get the wrong though, TI calculators are also very nice -- it's just that the moment I saw an HP calculator in action, I knew I absolutely had to have one. I was fortunate and blessed that my teachers allowed me to use it -- I cleared my memory each and every time, before I took a test, to ensure that the calculator did not confer any sort of unfair advantage, of course.

Since it's been some years since I was last in school, again I was just rather curious, if teachers are hopefully also still open today in 2014, to students potentially substituting an HP calculator for a TI, if they voluntarily wanted to do so? I tried searching for earlier threads on HP calculators here on C-D, but was unable to find any, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,430 times
My kid's high school does, as does the SAT: Calculator Policy

Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
I used Casios myself, preferred the FX 2.0 but mostly stuck with their scientific calculators as I found that I rarely graphed anything on the calc even through the calculus series. I so wanted an HP but never got around to purchasing one. However, the TI-86, for how dated it has now become, is in my opinion the best non-CAS TI.

The only advantage to having a TI is that TI cornered the education market, teachers are familiar with it, documentation is everywhere, and most likely other students have one, too, so if you are in need of a tutorial you will not travel far to find one.

Every single math class I took "required" a TI-83 or TI-84, but noone said a word to me. So yes, the HP calcs are typically allowed but also typically in-class instruction will be "taught" using the Tis.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
I suspect mostly it's that teachers don't know RPN (Never got the hang of it myself; pretty much you either love it or hate it) but do know how to use the TI. Casio is similar to TI.

Oops old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching